Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not? - page 38. (Read 76589 times)

legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Well, here's my first less than perfect success: Blown up Titan, fireballed power supplies, replaced two. One of the new supplies refuses to come up regardless of reflow and doesn't appear to have any shorts. My guess is that the Titan board took some damage and knocked out the SPI connection to that supply.

Result is a Titan that hashes at about 70mh, keeping the last die at a speed of 150mhz, the others at 300. For the moment I'll classify this as a lot "better than dead" and make an offer on the repairs. Still, not bad overall for a dead unit.

On to the next problem.

C
legendary
Hawk is already getting two bridge boards from me, so the last things that could fail software wise would be rpi foolery. the actual knc board hasn't blown or failed for any of my titan sets (i have over 6) yet, it's always been the Pi that needs replacing or the bridge. Wish the titan boards used the beaglebone version.
I think they can, once I get this next shipment I'll spend some quality time seeing if I can hack something together.
Activity: 405
Merit: 250
Hawk is already getting two bridge boards from me, so the last things that could fail software wise would be rpi foolery. the actual knc board hasn't blown or failed for any of my titan sets (i have over 6) yet, it's always been the Pi that needs replacing or the bridge. Wish the titan boards used the beaglebone version.
legendary
Kinda. I tried putting the Rpi code on an old first generation Rpi to trace it out. Damn thing kept rebooting every two minutes, finally found it has a daemon running that looks for the FPGA to power up. If it doesn't see that in 2 minutes it assumes a problem and reboots. Clearing out /etc/init.d directory stopped it from doing this, enough that I was able to move the files to a Beaglebone for further testing and review.

But it could be a blown interconnect board (still don't know why that would fail), would need one in here to review further.

lightfoot,

What did I mess up the RPi or the controller, please see the picture below? Only 1 LED is on instead of three and red LED on the RPi is off. Screen lights up but without any text or bright light at start up. I was using 2 PSUs but 1 to power both controllers, probably turned on one before the other or something to create a short. I can access the web GUI, but it won't show any cubes or hash.
Hm. When you power up the controller without any cubes attached does the super-bright light on the side come on bright, then go out or just do 3-4 little flashes? That's usually the sign the TPS chip or the FPGA has shorted, both are fix-able.

It seems to be when the webgui keeps restarting and power cycling, it's the RPi. Just happened to me and replacing the RPi with a fresh one fixed the rebooting issue (but the original bridge blew when I did that). Seemed to have fixed it though.

Should I order a couple of RPi just in case it's the RPi causing all the trouble?

I know for sure the restarting problem IS your RPi. I literally had to deal with that twice. So replacing the RPi is definitely solving part of your problem right there. Be sure to get the exact same model (the different available Pi models have different IO pins.
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
lightfoot,

What did I mess up the RPi or the controller, please see the picture below? Only 1 LED is on instead of three and red LED on the RPi is off. Screen lights up but without any text or bright light at start up. I was using 2 PSUs but 1 to power both controllers, probably turned on one before the other or something to create a short. I can access the web GUI, but it won't show any cubes or hash.
Hm. When you power up the controller without any cubes attached does the super-bright light on the side come on bright, then go out or just do 3-4 little flashes? That's usually the sign the TPS chip or the FPGA has shorted, both are fix-able.

It seems to be when the webgui keeps restarting and power cycling, it's the RPi. Just happened to me and replacing the RPi with a fresh one fixed the rebooting issue (but the original bridge blew when I did that). Seemed to have fixed it though.

Should I order a couple of RPi just in case it's the RPi causing all the trouble?
lightfoot,

legendary
So latest from last night's work:

1) Still can't find the destination for those 10 pins. Thought it was the LM75's but nope. Drat, still working. Will get batteries for fuzzer.

2) One of the two bad power supplies on this Titan is fixed, waiting for the other to come in from China.

0   0.7848   43.2500   33.943   68.000
1   0.7811   43.8750   34.271   79.000
2   0.7881   44.1250   34.775   79.200
3   0.7894   43.8125   34.586   75.800
4   0.7885   41.4375   32.673   56.500
5   0.7914   41.0000   32.447   50.400
7   0.7909   41.8125   33.070   52.200

Note that PS 4 is back and powered (300mhz), Power supply 6 is still offline but supply 7 is hashing the die at 150mhz (thus the 41a, if I go any higher it will blow). Interesting thing is stable as a rock, and hashing at 60-70mh. Not bad for a wreck.

Now if I can just find out what that SPI short is... Getting there bit by bit...
legendary
Ada: That's something which is on the Beaglebone and *not* the controller board. I think the problem is the BB SD card pins are touching the frame from being pressed on. Unit can't turn on its' DC-DC, doesn't boot, power cycling sometimes gets it up.

What does work for me is to put a sd micro card in the slot and turn on the unit, then pop it out once the power is on. That seems to allow it to boot every time, then I just leave it running. Weird, but a $40 BB problem and not a board problem.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
I got a KNC Controller that fails to start on cold. When it warms up, after a few power cycles it works normally.

Basically when it first starts, there is a whistle, and then the lights flash and then it finally starts.

If there is no whistle, then I need to keep restarting it.

Anyone had this issue? Could be the BB instead of the controller.
Activity: 469
Merit: 500
the neptune runs perfect with the other 4 cubes but if i try to plug in that one specific cube it stops hashing on all cubes and the controller goes wacky
Yup. Question 0 is "what does it do with nothing else plugged into it" (even the display). What should happen is the unit should power up, pick up an IP address, then the light on the side of the board should light up super bright for a second, then turn on a little green LED there. If the bright LED flashes very briefly 3-4 times in a row, you have a short and the DC-DC can't turn on the FPGA or the SPI busses.

If one unit causes the whole string to crash, then it has the odd short between pins 4,6, and ground. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

controller starts up just fine with nothing plugged in

edit

i have 2 controllers and the same thing happens when i plug that cube into either controller
Activity: 906
Merit: 657
Do due diligence
Like your other threads, I'll have fun watching this.
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
@hawkfish: this is exactly the case i was living last summer:I'm sorry for you but you seems to have a dead controller....
The only solution for me was to RMA the controller....
But you're very lucky because now there is a king of the knc controller who can repair it (he's doing very goog work) with fair prices. Grin

Crap, I have 2 controllers like that at the moment and 7 cubes sitting idle  Sad Sent a pm to lightfoot.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Very good work is what i was expecting to write lol Sorry Cheesy
@hawkfish: this is exactly the case i was living last summer:I'm sorry for you but you seems to have a dead controller....
The only solution for me was to RMA the controller....
But you're very lucky because now there is a king of the knc controller who can repair it (he's doing very goog work) with fair prices. Grin

Hello guy!

@lightfoot : What i know on the titan bridge leds:

first green led: closest to lcd display seems to refering to the micro-sd slot(because not working if micro-sd in bad position)
second green led:don't know anything  Cry
third green led:don't know anything but my titan is working well without this led putted on.

I don't know if this could be very helpful....
legendary
the neptune runs perfect with the other 4 cubes but if i try to plug in that one specific cube it stops hashing on all cubes and the controller goes wacky
Yup. Question 0 is "what does it do with nothing else plugged into it" (even the display). What should happen is the unit should power up, pick up an IP address, then the light on the side of the board should light up super bright for a second, then turn on a little green LED there. If the bright LED flashes very briefly 3-4 times in a row, you have a short and the DC-DC can't turn on the FPGA or the SPI busses.

If one unit causes the whole string to crash, then it has the odd short between pins 4,6, and ground. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
legendary
lightfoot,

lightfoot,

my neptune did this , could get to web gui but no hashing and my lights didnt come on correctly on the controller , try each cube one a time and see if it works with any of them ,. this is what i did with my neptune till i narrowed it down to one problem vube that it in the post above this .

lightfoot i got that neptune cube apart that i pmed ya about , board looks good except for the oily substance on the board , not sure what it is or were it came from , as i only ran this cube for like 2 days before it went out anyways heres the pics

bottom of the board ( i think the dark spots on it is my shadow it doesnt show any darker spots when holding it in ur hand

in theese u can see the oily substance on the board

and wiped off

and on the bottom, u can see here there are no dark spots

before i send it off to u i wanna clean the board well and try pluging it back in , going to be hard to clean off with qtips or a rag, can i spray the board down with electrical contact cleaner or mass airflow sensor cleaner and then blow it dry with an airgun?
Pages:
Jump to: