Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking a BFL Single/25 to 48gh and beyond..... - page 2. (Read 8353 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Just Fun!
they are making pretty exact 60 GH each.
not more and not less.

i was already hoping that it´s possible to make those "aircraft turbines" little more effective so that they make enough hashpower equal to noise what they are making...  Angry

thanks for your informations!
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
i have some 60GH/s singles here. if you would have interest to "push" them up, i would not have anything against.  Cool. no risk no fun!

would you have interest to try?

Where you come from?

if you have interest, answer here or just PM me.
Once again, if they're running at 60 then there's not too much further they can go. We could try swapping out the resistors and flashing the firmware, but unless they are seriously underperforming it would only be a few gh of extra speed.

The systems with opportunity seem to be the 25's, 50's, and jalapenos.

C
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Just Fun!
i have some 60GH/s singles here. if you would have interest to "push" them up, i would not have anything against.  Cool. no risk no fun!

would you have interest to try?

Where you come from?

if you have interest, answer here or just PM me.
legendary
Hey Lightfoot,

What do you think you could do to a BFL mini-rig?

I think it's 16 little singles?  480Ghash.

Honest answer, not sure never seen one. However although the little single (aka jally) boards were specified for the mini-rig, I think they went with the new style single boards running flat-out at 60gh each (8 boards).

From what I have heard, they used the best of the best chips in those, so all chips are probably hashing at full rate. Therefore, not a whole lot to do other than enjoy the thing.

C
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Sounds fun Smiley did you ever get the rest of the caps from mouser or Huh want to see if it makes any difference on your 1v supply issue.

edit: saw the chewed on one, thought he wanted to much as it looked like he arced the power input area pretty bad.
Got the wrong size ones, next time I'll use my watchmaker's calipers to get the sizes right.

As for the price, it's ebay so it goes what it goes for. Actually $200 is a good price if it works, and if not $25 a chip plus reballing could be worse. I should have it Tuesday, we'll see what happened to it pretty quickly.

C

Yes you and few others could take any advantage of it, if the miner is fried.
Will definitely be sending you work, as either advice on where to go, or my own for rechipping if I get a suitable miner somewhere.
Keep waiting for the market to get flooded with em as the bigtimers find time to sell em off or something Smiley
cheap, like the old server powersupplys  pennies on the dollar.
donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!
Hey Lightfoot,

What do you think you could do to a BFL mini-rig?

I think it's 16 little singles?  480Ghash.

legendary
Sounds fun Smiley did you ever get the rest of the caps from mouser or Huh want to see if it makes any difference on your 1v supply issue.

edit: saw the chewed on one, thought he wanted to much as it looked like he arced the power input area pretty bad.
Got the wrong size ones, next time I'll use my watchmaker's calipers to get the sizes right.

As for the price, it's ebay so it goes what it goes for. Actually $200 is a good price if it works, and if not $25 a chip plus reballing could be worse. I should have it Tuesday, we'll see what happened to it pretty quickly.

C
Activity: 1316
Merit: 253
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

Also, installing a 7.5K resistor was very successful.  Gained 3Ghs (57-60) and error rate went down to around .34% (was 1.9% at 57Ghs).  Temps went up 4 Degrees

though. Tongue  Still this mod seems to be a very easy way to push an underperforming single/jala up to speed.

This sounds g8, any chance of a pic identifying that resistor.

R36 and R11 I think.  Will be between two of the ASICs. Should have 828 on the top.  It will be a 7K resistor.
Ok, I see R36,R11 in the photos above one for each side. Not really into SMT but think I can do this. Are these a 0402 package ?

Thanx
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

legendary
Update: Today I took apart one of the single/30 power supplies because although it seemed to provide power it did not light the LED. Fan would run. Found that although the power supply is a pretty solid design (and the neutral goes to GROUND as it should) I did figure out why the LED wasn't working; cold solder joints. Looked soldered, but wiggling the LED would cause it to light.

Used soldering iron to reflow solder, now works fine. Also touched up the power cable lines as well, I wonder if that is the problem with some of these supplies; the wires run in parallel, but if one of them was badly soldered by the power supply company then it would go high which would result in a lot more resistance on the remaining wires, and lower power going to the single. Which would either shut down chips or keep them from coming live on startup.

Interesting.
legendary
Update: I did switch the heat sinks so that the best one (the old style BFL with the heat pipes) is on the 8 chips at the exhaust end of the unit and the newer one (black, fins facing properly) is on the intake side. Also put heat sinks under the board on the center FETs (6 chips starts the warming trend) and it's hashing 49gh at 72c. Very good, stable.

I also put another capacitor on the board's 1 volt supply, that was hard as those open capacitor pads are near the last chip which is on there with normal lead solder (which has a significantly lower melting point than ROHS stuff) which made adding the component dicey. 425c for 40 seconds, air angled as much as possible away from the chip. Hashing errors are down from 2.2 to 1.8, most all the errors seem to be on the last chip added, so it might be a bit of a clunk (or took a bit of damage from the reballing)

Overall things are working well otherwise, I'm going to wait for the chipmunk-chewed single to come in and continue research on that.

C
legendary
Very interesting thing here:

Last night I added another chip to this single: It now has six chips on the right, 8 on the left. I fiddled with the fans a bit, then put everything back to stock condition (both inside ones pointing up, etc) and it hashes at 48-49gh constant with a 76-77c temp (as opposed to 75 before)

However it's now running with 2% errors instead of <1%. And in looking at the stats the errors are coming from the right side, but from all sorts of chips and *not* simply the one that I put in.

Now, my 1 volt supply is missing about 4 of the filtering capacitors because I stole them from a jalapeno, but I'm wondering if this is a filtering issue on the 1 volt line. A bit more noise coming into the chips causing increased random errors (my code shuts down bad cores to save on heat, so what remains are truly random errors). It's running fine and the overall effect on hashing is minimal (<1gh) but still something odd to note.

I'll see about ordering some more capacitors and putting them on the next time I get some chips to try out 7 chips on the unit.

C
Activity: 650
Merit: 500
Pick and place? I need more coffee.

Also, installing a 7.5K resistor was very successful.  Gained 3Ghs (57-60) and error rate went down to around .34% (was 1.9% at 57Ghs).  Temps went up 4 Degrees

though. Tongue  Still this mod seems to be a very easy way to push an underperforming single/jala up to speed.

R36 and R11 I think.  Will be between two of the ASICs. Should have 828 on the top.  It will be a 7K resistor.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 253
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

Also, installing a 7.5K resistor was very successful.  Gained 3Ghs (57-60) and error rate went down to around .34% (was 1.9% at 57Ghs).  Temps went up 4 Degrees

though. Tongue  Still this mod seems to be a very easy way to push an underperforming single/jala up to speed.

legendary
"The one that looks like a metallic woodchuck was chewing on the side?"

YES! Had he never heard of a multimaster?
It's best in your hands than mine.
I'll post pictures and funny commentary, don't worry. Maybe it was shards of metal or something. But to be honest the problem was probably that he didn't have the bottom plate in the little slots in the ends. It's um.... made that way.

C
Activity: 906
Merit: 657
Do due diligence
"The one that looks like a metallic woodchuck was chewing on the side?"

YES! Had he never heard of a multimaster?
It's best in your hands than mine.
legendary
The one that looks like a metallic woodchuck was chewing on the side? Yeah, I picked that one up to check out. I'm wondering if the guy fried the FTDI chip, when the USB system won't talk that is usually it. Fortunately I have a spare chip here, so I could get it working again if that's it. Otherwise I'll have a ton of chips to re-ball.

In the meantime I put a reballed chip on my unit here. The concept of using resistance was useless, as the resistance between +1 and ground is basically 0 ohms. Which makes sense if you think that 8 chips can pull over 120 amps thus R=e/i or 1/120=.0083 ohms.

However it's working, and with 14 chips populated I'm cruising at 49gh and 76c. I did try running one fan pointing up and the other down, but I could hear one of the fans "singing" inside which means it was stalling, and temps went over 81c even with the output fan running at full speed. With both fans pointing up, the temps are 76, no stall, even with the resistor in series with the output fan to quiet it down.

On to the next thing. I'll check out this oddball single and see if it can be hacked too. Never a dull moment....

C
Activity: 906
Merit: 657
Do due diligence
I've had much restraint in not cracking my case open. It's a 50 hashing closer to 48. There was a fried one on ebay that looked interesting to tinker with.
I'll just watch you and learn for awhile.
Activity: 532
To check the 1 volt, can't you check the resistance to ground of the 1 volt supply like you could on a Jally???
You know, I didn't think about that. If I could find the 3.3 volt test point I could also find that as well (3.3 is shared between sides). But I seem to recall a loaded jally has a very low resistance to ground. What would it be, probably under 1 ohm.

I'll do that.
Doesn't the ATMEL chip need 3.3V?  I seem to remember seeing something when I flashed my friends LS about 3.3V on the program... Also, looking at my little, isn't that gold rectangle a 1.0V test point?
Activity: 650
Pick and place? I need more coffee.
To check the 1 volt, can't you check the resistance to ground of the 1 volt supply like you could on a Jally???
You know, I didn't think about that. If I could find the 3.3 volt test point I could also find that as well (3.3 is shared between sides). But I seem to recall a loaded jally has a very low resistance to ground. What would it be, probably under 1 ohm.

I'll do that.

Each side of one of my singles the 1V line measures 14 ohms to ground.  This one has the revision B chips.  Maybe the revision A chips are lower?  I always check the

1V line after the resistor mod to make sure I did not bridge it to ground.

Also, installing a 7.5K resistor was very successful.  Gained 3Ghs (57-60) and error rate went down to around .34% (was 1.9% at 57Ghs).  Temps went up 4 Degrees

though. Tongue  Still this mod seems to be a very easy way to push an underperforming single/jala up to speed.
Pages:
Jump to: