Pages:
Author

Topic: [Hands On] KeepKey Hardware Wallet - Notlist3d - page 3. (Read 7457 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I'm a little lost about these... is everything stored on the KeepKey? Like if you took that from one PC to another, doing fresh MultibitHD installs on each one, would it be the same as doing it all on one PC? And does this make it safe to also transact from PCs you might not otherwise trust?

The main thing is the private key does not get stored on PC.  With the private key you basically have control of the BTC.  That is the magic is keeping key on hardware wallet.

It is truly it is a luxury wallet.  It has a nicer screen, and case then others.  You can get cheaper ones but they wont come with this.  But everyone's needs are not the same so I realize pick of wallet is kinda a personal decision.

It is my first hardware wallet I have to say I'm starting to really like it.  I was not sure when getting it what I would think.  But it's kinda a nice change.  Still early but there are some very nice features with hardware wallet.

I love the look of it, Smiley. It's really modern and that's awesome.

But the KeepKey also does the signing on the device itself, right? So even if you're on a system that's compromised, it wouldn't hurt it since the system wouldn't be able to access the private key?

Correct even it signs the transaction on the device.  And it stores the key on it aswel.  So even if there is a keylogger or virus this should not be able to be compromised.  Even if they were watching your screen during entering of key they would not know what number you hit since it changes on keepkey screen.   

I wondered what happened if you enter it wrong on PIN, curious if bruteforcing is possible.  And luckily it is not after a few wrong tries it adds a delay, and this delay keeps getting doubled each time.   So another thing that seems to add to me feeling safe.

This is awesome. I'm really looking into getting one now. My PC was apparently compromised months ago and I had generated addresses/encrypted immediately after/sent coins to them. Found out a couple weeks ago that somehow two of the wallets were compromised and I had lost ~8 BTC. Expensive mistake but it's made be MUCH more wary about security of coins.

That is the great thing I'm learning about hardware wallets.  It seems they take out the hassle of holding safely.  I have always been a strong paper wallet person.  And they are still great if done right, and that is the key thing if done right.

The only way to lose your btc it seems is if you store the recovery words insecure.   It gives you recovery words so if lost/stolen you can get a new one and easily restore.   It comes with a card in a very nice woven holder (again on luxury the holder is not a cheap feeling thing) but you store it in that.  I would suggest that goes to safety deposit box or something close to that.

So with that being only weakness that is pretty amazing as far as spending.  I'm really turning into a pro-hardware wallet person.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I'm a little lost about these... is everything stored on the KeepKey? Like if you took that from one PC to another, doing fresh MultibitHD installs on each one, would it be the same as doing it all on one PC? And does this make it safe to also transact from PCs you might not otherwise trust?

The main thing is the private key does not get stored on PC.  With the private key you basically have control of the BTC.  That is the magic is keeping key on hardware wallet.

It is truly it is a luxury wallet.  It has a nicer screen, and case then others.  You can get cheaper ones but they wont come with this.  But everyone's needs are not the same so I realize pick of wallet is kinda a personal decision.

It is my first hardware wallet I have to say I'm starting to really like it.  I was not sure when getting it what I would think.  But it's kinda a nice change.  Still early but there are some very nice features with hardware wallet.

But the KeepKey also does the signing on the device itself, right? So even if you're on a system that's compromised, it wouldn't hurt it since the system wouldn't be able to access the private key?

Correct even it signs the transaction on the device.  And it stores the key on it aswel.  So even if there is a keylogger or virus this should not be able to be compromised.  Even if they were watching your screen during entering of key they would not know what number you hit since it changes on keepkey screen.   

I wondered what happened if you enter it wrong on PIN, curious if bruteforcing is possible.  And luckily it is not after a few wrong tries it adds a delay, and this delay keeps getting doubled each time.   So another thing that seems to add to me feeling safe.

This is awesome. I'm really looking into getting one now. My PC was apparently compromised months ago and I had generated addresses/encrypted immediately after/sent coins to them. Found out a couple weeks ago that somehow two of the wallets were compromised and I had lost ~8 BTC. Expensive mistake but it's made be MUCH more wary about security of coins.
legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
Am I the only one who thinks the hardware wallets are extremely overpriced for what they offer? Sure they offer the easiest secure solutions for the moment, but paying around 200 USD for a device that probably costs 10 usd to manufacture is just insane..

Once the wallets become closer to 50 usd, I can see a great market for them.

Well, you do not have to go the luxury route and buy the KeepKey. The Trezor offers more functionality and costs $99. If you are really on a budget you can get a Ledger HW.1 for $20 UPS shipping included.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
Am I the only one who thinks the hardware wallets are extremely overpriced for what they offer? Sure they offer the easiest secure solutions for the moment, but paying around 200 USD for a device that probably costs 10 usd to manufacture is just insane..

Once the wallets become closer to 50 usd, I can see a great market for them.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
 I have one and am very happy with it, using it with MultibitHD.  Had no luck setting it up with Electrum on Windows 10.  The instructions to install Electrum you pretty much have to have experience with another operating system and I guess the step-by-step instructions I found were not step-by-step since it didn't work for me. Smiley

Setup with MultibitHD was straightforward.  The wallet detected it immediately and asked if I wanted to setup the hardware wallet.

Customer service at KeepKey seems to be very responsive as well.
legendary
It looks very nice and I'm sure it very simple to set up once you get your hands on it... But what I rely don't understand is why it's priced so high? Better yet, why do they feel the need to secure the packaging so well, if you know you are going to inevitably take it out of the box sooner or later to use it? Huh

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.  

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.

That's true, I never really thought of it like that. Maybe as more people list out the pros and cons of keep key and other hardware wallets, you can put up a table in your reserved spot that lists out each hard ware wallet, their price, and features that come along with it. Great over view of this though, I might have to start thinking about getting one in the future if I feel there is a need.

That is the fear is somehow someone tampered with it before you got it.  As that could possibly defeat all security defenses depending on what they do.  The KeepKey does try to warn you if it has a custom firmware on it:

"You can make modifications to our firmware or create your own, then run it on the KeepKey. As a security precaution, firmware uploaded to the KeepKey that we do not distribute will show a warning message during boot to explain that it running unofficial firmware."

Still with a hardware wallet there is a little piece of mind knowing it came from factory and had seals in tact.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
It looks very nice and I'm sure it very simple to set up once you get your hands on it... But what I rely don't understand is why it's priced so high? Better yet, why do they feel the need to secure the packaging so well, if you know you are going to inevitably take it out of the box sooner or later to use it? Huh

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.  

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.

That's true, I never really thought of it like that. Maybe as more people list out the pros and cons of keep key and other hardware wallets, you can put up a table in your reserved spot that lists out each hard ware wallet, their price, and features that come along with it. Great over view of this though, I might have to start thinking about getting one in the future if I feel there is a need.
legendary

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.   

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.
legendary
Two things not mentioned in the review:

- it has PIN protection so just getting one's hands on one of these isn't enough to steal the BTC stored on one. (This was in one of the videos, but who watches those, right?)
- The price is, according to keepkey.com, 239 USD.

Yes it has pin protection. Also it does show the numbers as random spots so even if someone logged what boxes you clicked it would do them no good as far as location. 

The price is not cheap that is a vaild argument.  I would say it's a premium hardware wallet with my time with it so far.  With the large screen, and aluminum case it is not designed to be the cheapest option.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
legendary
Activity: 1615
Two things not mentioned in the review:

- it has PIN protection so just getting one's hands on one of these isn't enough to steal the BTC stored on one. (This was in one of the videos, but who watches those, right?)
- The price is, according to keepkey.com, 239 USD.
legendary
This is a open forum feel free to compare/contrast hardware wallets.  And what features each one has. Even the prices of hardware wallets. These are very valid opinions and good information in general.

If post just is something like "Hardware wallets suck" it chances are will be removed.  But I have no problem with comparisons with other wallets its pretty much meant to be a open forum about hardware wallets.  But if your against hardware wallets in general this is not the place as it just is clutter.

And if you have used other hardware wallets specifically your input is appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
Major drawback is KeepKey cannot be used with Mycelium on Android like Trezor. Yes, it looks pretty but for $40 less I can buy two Trezors and have a spare.
legendary
problem
chrome extension
hacker makes a extension that looks the same but says "error on device, please type in backup seed to restore device"

... and then your coins are gone..

trezor/keepkey still havnt solved this very easy exploit

Good infos!

It also works with MultiBit HD with just downloading it.  I have tested it and was able to successfully use the KeepKey.  So you can do things that are not using the chrome extension.

Seems like MultiBit HD using it would fix that for Trezor and KeepKey but I could be wrong.

There are patches it looks like to get it to work with electrum. But I have not dove deep in it yet.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
problem
chrome extension
hacker makes a extension that looks the same but says "error on device, please type in backup seed to restore device"

... and then your coins are gone..

trezor/keepkey still havnt solved this very easy exploit

Good infos!
Pages:
Jump to: