Pages:
Author

Topic: Guns - page 30. (Read 22182 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 26, 2012, 01:47:54 PM
"Weapons are an important factor in war, but not the decisive one; it is man and not materials that counts."
Mao Tse-Tung

This can be applied to every day usage..  Its the person that kills people, not the gun.
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
June 26, 2012, 01:40:53 PM
What makes you nervous when you see people other than grannies with guns?  Are you concerned they may do you harm?

My feeling is that freedom is something we all have until we prove to society we cannot responsibly behave.

My example is "open carry" laws.  With these someone can carry a firearm in public without harassment.  If this person goes on private property without the owners permission, that is illegal.  If the person acts in a threatening manner in public, that is illegal.  If the person commits a felony with a firearm, no more freedom.

This is a perfectly reasonable way to look at freedoms in general.  If you change firearm to bicycle or baseball bat it still works.

Activity: 369
Merit: 250
June 26, 2012, 01:35:20 PM
Removing the right of firearms to citizens only hurts them.  That won't take the guns away from criminals.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
June 26, 2012, 01:29:54 PM
I've decided that I want to come to an opinion about guns. Recently it was said in the PorcFest thread that many people were openly carrying guns. Should that make me nervous or not? I see both sides of the argument. On one hand, I wouldn't want to be walking down a shady alley in NYC and see lots of people with guns. On the other hand, a peaceful grandma carrying a gun for self-defense doesn't bother me. I'm obviously biased. Similarly, I like freedom (and live in the US) and would like the freedom to be able to defend myself using a gun. However, I don't think I'd like being shot, pepper-spray and other non-firearm self-defense methods work pretty well, etc.

I like to learn from history, so I'm leaning towards the "freedom"/NRA side of things (based on the second amendment), but the thought of some drunk angry person buying a gun and turning around to shoot up the town makes me want regulations... but what if I want to revolt against the government? Will the regulations prevent that?

This seems to be a worse situation than a "fine line;" the sides of the argument overlap, so there's no perfect place to be at.

Help! Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: