Pages:
Author

Topic: Have a "fired" day? - page 3. (Read 2020 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 441
July 09, 2014, 11:19:19 AM
Interesting how much language and how it is used is coming into play lately.  I'd have to give it some thought as to how this will be ruled on, and it would be a guess anyway.   I will say this; whenever some clerk says "Have a blessed day" to me, it irritates me.  While understanding the benign intent, I don't need a stranger's "blessing" on my day.

Maybe we should ask our Christians if they would appreciate "Go with Allah" from the convenience store clerk.
Now who would have figured that you'd be irritated because someone said "have a blessed day"? I guess its safe to say you've never counted your blessings because that would mean thanking God.

I'm going to guess that her statement won't be viewed as religious and that demanding she not say it is a violation of her free speech. I would much rather have someone like her waiting on me than someone with a sour puss because she's never counted her blessings.
I think it would be safe to say you've never had a rational thought in your entire life.Yes and lets not say "God Bless You" when some sneezes either.
Wouldn't want to offend anybody.  Grin
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
July 09, 2014, 11:15:46 AM
Interesting how much language and how it is used is coming into play lately.  I'd have to give it some thought as to how this will be ruled on, and it would be a guess anyway.   I will say this; whenever some clerk says "Have a blessed day" to me, it irritates me.  While understanding the benign intent, I don't need a stranger's "blessing" on my day.

Maybe we should ask our Christians if they would appreciate "Go with Allah" from the convenience store clerk.
Now who would have figured that you'd be irritated because someone said "have a blessed day"? I guess its safe to say you've never counted your blessings because that would mean thanking God.

I'm going to guess that her statement won't be viewed as religious and that demanding she not say it is a violation of her free speech. I would much rather have someone like her waiting on me than someone with a sour puss because she's never counted her blessings.
Activity: 350
July 09, 2014, 11:15:15 AM
The thing is, "Have a blessed day" could be neo-pagan as easily as Christian. I have no objection at all to such a greeting - or to the Muslim one, for that matter. My philosophy is that if someone says "I'm gonna pray for you", even if they mean it in a mean spirited and judgmental way, the proper response is always "Thank you". Here's the thing with this story, though - she doesn't own or run the bank. She's an employee there. And if they have rules prohibiting employees from expressing religions greetings to customers, then she should respect that. If she was warned several times, and continued to do it, I have no problem with the bank manager firing her.
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
July 09, 2014, 11:10:38 AM

Activity: 135
Merit: 100
July 08, 2014, 01:59:22 PM
They were likely just looking for an excuse to fire her.  I've seen a lot of good employees say questionable things, but they get away with it because they do good work.  If a terrible employee says something questionable, they get booted immediately, they just needed something concrete to boot them out the door.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
July 08, 2014, 12:35:02 PM
Can bank just fire anyone they don't like?

In a perfect world, yes.

I'm not sure I like your perfect world all that much; "I didn't like your joke... you're fired" doesn't seem to me to do much for job security. Tongue

As for this particular case, yeah, she probably pushed the limits a bit too far; she had previously been warned not to do it, and there are probably laws against that type of thing in the work place, particularly when dealing with costumers. She is the "public face" of the bank after all.
Activity: 448
July 08, 2014, 12:24:30 PM
Well depends on the employment contract that was signed,but this days it should not be legal to fire someone just because you don't like his face,or him as a person.....maybe they should put in the contract that the employ is not allowed to have an unprofessional talk or to use words like"bless"....
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 08, 2014, 12:15:15 PM

Well, proselytize to customers is more than enough reason to get fired...
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
July 08, 2014, 12:05:03 PM
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 08, 2014, 11:57:15 AM
Fuckin' proselytizers, they're everywhere...
Activity: 448
July 08, 2014, 11:50:20 AM
Woman fired for saying 'blessed day'?

A bank teller claims she was fired from U.S. Bank for telling a customer to "have a blessed day."
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/07/06/pkg-bank-teller-fired-for-saying-have-a-blessed-day.wxix.html
Bank clerk warned several times to keep her religious views to herself and to stop bringing religion up to customers. Finally she's fired and now she is suing the bank. This could be an important case in terms of religious rights and the rights of employers. Take a look at the short video and tell us what you think will happen.
Pages:
Jump to: