Pages:
Author

Topic: Hackers steal $32 Million Worth of Ethereum From 3 Multisig Wallets - page 2. (Read 3254 times)

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
My goodness! It seems hackers are much more brilliant and more skilled than developers? If this becomes a pattern then perhaps we should really be dead worried. Coindash lost some $7 million dollars just very recently and now this. Damn! I am beginning to be really worried about digital currency, much more brilliant hackers have lots and lots of mouth-watering targets nowadays.

Hah, don't confuse all Crypto currency with hack jobs, there are solid projects out there. Just because ETH is big does not make it any good. It was a scam from day one and you people are surprised it keeps on giving? Grow up and smell the roses and stop being blinded by your greed.

Well at least Ether is a real project. You might not see these types of hacks from other 'protocols' but that's because they are just copies of previous protocols. (or they aren't anything at all in which case there's nothing to hack!) Perhaps in the future when you see something was hacked you can think, "shit that must have been a real project with it's own actual development pioneering new things."

You think ETH is the only project that is not a bitcoin clone? LOL No wonder you fools keep losing your tokens.

Oh no of course not, but I wish a site like coinmarketcap would add one more column of 'unique code' (though that would probably be very difficult to implement) From perusing the community for years you have Bitcoin clones, Ether 'built on top ofs', NXT, Ripple, Ant, Waves and more recently Tezos. Fill me in, what's left of completely new code bases?

I spend a lot of time looking at code, give me some new code to look at... Smiley

Well the most well known one is Monero. If you can follow that code then I tip my hat to you. Smiley
{I hear it's commented now so maybe not so rough anymore to follow: Idunno}

I cant believe since their official wallet miltisig was hacked they didn't lost significantly more market value

Ever hear of "to big to fail"? It seems Eth has reached that status, to many big players in now from the create free fiat crowd.

The question is, will we now see a third fork of Ethereum?

Hah that was my thought as well, I wonder what the magic number of DEV tokens stolen is the tipping point for braking mutability again. Smiley

Activity: 490
Merit: 101
Ethereum is second largest crypto currency according to coinmarketcap.com and widely used for almost every upcoming and ongoing ICO transactions and last few days there are a lots of news coming of hacking like coindash robbed for almost $7m value of ether and now more news coming.Now what will the next step of cryptocurrency investors to save their hard earned money.If high quality wallets are not safe then how this market will survive.This market is in growing stage yet but people are losing big amounts and with that fear remain always there in minds whether to participate or not.I think now crypto currency world community needs to think about lots of aspects like scanning of coin projects etc.This market can only survive if every coin/project/wallet take high security measures to protect themselves as well as investors and indeed this new but big market.
Activity: 308
Merit: 134
i heard it this morning and i am at home now, it seems the price of eth was influnced rapidly in the morning and back to the beginning in the evening, useless to say, eth meet many difficulties all the walking, but its strong enough to live better and better
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
I doubt that other Wallets are much safer. There was a big hackernews thread on how shitty solidity is, so maybe someone took a deeper look.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Well done boys and girls...very jealous!!!
Activity: 252
Merit: 123

~BCX~

Not a chance, there is too little a proportion of the total ETH that got stolen. The value is obviously high but that's because ETH has taken off in value since the DAO hack.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
Nearly 153,000 units of cryptocurrency Ethereum worth about $32 million was stolen from three of the largest Ether’s multisig wallets that seem to have been hacked today, rattling the global cryptocurrencies community in one of the biggest security breach ever of the rival of Bitcoin.

http://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/news/hacker-stoles-32-million-worth-ethereum-3-multisig-wallets/

Uh Oh  Shocked Shocked

Such incidents will just repeat and repeat and repeat.  ETH is just to optimistic project. Million things can go wrong and then just dont care about that. And sooner or latter this million things will go wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

~BCX~
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023
Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron
I am not impressed at all about these ETH wallets, already I got over 1 btc worth of ETH and erc20 tokens stolen a few weeks ago through one of the myetherwallet phishing sites. ETH hackers are running rife ll over the slack rooms and now we have the Parity wallets compromised on a massive scale. I am wondering what next?
Activity: 448
Merit: 103
good thing myetherwallet is immune from these threat.  its like blockchain.info wallet of bitcoin.  just that myetherwallet is a little harder to use for newbies. 

Oh I hope you are correct...
Wrong, myetherwallet still not safe when they not have 2FA for security wallet, example hacker attack your PC and know your private key, they can withdraw your coin anytime on myetherwallet. I had mail to devs myether about this issue but still not have reply Sad

Iirc they started implementing 2FA a week or two ago. Let's pray.
May I just ask what a multisig wallet is? This is a huge amount I must say.

Multi signature. Several people need so sign with their own private key for the tokens to be used.

Someone must have figured how to cheat the opposite to thinking he has signed maybe
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
I cant believe since their official wallet miltisig was hacked they didn't lost significantly more market value
It's not just any hack, it's a parity hack

- The client with the fastest block speed, least footprint, and touting other technical prowess.
- The founder is the cofounder of ethereum blockchain. Other core members are from ethcore.

Bad day for ethereum.
Activity: 404
Merit: 253
My goodness! It seems hackers are much more brilliant and more skilled than developers? If this becomes a pattern then perhaps we should really be dead worried. Coindash lost some $7 million dollars just very recently and now this. Damn! I am beginning to be really worried about digital currency, much more brilliant hackers have lots and lots of mouth-watering targets nowadays.

Hah, don't confuse all Crypto currency with hack jobs, there are solid projects out there. Just because ETH is big does not make it any good. It was a scam from day one and you people are surprised it keeps on giving? Grow up and smell the roses and stop being blinded by your greed.

Well at least Ether is a real project. You might not see these types of hacks from other 'protocols' but that's because they are just copies of previous protocols. (or they aren't anything at all in which case there's nothing to hack!) Perhaps in the future when you see something was hacked you can think, "shit that must have been a real project with it's own actual development pioneering new things."

You think ETH is the only project that is not a bitcoin clone? LOL No wonder you fools keep losing your tokens.

Oh no of course not, but I wish a site like coinmarketcap would add one more column of 'unique code' (though that would probably be very difficult to implement) From perusing the community for years you have Bitcoin clones, Ether 'built on top ofs', NXT, Ripple, Ant, Waves and more recently Tezos. Fill me in, what's left of completely new code bases?

I spend a lot of time looking at code, give me some new code to look at... Smiley
legendary

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Scam ICO hater

The error was super basic and a big miss from the development part. The real problem is the lack of thorough code reviews. There seems to be some confidence that if it comes from the core devs then it is gold standard. More experienced eyes need to be actively reviewing all these new enhancements.  

There should also be a bounty program for all these big developments.

Adding the details of the fix on the code
https://github.com/paritytech/parity/commit/b640df8fbb964da7538eef268dffc125b081a82f

A single line was all needed. A modifier should have been added to the public initializer  method to ensure the contract is not already owned. It pretty much allowed the hacker to run a quick new initializing call and change the owner... Huh Undecided Cry
Activity: 404
Merit: 253

Activity: 749
Merit: 503
Blockchain Just Entered The Real World
good thing myetherwallet is immune from these threat.  its like blockchain.info wallet of bitcoin.  just that myetherwallet is a little harder to use for newbies. 

Oh I hope you are correct...
Wrong, myetherwallet still not safe when they not have 2FA for security wallet, example hacker attack your PC and know your private key, they can withdraw your coin anytime on myetherwallet. I had mail to devs myether about this issue but still not have reply Sad
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Scam ICO hater

The error was super basic and a big miss from the development part. The real problem is the lack of thorough code reviews. There seems to be some confidence that if it comes from the core devs then it is gold standard. More experienced eyes need to be actively reviewing all these new enhancements.  

There should also be a bounty program for all these big developments.
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: