Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacked and stolen - page 3. (Read 4028 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
May 17, 2013, 10:31:46 AM
I think there needs to be some kind of dedicated offline hardware wallet... Not a whole separate computer that you keep offline, but just like a $50 device, maybe powered by a raspberry pi or something, and with a small touch screen and an SD slot, and the only thing you can do with it is create private/public keys, transactions, and send the public key/transaction to the SD card to distribute to an online computer.

Like an Android wallet you use on a device that has no cell service connected to it and wifi off until you are ready to send the transaction to your online device?
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
May 17, 2013, 10:29:45 AM
I think there needs to be some kind of dedicated offline hardware wallet... Not a whole separate computer that you keep offline, but just like a $50 device, maybe powered by a raspberry pi or something, and with a small touch screen and an SD slot, and the only thing you can do with it is create private/public keys, transactions, and send the public key/transaction to the SD card to distribute to an online computer.

yvv
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
May 17, 2013, 10:28:53 AM

The only safe way is to have an OFFLINE computer, create a transaction on it and then copy the transaction on the online computer.

Could you elaborate, please. This sounds interesting, but how do you copy a transaction? How do you sync the blockchain on offline computer?

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
May 17, 2013, 10:27:00 AM
The problem about paperwallet bitcoins is that to use them you need to get the private key on a pc. And if it is not offline, you risk to lose everything no matter what.

The only safe way is to have an OFFLINE computer, create a transaction on it and then copy the transaction on the online computer.

That's exactly what I do.
Really I don't need a paper wallet because I have a OFFLINE computer, but I always like to go the extra step.

FYI: bitcoinarmory.com
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
May 17, 2013, 10:25:09 AM
The problem about paperwallet bitcoins is that to use them you need to get the private key on a pc. And if it is not offline, you risk to lose everything no matter what.

That's exactly what I do.
Really I don't need a paper wallet because I have a OFFLINE computer, but I always like to go the extra step.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
May 17, 2013, 10:25:04 AM
I was thinking of something very similar to your suggestion.  Some type of hardware wallet that can be used to store/transfer BTC without worrying about the host OS/Software being an attack vector.  I also like some of the other suggestions further up the list.  2 factor authentication in the client, daily limits, email confirmation before sending coin, user defined send delays that allows a cancel action during that delay.  

Many of you work in IT and have supported non-IT "users/customers" at some point, so you know this is truth:  There isn't enough education in the world that will make users behave intelligently on a computer.  We must find a way to make it "Grandma Proof" not spend effort on educating folks.  One in ten may take heed but that isn't enough to drive universal acceptance.  Perception is reality, and if people perceive BTC as unsafe then it is unsafe for them.

The truth is that we need a real hardware wallet wich allow you to make transactions without the risk of being infected.  Totally air-gapped. Otherwise you will have your private key in your pc/smartphone, wich can be infected.

Also a note about virus scans: if the computer is infected, scans may be totally useless because the virus might have comprimised the antivirus too. An infected pc is TOTALLY unreliable, the only safe way to fix it is to format it and every hard disks on it and probably whatever you connected to it (usb keys, external drives etc). Otherwise a clever virus may happily survive.
Activity: 774
Merit: 500
Lazy Lurker Reads Alot
May 17, 2013, 10:23:00 AM
I see i have posted in my anger a statement which i should not have made

For that i do make my apology to the good members of the community.

But i sincerely would like to see some kinda secure system or a bank where you can put the coins for safe keeping with some kind of protection if it is being hacked.

I sure as hell would have instant used it if it existed in the first place.

I can tell you that when i retrace the bitcoin address that several hundreds of bitcoins are being processed so i am sure many more people have lost their belongings besides me.

Also the stealing from me is shortly after i reported the botnetter which had infected many friends their pc's with a secret miner to some pool owners, another fact is that i retraced on all those pc's that they was infiltrated from ip's originated which are located within Iran
Ofcourse those pc's also could have been victims of the culprit(s) for that i can not provide enough proof, i just can state they was all in iran.

Second i do think if bitcoin wants to become a system which all can use that there should be some kinda way to to get the money back if this kinda things happen
At our banking system you can reclaim a payement if it has been made in error. That ofcourse needs some kinda group of persons who would see if that claim is valid or just another try for scamming someone. If a bank goes bancrupt you get payed by a governement fund up to 100.000 euro.

I would like to thank those who expressed their sympathie as well by this post. These criminals make a promising iniative very bad

legendary
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
May 17, 2013, 10:22:20 AM

staff
May 17, 2013, 10:21:28 AM
OP,

I wish you the best and hope you CAN recover from this.
It's not nice at all, I have never had my Bitcoins stolen like this, but I have been scammed which is pretty much the same.

Best of luck!
staff
May 17, 2013, 10:19:54 AM
+1, Bitcoin is ready, Bitcoin it's self has not had a problem.

Imaging that bitcoin gains adoption and people start buying and massively using bitcoin tomorrow. After a few cases like OP has, mass media will destroy bitcoin's reputation claiming that it's insecure. That's it.

Bitcoin-QT has wallet encryption off by default. It's like your interenet banking is with empty password by default. Do you call this ready?

AGAIN, that is not BITCOIN itself, that's the users who mess up. Bitcoin can be stored safe on a paper wallet.
Internet  banking is the safe, I don't use it personally, why?
One of my friends has had their money taken, yes it was returned, but that's not the point.

People who understand, know how to make a paper wallet, now say that your house get's broken into and they find this 'paper wallet' this paper wallet can be disguised and not look like anything but a product key, someone who doesn't know what Bitcoin is, will not have a clue.

Anyway, I don't even store my paper wallet in my house, but in a external location.
Activity: 309
Merit: 250
May 17, 2013, 10:16:40 AM
Just like mass media destroyed internet reputation claiming that is is insecure? Yeah well, mass media probably will cry about that, but people will still use bitcoin, more secure ways will appear.

More secure ways will and should appear. But now it's far from being ready for an ordinary user to use in terms of security.
legendary
May 17, 2013, 10:14:28 AM

Imaging that bitcoin gains adoption and people start buying and massively using bitcoin tomorrow. After a few cases like OP has, mass media will destroy bitcoin's reputation claiming that it's insecure. That's it.

Bitcoin-QT has wallet encryption off by default. It's like your interenet banking is with empty password by default. Do you call this ready?
Just like mass media destroyed internet reputation claiming that is is insecure? Yeah well, mass media probably will cry about that, but people will still use bitcoin, more secure ways will appear.

Activity: 309
Merit: 250
May 17, 2013, 10:13:22 AM

staff
May 17, 2013, 10:12:32 AM
You could if you really wanted to, store your Bitcoins on your own dedicated server but to be quite honest, your better of having a paper wallet, they are more secure than any of the methods I have came across.

What do you think of my suggestion in my second post on page 1 of this thread?

I like your post, you said about encryption and how back ups can be used, and that is 100% correct.
Encryption basically does nothing, at all with the Bitcoin client.
staff
May 17, 2013, 10:10:47 AM
Would you keep $10,000 in cash sitting around your house with only a simple door lock protecting it? No. You would take it and put it somewhere more safe. Yet you do the equivalent with bitcoins and suddenly it's everybody else's fault.

If you don't know how computer security works then use blockchain.info wallet with google authenticator and a random password.

So, you think BANKS are more secure than storing your own money? If that's the case look at the Cyprus case.
To be honest, Banks are about as safe as storing your money in a fire proof safe.
However, I wouldn't put my money around my house, I would have it in a external location.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
May 17, 2013, 10:09:22 AM
You could if you really wanted to, store your Bitcoins on your own dedicated server but to be quite honest, your better of having a paper wallet, they are more secure than any of the methods I have came across.

What do you think of my suggestion in my second post on page 1 of this thread?
legendary
May 17, 2013, 10:09:09 AM
The truth is that we need a real hardware wallet wich allow you to make transactions without the risk of being infected.  Totally air-gapped. Otherwise you will have your private key in your pc/smartphone, wich can be infected.

Also a note about virus scans: if the computer is infected, scans may be totally useless because the virus might have comprimised the antivirus too. An infected pc is TOTALLY unreliable, the only safe way to fix it is to format it and every hard disks on it and probably whatever you connected to it (usb keys, external drives etc). Otherwise a clever virus may happily survive.
staff
May 17, 2013, 10:07:44 AM
OP actually brings up a topic no one really cares about:
Is current bitcoin ready for mainstream adoption in terms of security?
The answer is NO.

Bitcoin is ready. It has not been hacked, while wealth worth many billions of dollars has been safely transacted over years.

You are really asking are computers ready, and the answer is - it depends. Mine is.The one from the OP was not. Your question is like asking if dollars are ready. They do get stolen, right? Pickpocketed, scammed away, robbed, lost, burnt, stolen, whatever. Are our homes or pockets or banks ready for dollars and euros? It depends. Some of them are, some aren't.

Only the people who are using Bitcoin has had problems, for example this post. Because the currency is a online currency, it's more prone to attacks, but this is just the same as having your bank account online.
If you have your bank account online, it's the exactly the same as having your Bitcoin online, however, Bitcoin can be easier to get because it's located on your HD and more easier to access.
But, to counteract that in a few ways.
yvv
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
May 17, 2013, 10:07:28 AM
OP actually brings up a topic no one really cares about:
Is current bitcoin ready for mainstream adoption in terms of security?
The answer is NO.

Unfortunately, you are right. It is very risky to keep large part of your assets in btc, even if you are IT security pro.
Activity: 315
Merit: 255
May 17, 2013, 10:04:17 AM
Would you keep $10,000 in cash sitting around your house with only a simple door lock protecting it? No. You would take it and put it somewhere more safe. Yet you do the equivalent with bitcoins and suddenly it's everybody else's fault.

If you don't know how computer security works then use blockchain.info wallet with google authenticator and a random password.
Pages:
Jump to: