Pages:
Author

Topic: History of Russia - page 2. (Read 1549 times)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
February 13, 2014, 04:18:18 PM
pretty scary state. Just picking up those olympic medals and get the f**k out.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
February 13, 2014, 02:12:55 PM
if you are interested in Russian history, try this podcast http://russianrulers.podhoster.com/
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
February 08, 2014, 04:10:49 AM
It doesn't matter how many people they would have had, the communist system would have collapsed regardless.  You only need to look at China with it's more than a billion people and it is not more powerful than the US to know that population, while important, is not the determining factor.

Communism is a failed ideology. But Russia would have flourished even under a communist regime, as it had a strong base (literate people, productive population, vast amounts of natural resources.etc).

Those two don't work together. Wink
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
February 07, 2014, 12:57:27 AM
Considering the Russian supposedly began in Muscovy, they've made it an awfully long way to Kamchatka.....

They even expanded beyond Kamchatka.... Alaska was under Russian rule until 1867... and there were Russian colonies in California.

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 06, 2014, 12:04:40 PM
Well Russia has always been sitting in both camps so to speak, as far as Europe/Asia is concerned, so I think it should be alright.

As for Russian expansion into the Far East I'm certainly willing to explore that. I wonder if it has any parallels to the westward expansion of the United States.

Considering the Russian supposedly began in Muscovy, they've made it an awfully long way to Kamchatka.....
legendary
December 12, 2013, 05:24:51 AM
It doesn't matter how many people they would have had, the communist system would have collapsed regardless.  You only need to look at China with it's more than a billion people and it is not more powerful than the US to know that population, while important, is not the determining factor.

Communism is a failed ideology. But Russia would have flourished even under a communist regime, as it had a strong base (literate people, productive population, vast amounts of natural resources.etc).
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
December 12, 2013, 04:49:35 AM
Hitler and Stalin killed too many Russian people. Else a combined Russian - Ukrainian - Belorussian - Moldvin state would have had a population of 600 million today, and would have had twice as much power as the US is currently having.

legendary
December 12, 2013, 03:47:17 AM
Hitler and Stalin killed too many Russian people. Else a combined Russian - Ukrainian - Belorussian - Moldvin state would have had a population of 600 million today, and would have had twice as much power as the US is currently having.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
December 12, 2013, 02:32:05 AM
Russian people need a break. I always wondered why russia should feel so antagonistic towards the west, given that the main threat to their peoples always came from the east and south. Western 'aggression' is more of a recent phenomenan, but I highly doubt even the more ardent anti-russian politicians are thinking we have some 'imperialist' design to have our boys go goose stepping through red square.

Besides, I highly doubt anyone would look at russians and think, "There's a middle easterner/asian/african,etc". Face it, russians have more in common with the western civilization than they like to admit. It is entirely logical that Russia should count the west as an ally, considering the amount of threat other people along their borders pose - both culturally and ethnically.

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
Pages:
Jump to: