Pages:
Author

Topic: Hardware Wallet Hacked? - page 3. (Read 744 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 251
May 23, 2019, 02:31:13 AM
Can hardware wallets like Ledger Nano be hacked and their coins stolen?

if someone finds our nano ledger and have some program maybe but i dont think so , atleast it cant be hacked from the internet since its not hooked up to the internet. to be honest i dont think its even possible to hack it offline.
Activity: 854
Merit: 281
May 23, 2019, 02:25:18 AM

There will always be theoretical vulnerabilities. One vulnerability in practice is when fake ones are sold to unsuspecting buyers giving the makers of the fake hardware wallet access to the user's private keys. In practice, it's very difficult to have your coins stolen with such a wallet.
Activity: 742
Merit: 21
Be the reason someone smiles today
May 23, 2019, 02:05:14 AM
As long as you don't expose the pass phrase a hardware wallet cannot be hacked. At least none has been yet hacked by an online attack.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 759
May 23, 2019, 01:17:02 AM
-snip-

Hackable, yes, but it comes with an asterisk:

The researchers announced during the conference, that they were able to extract the private key out of a Trezor One hardware wallet after overwriting existing data. They did point out, however, that this only works if the user didn’t set a passphrase.

To put things into the simplest terms, hardware wallets have never been hacked remotely (assuming no attacker ever got their hands on it in transit) due to the way they were designed. Things could easily change in the future, but they're currently the best we have in terms of security and ease of use. Other cold wallets are still more recommended for long term storage.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 355
May 22, 2019, 11:44:37 PM

One thing I learned in our modern, high-tech, interconnected and crypto-loving world is that anything can be possible with hackers who are genius and always two steps ahead of the game. Remember that story where hackers were able to destroy a nuclear facility of Iran...it was done cleverly using a virus just sleeping and hiding in a USB and the rest is history. Simple and effective. Hackers know that if there is a will there is a way. Let me share this very important article about the same subject:

https://www.chepicap.com/en/news/6222/trezor-one-ledger-nano-s-and-blue-get-hacked-ledger-denies-trezor-will-update-.html

This was last year and we know that hackers are always innovating to find ways to get into any platform or device as long they will connect online. The bottom line here is that we should always be careful and we should demand that our product/service providers should not be complacent in terms of security and protection.
Activity: 130
Merit: 3
May 22, 2019, 11:06:55 PM
Pages:
Jump to: