Pages:
Author

Topic: Hashrate RX 470 - page 17. (Read 135025 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
BitcoreService.com
October 08, 2016, 07:16:33 AM
@Lion BItcoin Shop and
@s3000s

You can find  sony87' original rom  here: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/10299/470-nitro-4-gb-elpida-memory

Two things:
First 470's seem to have a hardlock on 2100 Mhz RAM -my Nitro cards behave like they could blast through that limit with ease.
Does anyone know how to remove the 2100 Mhz limit?

Second> Cards can push both to 31800 Mh/s with curent bios and higher tweaks, bit unstable tho, but I dont like the power draw on them  -unless  you have free electricity.

If  I could remove the 2100 Mhz hard limit on RAM than I could get even higher rate.
Till then, I'm undervolting/underclocking  for better rate with lowest power draw

Get low:

Next step: more tweaks less draw

Edit> last two cards are 470s

how much you undervolt your vga till get 71watt powerdraw? it's seem imposible, i have tried it more but if i undervolt the hashrate will be down too, currently my setting 28mhs with 114watt powerdraw.

can you share how to get 71watt without making the hashrate down?
Activity: 653
October 08, 2016, 07:04:44 AM
@sony87 mod download link is down
Could someone please upload it somewhere else ?

That was such a great mod.
Activity: 505
October 08, 2016, 06:38:58 AM
@Lion BItcoin Shop and
@s3000s

You can find  sony87' original rom  here: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/10299/470-nitro-4-gb-elpida-memory

Two things:
First 470's seem to have a hardlock on 2100 Mhz RAM -my Nitro cards behave like they could blast through that limit with ease.
Does anyone know how to remove the 2100 Mhz limit?

Second> Cards can push both to 31800 Mh/s with curent bios and higher tweaks, bit unstable tho, but I dont like the power draw on them  -unless  you have free electricity.

If  I could remove the 2100 Mhz hard limit on RAM than I could get even higher rate.
Till then, I'm undervolting/underclocking  for better rate with lowest power draw

Get low:

Next step: more tweaks less draw

Edit> last two cards are 470s
Activity: 672
October 08, 2016, 06:34:47 AM
Anyone got any ideas why windows locks up when I start claymore. It gets to loading dag then locks up.
All cards are over locked. Most of the time it's the card with active video for teamviewer

Cards were at 1130/auto core 1945/955 mem
Moved them too 1130/auto core 2000/1000 mem

To much of an overclock?
Didn't move power.. maybe Up the watts?

If cards mine rock stable at higher frequencies and You have problem only with Claymore starting, try -lidag option:

"-lidag   low intensity mode for DAG generation, it can help with OC or weak PSU. Supported values are 0, 1, 2, 3, more value means lower intensity.
   You can also specify values for every card, for example "-lidag 1,0,3". Default value is "0" (no low intensity for DAG generation)."

i did try this. it worked once so i thought i was good. till a gpu locked up in opencl call.
i was pushing the 470s a little to hard 1945 is the sweet spot.
2000 mem only gives 1 more mhs but i cannot keep it stable for more than a 12 hours
Activity: 428
Merit: 250
Inactivity: 8963
October 08, 2016, 04:13:07 AM

You are probably generating crazy amount of memory errors. Some cards can do 2000MHz with low mem errors rate, some don't. As stated before -lidag can also help.
Activity: 736
Merit: 262
Me, Myself & I
October 08, 2016, 03:06:17 AM
Anyone got any ideas why windows locks up when I start claymore. It gets to loading dag then locks up.
All cards are over locked. Most of the time it's the card with active video for teamviewer

To much of an overclock?

If cards mine rock stable at higher frequencies and You have problem only with Claymore starting, try -lidag option:

"-lidag   low intensity mode for DAG generation, it can help with OC or weak PSU. Supported values are 0, 1, 2, 3, more value means lower intensity.
   You can also specify values for every card, for example "-lidag 1,0,3". Default value is "0" (no low intensity for DAG generation)."
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
October 07, 2016, 09:20:37 PM
yeah I find some 470s can have reported core temp quite low, but vrms will be pretty hot.  for example I had 55c core, so i put the fan pretty low, but vrms were almost 100c...this is due to bad cooling design IMO.  wolf made a great post about something related to this.  I actually ordered 1 xfx 480 4g today just to check it out, looks like the vrms and memory is actually cooled.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
October 07, 2016, 08:08:37 PM
I know ,I'm not used to it yet but you still have to watch it more then anything else Smiley. it can heat up fast.
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
October 05, 2016, 07:11:43 AM

guys give me the exact link to download the rom for 470 rx nitro 8gb?
because I have already ruined a bios video card, and I would not want to spoil the last one left.

After I show you what I did to change mod

You can fix it by flashing stock back to it. Even if I wanted to, I CAN'T give you a VBIOS guaranteed to work with it unless I had the stock one.

I tried it again flashing the original ROM, but if I put only the GPU remains black screen

Does it hash as a secondary GPU?

no no, the gpu rx 470 nitro, with 2 fans, has 2 bios, you know you have a small lever,
1 of these bios does not go, the screen remains black,

Here's what you do. Flip it to the working one. Boot Windows. WHILE RUNNING, flip the switch to the broken VBIOS. Flash stock to it. All fixed.
Activity: 428
Merit: 250
Inactivity: 8963
October 07, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
I see 95-100c on my ref 470 4gb VRM's, it's quite nominal range for that card model.
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
October 07, 2016, 03:46:20 PM
VRM'S are rated pretty high, IMO if you see 80-85c there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
It was only the wind.
October 05, 2016, 07:01:20 AM

because I have already ruined a bios video card, and I would not want to spoil the last one left.

You can fix it by flashing stock back to it. Even if I wanted to, I CAN'T give you a VBIOS guaranteed to work with it unless I had the stock one.

I tried it again flashing the original ROM, but if I put only the GPU remains black screen

Does it hash as a secondary GPU?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
October 07, 2016, 02:52:35 PM

To much of an overclock?

try at default setting first if it works then  your over clock setting are not adjusted right with each other .
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2016, 02:12:35 PM

To much of an overclock?

I have noticed that on some of my machines the card that is the primary display adapter, that you connect to a monitor etc, needs to be set to a slightly lower overclock/higher voltage than the rest for better stability. This card has to run additional system threads and can cause freezes/lockups.
Your clocks are pretty high already, I would recommend not getting greedy and sticking to 1130/1945. Raising them further will hardly net you any noticeable gains while pushing up power usage as well as causing instability. Happy Mining.

Okay thanks to both of you
I'll bring them all back down to 1130/1945/955.

Great info thanks guys !

What the best solution to clock them quickly with theses specs ? (kind of newb with all the Bios mod vs Wattman)

Thanks

It was only the wind.
October 05, 2016, 06:46:27 AM

October 07, 2016, 01:34:48 PM

To much of an overclock?

I have noticed that on some of my machines the card that is the primary display adapter, that you connect to a monitor etc, needs to be set to a slightly lower overclock/higher voltage than the rest for better stability. This card has to run additional system threads and can cause freezes/lockups.
Your clocks are pretty high already, I would recommend not getting greedy and sticking to 1130/1945. Raising them further will hardly net you any noticeable gains while pushing up power usage as well as causing instability. Happy Mining.

Okay thanks to both of you
I'll bring them all back down to 1130/1945/955.
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
October 07, 2016, 01:31:52 PM

To much of an overclock?

It was only the wind.
October 05, 2016, 04:13:18 AM
Memory speed capability mostly determined not by gpu itself but the memory chips installed and its cooling. Asus afaik has no mem cooling so this combination - slow hynix plus bad design yields low stable mem speeds. I run 1950mem with 1375 strap on sapphire ref-like rx470 without mem errors in hwinfo64.

I was a bit skeptical, since I've worked with lots of servers before and the RAM would only get warm to the touch.  However, I rely on data rather than my ego to determine what is correct, so I got out my IR thermometer and was surpised to find spots on the back of the card as hot as 98C.  I bumped the fan to manual 60%, and that brought the hot spots down to the 80s.  I then got out my infrared camera, and I could actually see the rectangular hot spots from the RAM on the other side of the board.  The worst is above the GPU where the aluminum heatsink blocks any airflow over 3 of the DDR chips.
With a small rectangular piece of aluminum plate and a thermal pad I could probably make a thermal bridge from the RAM to the heatsink to cool them down...

See my post here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wich-is-better-rx-470-refference-or-custom-fan-1615394

Actually I remember seeing that when you posted it.  But nobody actually gave any concrete info on the effect of DRAM cooling.  Had I known that they can get over 95C without heatsinks, I would've paid more attention to that when buying a card.  With the back of the board in the high 90's, the DRAM die likely was over 110C, or 25C over the maximum operating temperature for most Hynix RAM (85C).
https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=267

Since power scales exponentially with voltage (close to V^2), if I can undervolt the memory a bit, I might be able to keep it cool enough to actually overclock it a bit more.  I'm sure the Digi+ VRM can be controlled through I2C, but I don't want to dig up a data sheet or reverse engineer the register set in order to do it...

There is no software voltage control *on ref cards.*
Activity: 68
Merit: 0
October 07, 2016, 01:26:46 PM

To much of an overclock?

The overclock is too much. You need to reduce to the stock to start with, then raise the frequency gradually.
October 07, 2016, 12:09:34 PM

To much of an overclock?
Pages:
Jump to: