Pages:
Author

Topic: Help: recover privkey after exporting from Qt? - page 3. (Read 4869 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2763547

Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/xxx"

does this look right before i run it?:

Code:
sudo python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/cypher/Desktop/wallet.dat"

edit:  do i need the passphrase?
You need to change:
 - 500Go to the approximate size of your partition (better higher than lower)
 - /dev/sdax to the partition you want to look into (sudo fdisk -l might help)
 - As Kouye said recov_outputdir must be a directory, empty or not

Pywallet will ask for the passphrases

The recovered file will be named "recovered_wallet_{timestamp}.dat"

this is what i have:

Code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048      499711      248832   83  Linux
/dev/sda2          501758   250068991   124783617    5  Extended
/dev/sda5          501760   250068991   124783616   83  Linux
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
so this where "output" is a new empty folder?
Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/cypher/Desktop/output

If your partition is like 300->500Go large, and if you never stored a wallet outside of /dev/sdax, then I guess it's ok.
If you think you might have stored/copied your wallet elsewhere, you'll need to retry with [elsewhere] instead of /dev/sdax, once this fails.
legendary

Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/xxx"

Code:
sudo python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/cypher/Desktop/wallet.dat"

edit:  do i need the passphrase?

Err, no, wallet.dat is not an "outputdir"... You need an empty folder where, I guess, all the found wallet ghosts will be written.

so this where "output" is a new empty folder?

Code:
python pywallet_2.1.0b2.py --recover --recov_size 500Go --recov_device "/dev/sdax" --recov_outputdir="/home/cypher/Desktop/output
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1260
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

Code:

Code:

You need to change:
 - 500Go to the approximate size of your partition (better higher than lower)
 - /dev/sdax to the partition you want to look into (sudo fdisk -l might help)
 - As Kouye said recov_outputdir must be a directory, empty or not

Pywallet will ask for the passphrases

The recovered file will be named "recovered_wallet_{timestamp}.dat"
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

Code:

Code:

edit:  do i need the passphrase?

Err, no, wallet.dat is not an "outputdir"... You need an empty folder where, I guess, all the found wallet ghosts will be written.
legendary

Code:

Code:

legendary

Code:
legendary
Then I'm sorry, I can't help you
AFAIK pywallet is the only tool that allows you to delete an address but it would have deleted the entry in "names" too anyway
I really don't see what happened here

If you definitely can't find it again, you should consider using pywallet's recovery feature

remember that i used Armory's import key function which extracts the key out of Qt.  it appears that it does what it says it does and this is irreversible.

So, can't you get it out of the Armory wallet it was imported to?

no, b/c it got deleted.   Grin

I'm afraid to ask about backups now Roll Eyes

believe it or not i lost 3 USB keys in the last 2 months with backups to this key on them.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1358
AFAIK pywallet is the only tool that allows you to delete an address but it would have deleted the entry in "names" too anyway

If you definitely can't find it again, you should consider using pywallet's recovery feature

remember that i used Armory's import key function which extracts the key out of Qt.  it appears that it does what it says it does and this is irreversible.

no, b/c it got deleted.   Grin

I'm afraid to ask about backups now Roll Eyes
legendary

no, b/c it got deleted.   Grin
legendary
Activity: 1358

legendary
you should consider using pywallet's recovery feature

i don't see a command for that.
legendary

legendary
this is what i keep getting using -salvagewallet and -rescan on Mac itself:

Code:
13:27:42

walletpassphrase
Stores the wallet decryption key in memory for seconds. (code -1)

13:27:48

dumpprivkey 1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA

13:27:48

Private key for address 1cypherEucdwyZ8Xn84M8qUscjBXnWGZA is not known (code -4)
legendary

legendary
Make a wallet backup and then run Bitcoin-Qt with -salvagewallet command. If nothing happens try -rescan to check if wallet recognizes
transactions associated with address in question.

can you be a little more specific about the command lines involved and from what folder?

You need to run Bitcoin-Qt with commands added, e.g. bitcoin-qt.exe -salvagewallet and then eventualy bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan

and on a mac and from which directory?

Locate directory where bitcoin-qt.exe is, create shortcut for it and add commands listed above to it then start wallet using created shortcut. Do
not forget to remove commands from shortcut after you are done.

didn't work.

on a mac, it's not a *.exe, it's an *.app file.  and the term is alias, not shortcut.
legendary
You see it in the "name" list but not in the "key" list??
I don't even know how that can happen. Except using the pywallet feature but you don't seem to used it.

i ran pywallet just like you said in linux on the wallet in question and it only produced my vanitygen address in the "name" list w/o a hexsec but nowhere else in the key list above it.

Do other addresses have hexsecs? Do you see this address in the first list (even without hexsec)?

yes, all the other addresses have hexsecs and no the vanitygen address is not listed there.  only in the "names" list.
legendary
I don't even know how that can happen. Except using the pywallet feature but you don't seem to used it.

i ran pywallet just like you said in linux on the wallet in question and it only produced my vanitygen address in the "name" list w/o a hexsec but nowhere else in the key list above it.

Do other addresses have hexsecs? Do you see this address in the first list (even without hexsec)?
legendary

legendary
Pages:
Jump to: