Pages:
Author

Topic: Hedge against BitCoin collapse - page 7. (Read 11669 times)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10
November 11, 2013, 09:31:25 PM
It seems there is misunderstanding of the term hedge

Gold, silver, food, fiat and clothes are not "offsetting positions" to Bitcoin.
Diversifying your investments is always a good idea.
But diversifying and hedging are not the same.

Hedging BTC would be to invest into something that would go up when BTC goes down.
Hypothetical example would like this: If Ripple was as popular as Bitcoin and BTC were to collapse,
to hedge BTC you would buy Ripple. Because when BTC collapses, Ripple would go up.
In the real world, I cannot think of anything that would truly hedge BTC.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Johnny Bitcoinseed
November 11, 2013, 09:08:30 PM
Best hedge is food etc.  Next some cash as well as gold and silver.  Spread your investment around.  One goes bust, you have the others.
Activity: 60
November 11, 2013, 11:41:32 AM
i heard that there are already trading options ("short" and "long" etc) but i cant recognize that service. but as time goes by, there will be more online services, that offer that stuff.

That would be good. Either that or insurance or bookmakers that pay out in the event of a bitcoin collepse.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
November 11, 2013, 09:41:16 AM
i heard that there are already trading options ("short" and "long" etc) but i cant recognize that service. but as time goes by, there will be more online services, that offer that stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
November 11, 2013, 09:32:21 AM
Hopefully PPC would be a good hedge, unfortunately Ripple too.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
November 11, 2013, 09:11:40 AM
silver

USD and silver doesn't feel like a hedge to me. I thought someone would say Money-transfer companies, Visa, and PayPal. Their shares are going to be undervalued because of the threat of bitcoin. However,if bitcoin go tits up then those companies shares will go up because the direct competition is no longer there.

If Bitcoin crashes because Bitcoin 2.0 comes along Visa won't look good.

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
November 11, 2013, 02:04:45 AM
A basket of real commodities such as good/silver/platinum
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1021
November 11, 2013, 01:45:09 AM
why wouldn't gold and silver be a hedge? i would assume that many people who hold bitcoins want something that has store of value, something that cannot be created out of thin air... so they'd choose gold/silver.

I agree. If anything happens to Bitcoin and it 'collapses' - it doesn't mean that other types of online payment will be successful.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
November 10, 2013, 05:02:38 PM
a basket of alt.coinz
or BBB (booze, blow, and bitches -the unholy triad of moneyness: if you can convert anything in them, it's money)
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 10, 2013, 04:59:32 PM
silver

USD and silver doesn't feel like a hedge to me. I thought someone would say Money-transfer companies, Visa, and PayPal. Their shares are going to be undervalued because of the threat of bitcoin. However,if bitcoin go tits up then those companies shares will go up because the direct competition is no longer there.

why wouldn't gold and silver be a hedge? i would assume that many people who hold bitcoins want something that has store of value, something that cannot be created out of thin air... so they'd choose gold/silver.

as of right now, i don't think bitcoin is an eminent threat to paypal.
November 10, 2013, 04:00:48 PM
silver

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Hash for Cash!
November 10, 2013, 02:29:45 PM
USD
November 10, 2013, 02:26:20 PM
I am looking for the perfect edge against a bitcoin collapse. My biggest fear is selfish mining or some
other hack on the system. Not so much worried about bears, volatility and governments.   
Pages:
Jump to: