Pages:
Author

Topic: Here is why it's consistent to keep polygamy illegal, but gay marriage legal - page 2. (Read 833 times)

legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
In fact, our modern society has placed human desire on the throne and now people can wish anything and their desires will be fulfilled if enough people request it.
It's enough to use in the campaign strong words like ''human rights'' and ''equality '' and sooner or later everything becomes acceptable and legally regulated, if there is enough pressure in the public.
So, because of it, I'm sure that now, when gay marriages are legal, very soon polygamy will become legal to.
Men will be able to legally have two or more women and the same will be true for women.
I see no reason that this does not happen in the next few years.
If we use the principle of human rights for the guy marriages, can we apply for polygamy other criteria?
Once Pandora's box is open who can close it again?

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
I've been seeing both sides of the debate when it comes to polygamy. The anti-gay marriage crowd asked a fair question - if the definition of marriage can change from one man/woman to man/man or woman/woman, on what grounds can polygamy be denied given it is involving consenting adults.

The pro gay-marriage crowd (playing damage control a bit) would dismiss the question or simply state polgamy is not in big demand. But either response was deflecting from the question.

Last night, after about four IPAs, I actually figured it out.

When marriage is denied to gays, it is denying a person something than another person has a legal right to.

But in making polygamy illegal, it is discriminating against everyone - including gays, straights, men and women. Therefore, in a skewed way, there is no one excluded from the anti-polygamy law because it is forbidden to all.
Pages:
Jump to: