Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacked Linode & coins stolen to 1NRy8GbX56MymBhDYM... - page 3. (Read 62090 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
"bitcoin rules" Huh
WTH hell are you talking about man ... time to lay off the vodka.

I'm talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

Which relates directly to what I said 10 pages back Smiley
I'll be surprised if they offer to cover any losses ... imaginary money and all that hooey
Well that's easy to resolve.
Give them a new slush address and tell them transfer in the same imaginary money that was lost.

Which of course, if it did happen, would mean one (or a combination) of 2 things:
1) Linode got back the stolen bitcoins and gave them to slush et al who lost them
2) Linode went and bought $X00K worth of bitcoins and gave them to slush et al who lost them

There is of course the interesting effect of 2) ... and who would gain from that ...
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
isn't there legal precedent for criminal charges taken against individuals who stole world of warcraft items?  even if the courts don't treat bitcoin as currency or a derivative, there seems to be a clear path for legal action against the theft of digital assets of value.

It's the best we have IMO... if we ever get any solid evidence about who's the perp. The main difference is WoW's items being perfectly locatable so the legal dispute was just about the criminality of the act. Now, to get law enforcement to try to find out who was it, that's a different matter.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
isn't there legal precedent for criminal charges taken against individuals who stole world of warcraft items?  even if the courts don't treat bitcoin as currency or a derivative, there seems to be a clear path for legal action against the theft of digital assets of value.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It looks that also user database has been compromised. Although passwords are stored in SHA1 with salt, I strongly recommend to change your password on the pool immediately.

I have been trying for a while now. I haven't gotten the email that page says will be sent to allow one to do that.

Are you sure you did enter your correct email-adress? Because, when entering an address that is not in the system, the page doesn't respond with an error, just reloads the same page again.
Activity: 558
Merit: 500
"bitcoin rules" Huh
WTH hell are you talking about man ... time to lay off the vodka.

I'm talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

Activity: 700
But God forbid them from acting like Bitcoin Police....

...?

Yeah, you guys act weirdly. I've seen it!  Roll Eyes

lmao, we probably do, but we actually do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that not many people see.

heh, that was just my weird sense of humour at work, not a statement of fact at all Cheesy

haha i figured, still. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

...?

lmao, we probably do, but we actually do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that not many people see.

heh, that was just my weird sense of humour at work, not a statement of fact at all Cheesy

...?

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

...?

...?
Ok.. I had some thinking about it during last 2 hours..

I think it's MTGOX's right not to accept stolen money...  the only thing they can NOT - is to expropriate it...

Imagine somebody was killed during this breach... they even can report that they saw somebody trying to deposit stolen money..

Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
The definition of Anti-money laundering is exactly that-- blocks to prevent the laundering of money. Just because it was BTC stolen and not USD doesn't change anything. Don't shoot the messenger just because I was right.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
Ok.. it's clear now...

They follow their own rules and not Bitcoin rules....

what "Bitcoin rules" were you expecting them to follow? your "Bitcoin rules"?
Code:
Your request (#21728) has been marked as solved, pending closure. Should you believe that your request has not been adequately addressed and wish to postpone closure, or should you wish to review or comment upon your request, please follow the link below:
http://support.mtgox.com/tickets/21728

Mt.Gox Support appreciates any feedback that you may wish to provide.

Mt.Gox Support, Mar 03 19:53 (JST):
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your inquiry. If the coins are stolen from Bitcoinica, your account would be blocked for suspicious activity and investigation. Should you have any further queries, please feel to contact us again.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

Andrew Vorobyov, Mar 03 19:50 (JST):
What your actions will be if I will deposit coins that were stolen from Bitcoinica?

Ok.. it's clear now...

They follow their own rules and not Bitcoin rules....
Activity: 504
Scattering my bits around the net since 1980
...we should ask them, really fucking nicely, to do all they can to make sure those coins don't get turned into cash on their xchange.  Tradehill too...
Just to point out, unless they changed their mind in the past few weeks, TradeHill isn't trading anymore, they ceased operations a few weeks ago.

-- Smoov
Activity: 355
Merit: 284
-"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
He is currently in possession of stolen Bitcoins from the Linode hack and any coins purchased from him will not be accepted by MtGox or anyone in the Bitcoin community.
I wasn't aware Mt. Gox retained the right to pick and choose which Bitcoins they'll accept. Where can I find their policy on this? What happens if I transfer them coins they choose not to accept? How can Bitcoins remain useful as a currency if people start picking and choosing which coins they'll accept? This increases everyone's risk when accepting Bitcoins to intolerable levels.

Members also agree that Mt. Gox may, in its sole discretion by giving notice, terminate Members' access to the Site and their Account, including without limitation: limit, suspend or terminate the service and Members' Accounts, prohibit access to the Site and its content, services and tools, delay or remove hosted content, and take technical and legal steps to keep Members off the Site if we think that they are creating problems or possible legal liabilities, infringing the intellectual property rights of third parties, or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of these Terms. Additionally, we may, in appropriate circumstances and at our discretion, suspend or terminate Accounts of Members for any reason, including without limitation: (1) attempts to gain unauthorized access to the Site or another Member’s account or providing assistance to others' attempting to do so, (2) overcoming software security features limiting use of or protecting any content, (3) usage of the Platform to perform illegal activities such as money laundering, terrorism financing or other criminal activities, (4) violations of these Terms, (5) failure to pay or fraudulent payment for Transactions, (6) unexpected operational difficulties, or (7) requests by law enforcement or other government agencies.

This might be relevant as well.

Members acknowledge and agree that their Account may be suspended until they provide Mt. Gox with documents evidencing their identity and/or any other information that Mt. Gox deems necessary to secure the Accounts, the Transactions and/or the Platform.

Source: https://mtgox.com/terms_of_service
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I wasn't aware Mt. Gox retained the right to pick and choose which Bitcoins they'll accept. Where can I find their policy on this? What happens if I transfer them coins they choose not to accept? How can Bitcoins remain useful as a currency if people start picking and choosing which coins they'll accept? This increases everyone's risk when accepting Bitcoins to intolerable levels.
Yep as I mentioned a few pages back Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.777985
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
He is currently in possession of stolen Bitcoins from the Linode hack and any coins purchased from him will not be accepted by MtGox or anyone in the Bitcoin community.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Dude. Please don't embarrass us with "coat check" examples anymore. Even a parking lot would be more suitable of an example, or even a storage container facility. Those have contracts at least and expect you to store things for extended periods of time.
The point is the difference between using a service in a way that requires the normal level of security and using a service in a way that requires an extraordinary level of security from the provider.

You're saying I can't sue the parking garage of one of their employees breaking into my car and stealing it?
Yes, but don't expect to get back the $5 million if you store a prototype car there.

You're saying that I can't sue the shipping container company for leaving their keys outside of my container and letting someone just rob me?
Yes, but don't expect them to cover the costs if your shipment was diamonds, unless they knew and agreed to extra security appropriate to diamonds.

Give me a break.
In your world, every business would have to provide security adequate to cover the most bizarre uses of their service. FedEx would have to have a team of armed guards follow every truck they dispatch just in case a package had millions of dollars worth of diamonds in it and the owner of the shipment made the shipment details public so thieves knew just what to target. But in fact, that's not how such services operate. They have precisely-defined liability limits and they require shippers to declare high-value operations and pay extra if you want them to insure them.

Yes or no, do you believe FedEx is legally obligated to defend every package they ship in a way that's suitable to protect millions of dollars worth of diamonds from an inside job? If yes, how do you think they should pay for that? If no, how can they be negligent if their security was adequate for ordinary shipments?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
I  am rather confused. Don't like to judge until I have better information about this CoinExchanger, ie, posts and comments.
Pages:
Jump to: