Pages:
Author

Topic: Hardware wallet vs software wallet for daily transaction - page 4. (Read 820 times)

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
So please, which one and why?

A hardware wallet you can easily buy already at under 100$. It doesn't have to be the fanciest and most "offline". Of course, the more money you want to keep on it, the more it makes also sense to not get the cheapest HW.

Why? Because of the peace of mind. Because it's convenient and you can use same known setup even when you travel. Because ... better safe than sorry.
Yes, both can be hacked, but for HW they need physical access or the owner doing something really-really stupid. And yeah, Electrum works with HW too, at least on PC.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
Imagine, you have $10000 (in BTC) which you may need every now and then for your daily expenses. Which wallet would you prefer to use?
1. A electrum wallet
2. A hardware wallet (You can transact offline, you can transact using your mobile)

Which one would you consider using if you are considering the fact that both wallet can be hacked and your $10000 can be stolen. Which one is safe from your end? Remember, we are talking about a wallet which you are using for paying your daily expenses. We may not have such a city, but there's nothing wrong to imagine a world with BTC as global currency.

And I really have tried to find out a better board to post this, I can't find any other board to post than this.

You can use both together.

However, you don't need to carry all those 10,000 with you all the time. You can send 9,000 to your HW and keep 1000 in a Electrum mobile wallet. Once the balance goes down, just move more to the mobile wallet.

Personally, I keep most of my coins (95%) in multiple hardware wallet, and I always use electrum or Metamask when making a transaction. I don't like Ledger Live software as it lacks fees/transaction customization.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
It all depends on how you protect your device.
If you know how to protect your wallet then Electrum should be enough for daily use but if you are a beginner and want an extra security layer then you must use a hardware wallet and hardware wallets like ledger nano support more coins than Electrum which only supports BTC.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1367
The question is if you may do all that from home (using computer/laptop) or if it must be mobile (smartphone - app or amartphone+HW).

If you think about world where FIAT is completely replaced by BTC, there you will have different kinds of transfer needed.
First of all, I do not understand why not to split your BTC into several wallets/devices.
You may pay for your electricity/gas etc., some serious payments, using hardware wallet and computer.
If you go to shop, you may use prepaid card, like one from Binance. Or use app on mobile phone - depends on the recipient's capabilities.
The question if you may plug your HW into smartphone is a secondary problem.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
Imagine, you have $10000 (in BTC) which you may need every now and then for your daily expenses. Which wallet would you prefer to use?
1. A electrum wallet
2. A hardware wallet (You can transact offline, you can transact using your mobile)

Which one would you consider using if you are considering the fact that both wallet can be hacked and your $10000 can be stolen. Which one is safe from your end? Remember, we are talking about a wallet which you are using for paying your daily expenses. We may not have such a city, but there's nothing wrong to imagine a world with BTC as global currency.

And I really have tried to find out a better board to post this, I can't find any other board to post than this.
Pages:
Jump to: