Pages:
Author

Topic: HODL or SELL during dip??? - page 3. (Read 779 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 20
January 30, 2018, 06:55:47 PM
I think people need to do very thorough research on any coin they invest in. This will ensure they have the confidence in the project to hold on during bear cycles.

But position size is everything.

Nobody panic sells a coin which make up 1-5% of their total portfolio. It's a different matter when the coin account for maybe 30-40% and it's dropping like a cannonball..
Strongly agree. Its so hard to decide in urgent. Because we need a lot of basis before doing any action. We have to consider different aspect of trading before we go and sell the coin that we are holding. Because sometime know if this coin can still recover or not , so you better do a reliable research for you / us to have a basis in making decision.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
January 30, 2018, 06:51:32 PM
A new wave of immersion has begun and again beginners will be very worried about their investment portfolio. I recommend not selling coins because in the future the price will go up again. If you sell today you will probable miss your profit in the future.
Activity: 364
Merit: 255
January 30, 2018, 05:01:19 PM
This is a regular question I see and 99.9% of the answer I see is HODL.

I agree generally but there are exceptions.  Here are a few and I hope others add what I missed.

1.  Coin is really bad you have to abandon it ASAP (see #2 also)
2.  There are better coins and you plan to re-invest (sell then buy another).
3.  If you foresee further dip (alt vs BTC or USD)
4.  If you flip and day trade (risky)

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!
Also, be very careful with 1 and 2 points. When I was a newbie a though that buy selling with a loss and reinvesting in another coin would work but in 80 percent of cases this also fails, because if you failed to choose right coin once, why would you be able to choose the right coin twice?
Activity: 854
Merit: 100
January 30, 2018, 03:05:02 PM
I'll just HODL because most of the coins/tokens I invested in are projects I trust. Just challenge yourself to HODL for at least a year, and there's a good chance things will be good. Well, that's according to the past. Who knows, just put what you can afford to lose. High risk, high gain.
Activity: 256
January 30, 2018, 01:18:02 PM
Like most things, being panicked and making decisions based on fear will not bring the best results. When I see a dip, I either hold what I have or find something interesting that I feel is a bargain and accumulate more. Cooler heads always prevail.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 30, 2018, 11:51:24 AM
Generally the answer is HODL, but there are factors that one needs to take into consideration when weighing their options.  The most important one being the current situation of the coin and long term plan...if there is a positive future then HODL.  However, if the future isn't that bright, and there are better options that you have discovered...then SELLING would be advisable.  Again, it all depends where you will move your money to after you sell and which coin provides you with the better overall return down the road.
Activity: 350
Merit: 122
January 30, 2018, 11:51:04 AM
Just t clarify....
- This is not a question for me, rather a tutorial for others.
- The scenario described are for the coins you are already holding-not to infuse new "capital".  My fault for not making that clear, I thought it is understood.  I agree and do BUY the dips if I have extra capital.
Activity: 135
Merit: 10
January 30, 2018, 11:48:29 AM
If you could just put your stop-loss then you do not have to worry about the dip and instead buy more because it is a good way to get some profit in a short term or it depends to you on how much you will sell it
Activity: 1708
Merit: 541
January 30, 2018, 11:47:36 AM
This is a regular question I see and 99.9% of the answer I see is HODL.

I agree generally but there are exceptions.  Here are a few and I hope others add what I missed.

1.  Coin is really bad you have to abandon it ASAP (see #2 also)
2.  There are better coins and you plan to re-invest (sell then buy another).
3.  If you foresee further dip (alt vs BTC or USD)
4.  If you flip and day trade (risky)

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!

Good point. As you said, I only hold a coin strong if its really promising. Sometimes I buy because I see a slight chance of moon, if these coins/opportunity fails, I often sell at loss. I don't see it as a problem as long as you get your risk managed properly. You can't win 100% of the time, so risk management is very important.

You forgot one thing, by the way. If you believe in that coin, instead of hodling or selling, you should buy more. It's a perfect chance to increase your bag and lower the average buy price.
Activity: 821
Merit: 101
January 30, 2018, 11:43:58 AM
Hodl and buy is the right thing to do while the market is down.  Go and buy your favorite coins while they are cheap ,fill your bags and wait till the market bounce back. Easy profit
Activity: 2506
Merit: 368
January 30, 2018, 11:41:37 AM
Why sell when it is in dip? Clearly, the answer is HODL but if you miss the chance to sell your coins everything has it's turning back point. So it is up to you on when to let go your coins but the risk here is you might miss the chance if you miscalculated it. Anyway there's no perfect time for everything and it is up to you to take that risk to sell or to hold. Be sure you don't regret your decision in the end because it's no use.
Activity: 798
Merit: 103
January 30, 2018, 10:12:21 AM
If a coin is still dropping, you can sell and rebuy lower. But there is also a risk that you don't succeed to buy it at a lower price. You can also HODL. Sometimes it is good to sell if the price it went won't be reached after a lot of days/months. There is also the risk that a coin die.
Activity: 515
Merit: 101
January 30, 2018, 10:05:46 AM
I just hold my coins. because before investing in any coins, I have researched carefully. I believe in my coins and I do not sell in panic
Activity: 16
January 30, 2018, 09:52:34 AM
During the period the exchange rate of cryptos decreases, if you are investing in Bitcoin and ETH then hold and wait until the exchange rate increases again. If you hold the other altcoins, then the advice is to exchange from altcoins to USDT and keep until the market rebounds back in March. At these dip times, you need to calm and resolve.

That is what I am doing. I hold all the coins I mined at present. I think the price could double or triple in 12 months.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC
January 30, 2018, 09:46:55 AM
of course hodl!, who else here want to see his/her money go for nothing. But it's case to case if the coin you've buy has no update and no active devs then i believe it's time for you to cutloss. I mean it's an every traders taboo to do such kind of things, what can i leave you is a piece of advice. Please do take careful research when you are selecting at coin to invest with.
Activity: 294
Tokenize Fantasy Sports
January 30, 2018, 08:31:54 AM
During the period the exchange rate of cryptos decreases, if you are investing in Bitcoin and ETH then hold and wait until the exchange rate increases again. If you hold the other altcoins, then the advice is to exchange from altcoins to USDT and keep until the market rebounds back in March. At these dip times, you need to calm and resolve.
Activity: 280
Merit: 10
January 30, 2018, 06:49:18 AM
When I had few funds on the accounts I was selling. Now I always keep part of the portfolio in bitcoin and when I am dipping, I buy some interesting coins. Plus, I stopped buying coins for the whole portfolio and this also helps.
Activity: 27
January 29, 2018, 04:31:18 PM
This depends on the project, what dips today could give x5 tomorrow
Activity: 58
January 29, 2018, 03:06:20 PM
I think it's better to choose to sell and buy another coin that has good potential for investment, or wait for the new pump to sell the coin
Activity: 2464
Merit: 603
January 29, 2018, 02:16:45 PM
HODL and BUY during dip.
Pages:
Jump to: