Pages:
Author

Topic: Gun freedom advocates - what weapons shouldn't be legally available? - page 5. (Read 10832 times)

Activity: 215
Merit: 100
The 2nd amendment doesn't place any limits. Our founding fathers knew we wouldn't always be limited to muskets, that technology would advance beyond their capabilities at the time.

Many people forget that the 2nd isn't about hunting or sport shooting, it's about being prepared to fight a tyrannical government.
It's not about guns, it's about people. I put my gun on the table and tried to bribe it to go off, but it just sat there...couldn't convince it to do anything on it's own.

An armed society is a polite society....the cities in the US with the strictest gun control have the highest incidents of crime...wonder why?

Criminals don't follow the laws. If a person is deemed unfit to have a firearm, he shouldn't be walking the streets. Maake the penalities for crimes severe...no more of this 5-10 for armed robberies and out in 3, same for murder, a sentence of life, should mean just that, not eligible for parole in 11 yrs 7 months.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Stupid people shouldn't be able to own cars either, but they do. Forgive my cynicism, but I have difficulty believing a government could actually educate and train almost any applicant sufficiently to prevent accidental firearm murders.  

The problem here is if you don't think that the government aren't capable of educating or training people in firearms then what makes you think they'll be at all competent in enforcing a ban?

I have no idea how competent a government would be in enforcing a ban. Probably not very good, given the number of unlicenced car drivers in many countries. You're still ascribing me preferences I don't have. From a previous post:

I think gun control in the US would cause more problems than it would solve.

I'm not really following this part:

From what I've seen American soldiers and police officers are worse than the gun owners that they're going to be banning. I shouldn't have to remind people about the infamous friendly fire incident which got British soldiers killed in Iraq which is why I am seriously staggered that anyone would suggest banning guns is going to achieve anything worthwhile.

Just to show I'm not hugely biased and just being anti-american the Tottenham riots which happened recently were supposedly started off by British police officers who were doing an arrest and ended up shooting the guy they were going to get, there was a big fuss about whether or not he resisted and stuff or did anything to deserve it. Which pretty much shows you that the idea that anyone has a right over other people to defend themselves or uphold the law with or without guns is just plain bullshit.

As far as I'm concerned the idea that police or government forces are some how 'morally' superior in enforcing this etc. is just silly loyalist propaganda.

I'm not sure this is a conversation you're having with me, or a chance to blow off steam on a topic about which you feel strongly. Fair enough! We all have our favourite rant topics Wink

But I don't want to be dragged sideways into a conversation about things of which I know even less than the thread topic, and about which I have not yet formed an opinion.

Maybe you have misunderstood the general point I've been trying to make in this thread. A while after starting the thread I came to a conclusion: making arbitrary distinctions in the legality of weapons and then rationalising those categories is pointless.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Stupid people shouldn't be able to own cars either, but they do. Forgive my cynicism, but I have difficulty believing a government could actually educate and train almost any applicant sufficiently to prevent accidental firearm murders.  

The problem here is if you don't think that the government aren't capable of educating or training people in firearms then what makes you think they'll be at all competent in enforcing a ban? From what I've seen American soldiers and police officers are worse than the gun owners that they're going to be banning. I shouldn't have to remind people about the infamous friendly fire incident which got British soldiers killed in Iraq which is why I am seriously staggered that anyone would suggest banning guns is going to achieve anything worthwhile.

Just to show I'm not hugely biased and just being anti-american the Tottenham riots which happened recently were supposedly started off by British police officers who were doing an arrest and ended up shooting the guy they were going to get, there was a big fuss about whether or not he resisted and stuff or did anything to deserve it. Which pretty much shows you that the idea that anyone has a right over other people to defend themselves or uphold the law with or without guns is just plain bullshit.

As far as I'm concerned the idea that police or government forces are some how 'morally' superior in enforcing this etc. is just silly loyalist propaganda.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Yeah, like that South African Olympian that killed his girlfriend because he thought she was an intruder.  

The answer to this is simple, stupid people shouldn't be able to own guns, which is why I advocate education and training, not gun control

Regardless, the quote was a response to the following:

.......Not only that, it's seemed to most that the Olympian incident it was murder, how do you shoot someone that many times and 'think' they were an intruder?

Usually defendants in those kind of cases either plead insanity or claim it was an accident to try and reduce their jail time once they realise they've been caught, it isn't normally to do with them being innocent at all.

Let's wait for the current legal case to be completed before we call the defendant a murderer.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Yeah, like that South African Olympian that killed his girlfriend because he thought she was an intruder.  

The answer to this is simple, stupid people shouldn't be able to own guns, which is why I advocate education and training, not gun control, I often look at these incidents and even without any knowledge of guns am amazed at the complete stupidity of the people who caused this. Not only that, it's seemed to most that the Olympian incident it was murder, how do you shoot someone that many times and 'think' they were an intruder?

Usually defendants in those kind of cases either plead insanity or claim it was an accident to try and reduce their jail time once they realise they've been caught, it isn't normally to do with them being innocent at all.
donator
Poor impulse control.
@snapsunny

The political ideology to which a country adheres doesn't have a signficant impact on rates of gun violence. Look at the main capitalist developed nations of the world. Most are clearly capitalist, none have greater rates of gun violence than the US.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Capitalism = crime enabling = gun violence. 

Care to make this non sequitur into something that makes sense?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
I guess there's no way around it.  Capitalism = crime enabling = gun violence.  So gun control of any sort just leads to normal people being accused of crime, and thus they become criminals.  Freedom of all weaponry is just as scary.  Of course, those who enjoy their guns know why it's important to keep guns free; whenever anyone finally decides to make the first move against the terrorists in the WH, having even fire power against the offense is vital to actually winning the battle.  However, instituting a ban on certain weaponry wouldn't stop someone from getting it if they really wanted to get it.  So it's clear: the gun debate isn't actually about guns, it's about stopping the gov from procuring all control over resistance to tyranny, which a ban on guns would do, as those who are above the law still have the right to the banned guns and can still take out American citizens easily.  Problem is, it still doesn't solve crime, and never will.  The only solution to crime is to remove incentive to commit crime, which requires people to abandon any hope of becoming wealthier than someone else.  I don't see that happening in my lifetime Sad
Tongue  That's a weapon for killing, not defense.
Aren't all firearms for killing - and defense or offense depends on the situation?  Wink

Not killing, stopping. We the law-abiding, who gun control advocates ultimately advocate rendering disarmed and defenseless (despite their categorical BS to the contrary), do not intend to murder, we just want the violent aggression against us stopped. If the aggressor dies, then that is an unfortunate result of their own actions. If you never want a law-abider's gun pointed at you, don't commit violent crime, and if you do, then join your fellow criminals in prison interviews saying "I'm scared of my victims having guns, please pass more gun control against them to keep me safe!", or end up in the hospital, or the morgue.

For every example of a law-abiding person who accidentally shoots a loved one that you provide, I can provide 5 or six of intruders stopped and families saved, and 3 or 4 of law-enforcers shooting innocent civilians (or their dogs).

If you're looking for harm reduction, gun control is not the way to do it.

I don't disagree with you myrkul. I think gun control in the US would cause more problems than it would solve. Although I could disagree with your statement as it applies to any specific country, depending on the available statistics for that country.

The point I'd hope I was making by creating this thread was that making arbitrary distinctions and then rationalising them is just silly. You have explained what TheButterZone was trying to explain much better on many occasions, without providing rationalisations that are illogical or are not well thought through.

If the legality of certain weapons is to be made questionable, then a legal framework needs to be decided on beforehand - not added on so that it agrees with popular beliefs.

Which is why I do not advocate placing any restriction on weapon ownership, only that they not be used in aggression.
donator
Poor impulse control.
Aren't all firearms for killing - and defense or offense depends on the situation?  Wink

Not killing, stopping. We the law-abiding, who gun control advocates ultimately advocate rendering disarmed and defenseless (despite their categorical BS to the contrary), do not intend to murder, we just want the violent aggression against us stopped. If the aggressor dies, then that is an unfortunate result of their own actions. If you never want a law-abider's gun pointed at you, don't commit violent crime, and if you do, then join your fellow criminals in prison interviews saying "I'm scared of my victims having guns, please pass more gun control against them to keep me safe!", or end up in the hospital, or the morgue.

For every example of a law-abiding person who accidentally shoots a loved one that you provide, I can provide 5 or six of intruders stopped and families saved, and 3 or 4 of law-enforcers shooting innocent civilians (or their dogs).

I don't disagree with you myrkul. I think gun control in the US would cause more problems than it would solve. Although I could disagree with your statement as it applies to any specific country, depending on the available statistics for that country.

The point I'd hope I was making by creating this thread was that making arbitrary distinctions and then rationalising them is just silly. You have explained what TheButterZone was trying to explain much better on many occasions, without providing rationalisations that are illogical or are not well thought through.

If the legality of certain weapons is to be made questionable, then a legal framework needs to be decided on beforehand - not added on so that it agrees with popular beliefs.

donator
Poor impulse control.

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
Tongue  That's a weapon for killing, not defense.
Aren't all firearms for killing - and defense or offense depends on the situation?  Wink

Not killing, stopping. We the law-abiding, who "gun control" advocates (100% of criminals) ultimately advocate rendering disarmed and defenseless (despite their categorical BS to the contrary), do not intend to murder, we just want the violent aggression against us stopped. If the aggressor dies, then that is an unfortunate result of their own actions. If you never want a law-abider's gun pointed at you, don't commit violent crime, and if you do, then join your fellow criminals in prison interviews saying "I'm scared of my victims having guns, please pass more gun control to keep me safe by only disarming innocent victims!", or the morgue if you really want to commit suicide by armed victim.

I expect those who were informed they were ignored for being scumbags will continue being scumbags and quote this post, knowing they can get away with their bullshit replies.
donator
Poor impulse control.
How biological is biological? Do nano-weapons counts?
Maybe change that to "no self replicating weapons"

Do von Neumann machine weapons count?
Activity: 702
Merit: 503

This is hillarious!  Cheesy

He is the best shotgun salesman ever! Now, i want to buy a double-barrel shotgun! Which one is a good one?  Cheesy

legendary
RIP Mommy
I think only weapons used for self defense should be legally available.  Nobody needs to defend themselves against an onslaught of attackers with an automatic assault rifle Tongue  That's a weapon for killing, not defense.

Because criminals only EVER work alone. Yep.

And actually an automatic assault rifle is a weapon for missing "the enemy" most of the time, and getting "the enemy" to duck, cover, and retreat. In reality, it's called suppressive fire, not "when you absolutely positively have to kill everyone in the room" fire.

You have a point!  I'm not very good with guns so forgive me Grin  But point remains, if you're ever in need of an assault rifle, you should probably just move to a better place.

Human rights are inherent, not granted on a "need" basis.

What is a "better" place? An underground bunker where no criminal can get to you (without a bunker buster bomb) without dying in a gauntlet that only you can disarm? We'd prefer not to live in a self-imposed prison of no liberty, in the name of "security".
legendary
I think only weapons used for self defense should be legally available.  Nobody needs to defend themselves against an onslaught of attackers with an automatic assault rifle Tongue  That's a weapon for killing, not defense.

And actually an automatic assault rifle is a weapon for missing "the enemy" most of the time, and getting "the enemy" to duck, cover, and retreat. In reality, it's called suppressive fire, not "when you absolutely positively have to kill everyone in the room" fire.

You have a point!  I'm not very good with guns so forgive me Grin  But point remains, if you're ever in need of an assault rifle, you should probably just move to a better place.
legendary
RIP Mommy
I think only weapons used for self defense should be legally available.  Nobody needs to defend themselves against an onslaught of attackers with an automatic assault rifle Tongue  That's a weapon for killing, not defense.

legendary

Then again, I also advocate an unregulated market...  I don't know what to believe anymore!
Activity: 675
Merit: 513
How biological is biological? Do nano-weapons counts?
Maybe change that to "no self replicating weapons"
Pages:
Jump to: