Pages:
Author

Topic: Hand Control to the Establishment: Arrest the Early Adopters - page 3. (Read 4178 times)

legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
More victimless "criminals" having the boot stamping on their face forever. Just a matter of time before every single localbitcoins seller is prosecuted for not harming anyone, because "economic liberty must be destroyed"!

Were the guys that DPR put hits on not victims?

1) "Dread Pirate Roberts" is nothing more than a pseudonym the government was able to co-opt once it seized SR's physical servers to use it as a honeypot and identity theft weapon. Identity theft, which it has the sum total of all prosecuted criminals' tactics, on how to execute, itself.
2) Nobody was in the least danger of getting killed or harmed whatsoever, as all the "hitmen" were government agents or bad Samaritans (like the "hitman" that RCMP claimed they couldn't find) and the government's ability to act as "DPR" and manufacture out of whole cloth a tie of that pseudonym to Ross Ulbricht, or anyone on the internet for that matter, establishes reasonable doubt.
3) Guilt by association is indefensible on every level. At the logical extreme, are you are willing to be executed for using a currency also used by mass murderers? Goodbye homo sapiens.
4) Guilt until proven innocence is indefensible.
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
More victimless "criminals" having the boot stamping on their face forever. Just a matter of time before every single localbitcoins seller is prosecuted for not harming anyone, because "economic liberty must be destroyed"!

Were the guys that DPR put hits on not victims?
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
You wouldn't be able to prosecute someone based on something committed prior to a law being passed directly prohibiting what that action was. That would almost be the equivalent of trying to prosecute someone for a crime they hadn't yet committed.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Charlie was connected to Silk Road. It doesn't matter when. Bitcoin is not on trial here, he is.

But you forum philosophers will find every reason to bark at the man...

Technically everyone is connected to the silkroad one way or another through BTC. You think the largest marketplace for bitcoin transactions doesn't some how relate into other bitcoin related businesses? It's called RICO look it up all they need it .00000000001 of a BTC that originated from a silkroad transaction into 'yourbusinessnamehere' to go after you for money laundering.

Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
Charlie was connected to Silk Road. It doesn't matter when. Bitcoin is not on trial here, he is.

But you forum philosophers will find every reason to bark at the man...
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
There'll never be a time where they retrospectively prosecute market manipulation. That just doesn't make sense. The markets aren't regulated now and that's that. If and when they are all this stuff will come to an end or be heavily disguised.

The people who are being arrested now allegedly broke laws that were applying at the time. Theft, money laundering, selling drugs, most of us know that's going to cause you some trouble.

I can well imagine that they regarded what they were up to at the time as just a game because it was way out of the spotlight. It's different now. It made some of them very rich. I'll bet they'd happily trade some of that for the old days. My sympathy hovers somewhere around the zero mark.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
Nothing is ever going to happen to Pirate.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
It occures to me with Charlie's arrest that this might be the start of people being arrested for things they did in the early days of bitcoin when it was all still considered "play money". With the blockchain being immutable as it is, the crimes of a few years ago (Stealing 10,000BTC) for example, might now be prosecutable, even though at the time maybe people thought it was worth no more then a 1000 USD. I bet a large number of theives or just lazy/entreprenurial bitcoin early adopters might have done things that sounded like fun at the time but now might be considered serious financial crimes. I wonder for example when Fontas might get found/arrested/prosecuted for securities fraud....
Pages:
Jump to: