Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacked Linode & coins stolen to 1NRy8GbX56MymBhDYM... - page 11. (Read 62091 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

Hell if I know, I'm just saying that the proof is very shaky, I'll wait for a statement from Linode before I think they actually screwed up, but given this community's history for having 'trusted people' disappear with funds, I don't know how much the opinion of 'some people on this forum' matters.

Here is some more 'proof' for you. Although you're liable to dismiss this in the same manner as the other:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinica-warning-please-do-not-re-use-any-old-bitcoin-deposit-addresses-66961

Thralen

That corroborates the current theory (Linode admin leak).

What are you trying to prove with that link that is contrary to a Linode admin leak?
legendary
Activity: 1764
do these incidents not bode well for online clients like Electrum or Blockchain.info?

even with encrypted user generated private keys, they can be stolen by the server when opened to sign tx's.
Activity: 123
Merit: 100

Hell if I know, I'm just saying that the proof is very shaky, I'll wait for a statement from Linode before I think they actually screwed up, but given this community's history for having 'trusted people' disappear with funds, I don't know how much the opinion of 'some people on this forum' matters.

Here is some more 'proof' for you. Although you're liable to dismiss this in the same manner as the other:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinica-warning-please-do-not-re-use-any-old-bitcoin-deposit-addresses-66961

Thralen

Ah yes, a goddamn pastebin surely is proof

Do you see any other proof for the opposition posted, in addition there are corroborating reports from others as to the same thing occurring to them nearly simultaneously. Therefore the concept of admin access used for the crime is far more feasible. So we have proof of a sort vs. your opinion. Exactly why would be believe your opinion over even the slightest shred of proof?

Thralen
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
Boycott unless they fix it.

How will you be sure they "fixed it" unless they disclose the full vulnerability?
So, as you can never be sure, I say "boycott unless they greatly compensate Slush for the loss" - "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.

Bitcoin raises web hosting to a new level.  Yes, there are juicy non-bitcoin targets out there such as credit cards and personal data.  But there is nothing like bitcoin for a hacker thief.  Once you steal them, you can wait to use them, something that does not work as well with credit cards.  You can mix them, something you can not do with credit cards.  You can even lay down false tracks by sending them to peoples public addresses.  

Now you have 'data' that is pretty much worth a years (or more) salary for a typical sysadmin.  An employee of a webhost can take it and if they know what they are doing, they can be much 'safer' then stealing credit card information.  Right now the only crime is unauthorized access and data theft, not all of the other crimes that go along with credit card fraud that could involve massive jail time.  I am not saying if caught they would not go to jail, but laws have not caught up to bitcoin.  

I would not trust any shared host (VM or not) that has access to your data for a wallet over $1000.  The only way to do this is with encrypted disks that are setup or encrypted by the customer with no host access of any kind.  No 'control panel" based hosting.  
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I never hashed for this...
Terms of Service exist for a reason, even if it was their fault (which I somehow doubt, given their track record)

Have a more secure system in place next time.

Their track record? This last statement tells me you didn't read the thread. The access was from one of Linode's administrative accounts. Therefore the track record is not good... A more secure system would involve not using linode since the access came from them..

Please read the thread before commenting, otherwise you make yourself look foolish.

Thralen

Some people on this forum trust slush quite a bit.  What is his motivation to lie about this?

Activity: 435

How will you be sure they "fixed it" unless they disclose the full vulnerability?
So, as you can never be sure, I say "boycott unless they greatly compensate Slush for the loss" - "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.

They already disclosed that it was a support login that did it. What else do they need to disclose?

The proof that if it happens again, criminal charges will be taken against the offender, and the victim will be compensated - basically, a secure SLA.
For example. Was that too hard?

Cause if you don't need anything else and are satisfied with their reply as it is, then you have very minimal requirements with people who have responsibilities over your assets and it's people like you who endanger everyone else.

Dasse....
Activity: 219
Merit: 101
Terms of Service exist for a reason, even if it was their fault (which I somehow doubt, given their track record)

Their track record? This last statement tells me you didn't read the thread. The access was from one of Linode's administrative accounts. Therefore the track record is not good... A more secure system would involve not using linode since the access came from them..

Please read the thread before commenting, otherwise you make yourself look foolish.

Thralen

Some people on this forum trust slush quite a bit.  What is his motivation to lie about this?

Thralen

Activity: 219
Merit: 101
Linode does not owe you anything, especially an 'estimated value' of your Bitcoins.

Linode already acknowledged that it's their fault.  BTW I have a mat I'd love to sell you. It has conclusions on it and you can jump to them.

Thralen
Activity: 406

The attacker went outside his secure system and gained root access.  There's not much you can do about that except for not using a hosting service which allows attackers root access to your files.

How about encrypting the wallet ?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

The attacker went outside his secure system and gained root access.  There's not much you can do about that except for not using a hosting service which allows attackers root access to your files.
legendary
Activity: 1358

They already disclosed that it was a support login that did it. What else do they need to disclose?

@JeffK just crawl back under the rock you were since Jan 9, 2012.
Interesting that you came back just to say that...
Linode does not owe you anything, especially an 'estimated value' of your Bitcoins.

Activity: 435

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
It might be interesting, if, instead of balances, there were specific 'coins' in the protocol (at the moment, balances lose their individual identities, when they pass through a transaction)

Not true.  Each transaction into an address is a separate coin, and they are redeemed separately when you spend them.  They only mix when multiple coins are redeemed at the same time.

If you mean completely individual, non-mixing coins, I don't think there's a practical way to do it with a Bitcoin-like cryptocurrency.  The blockchain would become huge.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
Another takeaway is that bitcoin services hosted remotely should keep their on-line wallets encrypted.  Then they can't be stolen after a reboot because the server will require manual entry of encryption password.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Just sad that some criminal made 10k quid from your honest work just like that.

By the looks of it the attack was directed. A random hacker who happens to run into a wallet most probably wouldn't have known what to do about it immediately.

It was very likely a Linode employee who knew about your operation...

I'd look into running servers with hot wallets to .onion sites so hackers don't even know where and how is it stored at all. When I was looking into the betting business I was told of colocation services with flat insurance for intrusion... but it was a nightmare of regulations and very limiting, and expensive as well. Running a server from home with a good redundant connection would probably be a sensible solution considering the amount of money at stake. At worst... well your hot wallet is offline for a while.
Pages:
Jump to: