Pages:
Author

Topic: Help: recover privkey after exporting from Qt? - page 2. (Read 4869 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
ok, installed python 2.7, twisted, and zope-interface.

how do i install pywallet, then run it on the C:drive?

download pywallet.py from github and run it from the windows command line.

Yup

Code:
wget "http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wmXTdQrf" -O pywallet_2.1.0b4.py
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go(change this to something superior than your device size) --recov_outputdir .

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered.  

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go(change this to something superior than your device size) --recov_outputdir .

any further suggestions?

1- Download pywallet_2.1.0b4.py to C:\   *
2- Create a dir named "recovered" on C:\  *
Code:
cd c:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
* It's a terrible idea to write files to the disk from where you want to recover lost wallets/private keys, but being it a VM I don't see any other way.

i remembered incorrectly.  it was not generated on a vm.  

i am now on the exact Windows machine i generated "1cypher" on last year so if a privkey remnant is stored somewhere in the hard drive as jackjack suggests, then it should be here.

having said that, here is what i get when i execute your command:

Code:
C:\>python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go
 --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>

edit:  i originally installed pywallet to the Downloads folder but dragged it over to C: just b/c it didn't run when i initially directed it at Downloads.

Your best bet is to work with the "wallet.dat" that once contained the priv key. Like psy previously said the C: drive was probably rewritten so you wouldn't have a chance of getting anything.

How about the Armory wallet? You imported the priv key with it?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered.  

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?

1- Download pywallet_2.1.0b4.py to C:\   *
2- Create a dir named "recovered" on C:\  *
Code:
cd c:
python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
* It's a terrible idea to write files to the disk from where you want to recover lost wallets/private keys, but being it a VM I don't see any other way.

i remembered incorrectly.  it was not generated on a vm.  

i am now on the exact Windows machine i generated "1cypher" on last year so if a privkey remnant is stored somewhere in the hard drive as jackjack suggests, then it should be here.

having said that, here is what i get when i execute your command:

Code:
C:\>python pywallet_2.1.0b4.py --recover --recov_device "C:" --recov_size 1000Go
 --recov_outputdir "C:\recovered"
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>

edit:  i originally installed pywallet to the Downloads folder but dragged it over to C: just b/c it didn't run when i initially directed it at Downloads.
legendary
Activity: 1358

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered. 

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?

1- Download pywallet_2.1.0b4.py to C:\   *
2- Create a dir named "recovered" on C:\  *
Code:
cd c:
legendary

Yup

Code:
Code:

Code:

any further suggestions?

"pywallet.py --web" and then navigate to http://localhost:8989/, work with the entire pub key to find it "1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA"

This tool never failed me once and I thank jackjack for making it.

it doesn't appear that the web gui can recover a lone privkey if it's not in a wallet.  ie, it doesn't have the recovery feature.

i'm hoping the privkey is somewhere on this C: drive since it was generated on this machine.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

Yup

Code:
Code:

Code:

any further suggestions?

"pywallet.py --web" and then navigate to http://localhost:8989/, work with the entire pub key to find it "1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA"

This tool never failed me once and I thank jackjack for making it.
legendary

Yup

Code:
Code:

i should be able to get this to work.  i've installed all the tools for pywallet onto the exact windows computer that vanitygen'd "1cypher".  i dumped the current wallet using 8989 but this isn't a wallet that ever had "1cypher".  but the remnants must be somewhere in this OS if you're correct about how vanitygen leaving traces of the address that can be recovered. 

for the life of me though, i can't get the right combination of commands to "recover" the privkey from this.  not a frequent command line user:

Code:

any further suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1260
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
The code was bugged for linux/mac, the last version is working: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wmXTdQrf
legendary

Yup

Code:
Code:
legendary
Activity: 1358

legendary

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
Cool, I never used it, but it should be easy enough, using google, to make a new vm and mount your old hard-drive image in this new VM.
Then run pywallet from this newly created vm, pointing to the partition of this old-restored-mounted-drive you think your wallet has ever been stored or copied to.
legendary
is there such a thing as mounting a hard drive in Windows?
Yes, but if it's a virtual hard drive, you need a compatible VM. What soft were you hosting the VM with (vmware, hyper-v, virtual server, etc.) ?

vmware fusion
Yes, but if it's a virtual hard drive, you need a compatible VM. What soft were you hosting the VM with (vmware, hyper-v, virtual server, etc.) ?
legendary
If your wallet was stored on a vhd or equivalent virtual hard drive file, then you probably need to run the pywallet command on a VM with this vhd mounted, yes.
I doubt it would be able to parse private keys from a virtual hard drive file - but I might be wrong.

So restore the vhd, run a vm with this vhd mounted, install pywallet, and try the command line, targeting the vhd partition.

If your wallet was stored on a vhd or equivalent virtual hard drive file, then you probably need to run the pywallet command on a VM with this vhd mounted, yes.
I doubt it would be able to parse private keys from a virtual hard drive file - but I might be wrong.

So restore the vhd, run a vm with this vhd mounted, install pywallet, and try the command line, targeting the vhd partition.
legendary
i've got this feeling the recovery feature is not going to work unless those key remnants in a dev/sda get stored in a VM, which i doubt.

the macbook on which that VM and Windows resides had to be reformatted and a new mac OS had to be installed for other reasons.  the VM/Windows image was then restored that had originally generated the wallet.

i could be wrong.
Ok maybe I was not clear enough

This feature will read all the bytes on the partition you provide (/dev/sdax) and then gather everything that looks like a key
It does not read your wallet to try to repair it

That's why you need to put the partition where your wallet was/is

Also, you need to replace the 'x' in "/dev/sdax" by 2 or 5, depending on which partition your wallet was stored/copied on. If not sure, try both.
Sorry JackJack, this was begining to look like a mandatory hint.
legendary

This feature will read all the bytes on the partition you provide (/dev/sdax) and then gather everything that looks like a key

well then i'm going to have to move it back to the Windows system where it originated.
legendary

legendary
i have to be careful b/c i'm doing this on my linux mining server which has it's own wallet.dat and was not the originating computer.

i've copied the wallet.dat in question to the Desktop and need to confine any operations to it.
Pages:
Jump to: