Pages:
Author

Topic: Hackers steal $32 Million Worth of Ethereum From 3 Multisig Wallets - page 3. (Read 3254 times)

Activity: 404
Merit: 253
good thing myetherwallet is immune from these threat.  its like blockchain.info wallet of bitcoin.  just that myetherwallet is a little harder to use for newbies. 

Oh I hope you are correct...
Activity: 143
Merit: 10
Inside job, it was obvious from the time I read the 2nd sentence.
Activity: 938
Merit: 266
good thing myetherwallet is immune from these threat.  its like blockchain.info wallet of bitcoin.  just that myetherwallet is a little harder to use for newbies. 
Activity: 756
Merit: 112
May I just ask what a multisig wallet is? This is a huge amount I must say.
My goodness! It seems hackers are much more brilliant and more skilled than developers? If this becomes a pattern then perhaps we should really be dead worried. Coindash lost some $7 million dollars just very recently and now this. Damn! I am beginning to be really worried about digital currency, much more brilliant hackers have lots and lots of mouth-watering targets nowadays.

Hmm interesting point. I wouldn't say that hackers are more brilliant just that it's easier to break into something than it is to secure it. A security developer can try to safeguard against ever possible attack they can think of but a hacker only needs to find one vulnerability. I had a grad class recently where the final project was find all the ways to 'hack' or break an incredibly simple program and it's astonishing how many vulnerabilities the entire class was able to find.

There are just so many layers of abstraction that are at risk. In a way computer code is written on a pyramid and the higher level you go the more holes there can be at each layer. I suppose this is partially why bitcoin was created with a near bullet proof low level implementation. (and as I said above, why Tezos spent three years building an incredibly secure base layer)
Activity: 1400
Merit: 273
My goodness! It seems hackers are much more brilliant and more skilled than developers? If this becomes a pattern then perhaps we should really be dead worried. Coindash lost some $7 million dollars just very recently and now this. Damn! I am beginning to be really worried about digital currency, much more brilliant hackers have lots and lots of mouth-watering targets nowadays.
Well thank goodness for Tezos! They have this covered...

How the tezos guys have it covered? U mean Tezos is not hackable? Can you point out how it is safe since Tezos is also a crypto and may also be hacked in its initial days

I can first dog on Tezos, they have spent so much time on making their platform secure that its very difficult to work with. The idea is that their smart contract language will be 'formally verifiable'. Sadly that seems to translate to much more difficult to use for the novice programmer to work with. Also their protocol is written in OCaml which isn't widely used either.

If there were a spectrum of Security <----> ease of Use, I'd say the Tezos team put all their eggs in the basket of being a very secure platform bordering on extremely difficult to implement things on top of. After working on the project since 2014, they have arrived at something that is incredibly secure but they don't yet even have a wallet or blockchain explorer. I suppose they are putting the heavy investment on making the platform bulletproof first.

I don't know if this will be a good approach or not but I can save given their focus that it will at least be much more secure. I think this put them way behind the 8-ball timeframe wise and I also think folks will continue to gravitate to Ether until the security flaws in Ether prove to be too much. (if that ever happens)
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
Bitrated user: Foex.

How the tezos guys have it covered? U mean Tezos is not hackable? Can you point out how it is safe since Tezos is also a crypto and may also be hacked in its initial days
Activity: 609
Merit: 500
Crazy shit man, hackers made fortune continuously, crazy..   Shocked Shocked
Activity: 728
Merit: 250
Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't holding your funds in paper wallets a sure way to protect yourself from hacks like this?

Good question. And the next one is: how safe is MyEtherWallet?

I seriously have questions about myetherwallet. If classic ether wallet can be compromised then myetherwallet has a chance too  Huh

Oh dear, if myetherwallet is not safe mean we need to keep each individual coin in respective paper wallets?
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
probably the handy work of a government agency
Activity: 812
Merit: 501
Nearly 153,000 units of cryptocurrency Ethereum worth about $32 million was stolen from three of the largest Ether’s multisig wallets that seem to have been hacked today, rattling the global cryptocurrencies community in one of the biggest security breach ever of the rival of Bitcoin.

http://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/news/hacker-stoles-32-million-worth-ethereum-3-multisig-wallets/

Uh Oh  Shocked Shocked

Ehterium wallet seem most wallet to get hacked. Mew was hacked too about $500 worth lost. That's not to big amout but it alerts me to the security. I think I move some asset to waves. till now, waves wallet is still safe. I think there is mass hacking attemp to etherwallet , be careful.
Activity: 36
So it looks like Parity.io were using buggy code is the problem in this case, not Ethereum?

The platforms being developed upon ETH have so many moving parts they're highly vulnerable to exploits.

Activity: 252
Merit: 100
probably because of this price is going down again. also same for edgeless and swarmcity. do you have information about how they hacked?
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1440
Very sad... Ethereum is still an early stage project. Probably not ready for mass adoption for the time being.

That is not an excuse for the incompetence of their developers. If it is really still an early stage project in their eyes then they should not allow this project to be in the market especially right after the DAO hack. This should stay in testnet mode only.
Activity: 392
Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain
Hopefully this incident won't effect the Ethereum's price. Ethereum's moved up really good yesterday and I can see the price has dropped a little but now looks like getting back very well. Hope won't drop more and keep increase.
It seems that the price has been affected, unfortunately. However, it will not affect its long term potential.
Activity: 406
Merit: 263
Hopefully this incident won't effect the Ethereum's price. Ethereum's moved up really good yesterday and I can see the price has dropped a little but now looks like getting back very well. Hope won't drop more and keep increase.
Activity: 392
Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain
Hopefully MyEtherWallet is immune to these types of hack.
Activity: 29
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't holding your funds in paper wallets a sure way to protect yourself from hacks like this?

Good question. And the next one is: how safe is MyEtherWallet?

I seriously have questions about myetherwallet. If classic ether wallet can be compromised then myetherwallet has a chance too  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: