Pages:
Author

Topic: HEEEELP ME, 2000$ R E W A R D FOR the right solution timestamp .bak wallet away - page 2. (Read 3720 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Procedure is as explained at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.14114474 and because there are no traces of .bak file or any other version of wallet.dat to which guy sent bitcoins I see no alternative to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.14113910

The worst case scenario is if Bitcoin Core simply nulled (innitialized) corrupt wallet.dat (previously wallet.(timestamp).bak file) then renamed it to __db.80000002.2d624f7d which is deleted afterwards.

Bitcoin Core itself is not doing what you suggest but it is possible that BerkleyDB is doing something strange in this situation (the __db files are below the level of what is coded in Bitcoin Core so if there is some issue with that then it is an issue with BerkleyDB).

Remember it was *you* (or *him*) that got rid of the file "wallet.XXX.bak" (by renaming it) not Bitcoin Core. What should have been done was to create a copy of this file (rather than rename it) in the very first place.

Also why on earth someone would be silly enough to rename such an important file as "wallet.dat" when Bitcoin Core is running is beyond me (it's as though the OP was trying to destroy his wallet on purpose which is hardly the approach that anyone who valued 200+ BTC would take).
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
Procedure is as explained at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.14114474 and because there are no traces of .bak file or any other version of wallet.dat to which guy sent bitcoins I see no alternative to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.14113910

The worst case scenario is if Bitcoin Core simply nulled (innitialized) corrupt wallet.dat (previously wallet.(timestamp).bak file) then renamed it to __db.80000002.2d624f7d which is deleted afterwards.
legendary
There is no wallet.dat file at the stage when you are renaming .bak file to .dat file.

Okay - so basically Bitcoin didn't actually start up properly then (or it started up without a wallet).

In either case it isn't magically deleting anything if you renamed the .bak file yourself.

Are you sure your .bak file is a corrupt wallet?
Right, but there are differences at OS level when it comes to handling of files. In any case, there are no traces of .bak file on my computer.

If there are no traces of the "wallet.XXX.bak" file after being renamed to "wallet.dat" (assuming you deleted the empty "wallet.dat" first) then it is because Bitcoin Core didn't find a problem with it when it restarted (i.e. the file wasn't corrupt).

There is no wallet.dat file at the stage when you are renaming .bak file to .dat file.
legendary
Right, but there are differences at OS level when it comes to handling of files. In any case, there are no traces of .bak file on my computer.

If there are no traces of the "wallet.XXX.bak" file after being renamed to "wallet.dat" (assuming you deleted the empty "wallet.dat" first) then it is because Bitcoin Core didn't find a problem with it when it restarted (i.e. the file wasn't corrupt).

The code is not ambiguous nor is it going to behave differently on Windows or Linux in regards to this.
legendary
If you want to pay me to "spend my time doing things" then you'll need to pay me up front.

You have been told to restore your old wallet and yet you don't do that and then seem to insist that others should waste their time repeating things in order to try and "point out a bug" (if I had just thought I'd lost over 200 BTC I wouldn't give a fuck about whether or not there is a bug).
Behaviour might be different based on OS, I am using Win7 64-bit with Bitcoin Core v0.12 64-bit.

The code I quoted is the same code regardless of OS (there isn't separate source code for the different OS versions).

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
5. Start Bitcoin Core again, it will detect corrupt wallet.dat, rename it to wallet.(random numbers).bak and exit.

Those are not "random numbers" but instead the current time stamp (as you can see clearly in the code I posted previously).

And Bitcoin Core does not delete this file anywhere (please show me the code where it does).

So if you deleted the empty "wallet.dat" and renamed the "wallet.XXX.dat" back to "wallet.dat" and restarted you'd just end up with a new empty "wallet.dat" and now a new "wallet.YYY.dat" (because the file is still corrupted and can't work as a valid wallet).

The file "wallet.XXX.dat" and "wallet.YYY.dat" would actually be identical (as it hasn't deleted anything).

Bitcoincore is not deleting
it
of course
but as i said its removing it
from the wallet.dat folder to somewhere
and this is a bug

please read carefully, or please please please, try yourself you will see

go step by step as i told you and you will see the file will disappear even if its not in the code.
you wil get a new file from the system, a new wallet
without the money OR receive adresses that was in the first one.
legendary
Behaviour might be different based on OS, I am using Win7 64-bit with Bitcoin Core v0.12 64-bit.

The code I quoted is the same code regardless of OS (there isn't separate source code for the different OS versions).
legendary
5. Start Bitcoin Core again, it will detect corrupt wallet.dat, rename it to wallet.(random numbers).bak and exit.

Those are not "random numbers" but instead the current time stamp (as you can see clearly in the code I posted previously).

And Bitcoin Core does not delete this file anywhere (please show me the code where it does).

So if you deleted the empty "wallet.dat" and renamed the "wallet.XXX.bak" back to "wallet.dat" and restarted you'd just end up with a new empty "wallet.dat" and now a new "wallet.YYY.bak" (because the file is still corrupted and can't work as a valid wallet).

The file "wallet.XXX.bak" and "wallet.YYY.bak" would actually be identical (as it hasn't deleted anything).
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Do what SISAR says.Every second you keep using this computer, you lower the chance of recovering files.
Turn it off. Now. Get another computer, plug in the disk, and start your search from there.

Oh, in the future: make backups!
So - it is not "sending your wallet somewhere"*** but renaming the corrupt wallet.dat to wallet.XXX.dat (as it can't open that wallet).

It then will create a new empty wallet and continue. Your old wallet is still there (just renamed to wallet.XXX.dat) but that file is corrupt - so if you rename it back to wallet.dat you are of course going to just go around in circles (as renaming isn't going to magically repair it).

You do get that this wallet "is corrupt" don't you?

***(perhaps you consider "renaming" to be "sending somewhere" in which case we have resolved that communication problem)

Before going any further I would recommend that you take a copy of the "wallet.XXX.dat" file.

That is not exactly how it goes.

1. Shutdown Bitcoin Core then move existing wallet.dat to some other directory.
2. Start Bitcoin Core, it will create a new wallet.dat file.
3. While Bitcoin Core is running, rename newly created wallet.dat to whatever else.
4. Shutdown Bitcoin Core, it will throw an error and exit.
5. Rename file back to wallet.dat and start Bitcoin Core again, it will detect corrupt wallet.dat then it will rename it to wallet.(random numbers).bak and exit.
6. Rename wallet.(random numbers).bak back to wallet.dat and start Bitcoin Core again.
7. Bitcoin Core will delete wallet.dat file and create __db.80000002.2d624f7d file (size is 512 bytes) then afterwards create a new wallet.dat file. Or wallet.dat file was not deleted but nulled (innitialized) and renamed to __db.80000002.2d624f7d can't realy tell.
8. Upon the next Bitcoin Core shutdown __db.80000002.2d624f7d file will be deleted.

Hence wallet.(random numbers).bak is gone, one way or another. And guy did not created a backup of it at step 5. nor did he created a backup of wallet.dat at step 6.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 756
Bobby Fischer was right
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1382650.0;topicseen
Hi maybe this will help. It works with windows.
Its program for recovering wallets and passwords.
legendary
As explained - the wallet *is corrupt* and can't be used (you're behaving like someone whose car is broken down who just keeps on trying to restart the engine when you've been told it is broken down).

You said you had an old backup so go and restore your old backup (and do that using a different machine as recommended by myself and others) and until you've done that I don't think you can expect any further assistance.

EDIT: Interesting timing that this suddenly has appeared: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1382650.msg3049193;topicseen#new

(perhaps this topic is actually a marketing exercise)
No - that is not what happens (please read the code and if you can't then take my word for it or ask another programmer to read it and explain it to you).

It is failing to correctly the open the "wallet.dat" file which is (most likely) due to it being corrupt (there may be other reasons I guess of course).

but where is my file gone than, why the receiving adress is not in there and why the money is gone what ruins me and my family?

the code may say something different, but i am sure what i saw... maybe the whole chain is stil in the wallet, but i can not see it

anybody can repeat this error easy on his mac
its always the same
i start the bitcoin core, the wallet.dat file (only if i before converted it from the generated system file back to wallet.dat) disappear
then short before bitcoin core is up it creates a new wallet.
but the old, that was gone is having the information
legendary
No - that is not what happens (please read the code and if you can't then take my word for it or ask another programmer to read it and explain it to you).

It is failing to correctly the open the "wallet.dat" file which is (most likely) due to it being corrupt (there may be other reasons I guess of course but they are very unlikely to be relevant to this situation) so it then renames it (once it has been renamed you no longer have a file called "wallet.dat" which is why it can then create a new one).

Once it has renamed the bad "wallet.dat" file it should have no problem in creating a new "wallet.dat" (it would only not be able to do that if the rename failed but you reported that it did rename as was recorded in your log file).

I'm not sure when this behaviour was introduced (older versions of Bitcoin Core would simply fail to start if the wallet was found to be corrupt).
So - it is not "sending your wallet somewhere"*** but renaming the corrupt wallet.dat to wallet.XXX.dat (as it can't open that wallet).

It then will create a new empty wallet and continue. Your old wallet is still there (just renamed to wallet.XXX.dat) but that file is corrupt - so if you rename it back to wallet.dat you are of course going to just go around in circles (as renaming isn't going to magically repair it).

it can only create a new wallet.dat, if there is not wallet.dat, but there was a wallet.dat, because i renamed the wallet.xxx.bak to wallet.dat
but the new fresh renamed was then removed and replaced
legendary

You do get that this wallet "is corrupt" don't you?

***(perhaps you consider "renaming" to be "sending somewhere" in which case we have resolved that communication problem)

Before going any further I would recommend that you take a copy of the "wallet.XXX.dat" file.
Pages:
Jump to: