Pages:
Author

Topic: HODL or SELL during dip??? - page 5. (Read 779 times)

Activity: 1134
Merit: 102
January 26, 2018, 11:22:05 PM
The best strategy is when the price of coin is decreasing you have to buy and hold your previous buy because with dips you can easily track the average price and start selling them in next pump.
Activity: 826
Merit: 256
January 26, 2018, 09:49:48 PM
Holding a coin during the dip is still the best strategy especially if all the coins you bought are potential to grow in the long term. Dip or correction is just a part of every crypto or token because of  their volatility, and it will followed by uptrend later. Always choose the qualified coin if you want to put it in long term hodl and not the pump and dump type of coin or the so called shitcoins. What I do during the dip is to buy  some more potential coins because of their cheaper prices.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 26, 2018, 08:42:26 PM
I think it depends very much on which coin you are holding. If it is a new pumper-dumper, then it makes sense to sell when you see profits and cut your losses if it drops.

But - if your coin is one of those on poloniex which allow margin trading, you can make money by lending it out. For those coins, lend the coins out, make some more coins while you wait for the coin to recover. A sort of hold/lend strategy.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1013
DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!
January 26, 2018, 08:13:22 PM
Actually this is all about timing. If you are too late to sell you HAVE TO hold.
But if you foresee future and sell before it's going down then you are good.
If you missed the selling opportunity there is no point selling them cheaper then.
Activity: 728
Merit: 265
January 26, 2018, 07:48:46 PM
I will prefer HODL especially when at that time you aren't get some earnings from that coin. In fact it is proven and and on some experience too that when the coin get into the dip cycle it will bring back to some skyrocket price. But one thing too that if you know how dip would long then prefer to sell its on the hands of every individual. It is always a choice people make.
Activity: 350
Merit: 122
January 26, 2018, 05:29:52 PM
When I entered the cryptocurrency market, I determined from the start that I was a Holder, my job was to pick a few potential coins, buy a low price and forget about them. Of course, I also have to read and study a lot of the crypto that I invest in, and invest in value so I do not care about price fluctuations in the market. However, after a recent crash just before Christmas, I have a question: "If you are a long-term investor, stop loss before the crash is necessary?"

Necessary? NO.
Smart? YES.

Hard core HODLers don't care but a smart investor with some free time can take advantage of the dips.  Sell high buy low.
Activity: 238
Merit: 10
Blockchain with solar energy
January 26, 2018, 05:20:19 PM
When I entered the cryptocurrency market, I determined from the start that I was a Holder, my job was to pick a few potential coins, buy a low price and forget about them. Of course, I also have to read and study a lot of the crypto that I invest in, and invest in value so I do not care about price fluctuations in the market. However, after a recent crash just before Christmas, I have a question: "If you are a long-term investor, stop loss before the crash is necessary?"
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
January 26, 2018, 04:00:05 PM
it really depends on the specific coin, but generally I wait out market dips as they have always come back. There have been specific coins though where I have sold at a loss when I have much higher confidence in a different coin to either maintain its value during the rest of the decline or bounce back quicker, often based on the fundamentals of the project - but you should already be investing in coins with solid fundamentals to help avoid scams.
Activity: 981
Merit: 503
January 26, 2018, 03:39:00 PM
This is a regular question I see and 99.9% of the answer I see is HODL.

I agree generally but there are exceptions.  Here are a few and I hope others add what I missed.

1.  Coin is really bad you have to abandon it ASAP (see #2 also)
2.  There are better coins and you plan to re-invest (sell then buy another).
3.  If you foresee further dip (alt vs BTC or USD)
4.  If you flip and day trade (risky)

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!

It's pointless to sell during a dip, unless you are forced to.
If you want to sell, wait few days for negative wave to gone. I have the habit to swap alts during dips.
Activity: 742
Merit: 144
January 26, 2018, 03:37:47 PM
Depends on the coin you are holding for, in the number 1 situation you really have to cut loss if you just bought shit coins and invest it on a great coin  so you can get your loss back over time. Hold if its good, no matter how dip the price is but if you do trading holding might be not an option.
Activity: 896
Merit: 520
January 26, 2018, 03:26:04 PM

I agree generally but there are exceptions.  Here are a few and I hope others add what I missed.

Lol, funny guys. Said many people asking and replied in the OP post itself. So what is the use of replying in your thread. My hair is spiking and I am thinking about it. If you want to help anybody in such kind you have to create a thread on the Beginners and help when the many newbies worming to grab the knowledge.
Want to one more thing too, This is million time asked and answered question bro. Hope you understand this is no needed here.  Smiley Smiley
Activity: 68
Merit: 1
Share your merit with me if I was helpful :)
January 26, 2018, 03:16:35 PM
I think HODL is valid for BTC and major altcoins. With minor altcoins I think SELL during dip is better. This kind of coins usually (not always) get a bigger dip than major ones or BTC. The problem I think is during recovery because while the dips are stronger for such altcoins, the recovery, if it happens, can be faster or slower than for the major ones. For this coins I think it's like betting.
January 26, 2018, 03:12:47 PM

I agree generally but there are exceptions.  Here are a few and I hope others add what I missed.

1.  Coin is really bad you have to abandon it ASAP (see #2 also)
2.  There are better coins and you plan to re-invest (sell then buy another).
3.  If you foresee further dip (alt vs BTC or USD)
4.  If you flip and day trade (risky)

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!

You're right in saying there are situations where holding is the second best option, generally though the advice will land on hold and I think there's one fundamental reason for that. If prices are already dipping you're already down, the only way to really make that worse is if you then sell at the low and have to buy back at a higher price. If you just hold you are safe as long as the price recovers at some point. You don't maximise profit but you greatly reduce risk.

Copy paste of response above (post #9)
========================================

in a blood bath, what you are selling is indeed at a loss BUT NOTE that what you are buying is also a BARGAIN (on sale).  

They even out. Wink

So many here seem to be unaware of this fact.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1140
January 26, 2018, 03:12:34 PM

This is where our experience and intelligence would really be tested on these kind of circumstances because there are really these kind of situations on where we do need to go out or secure money as fast as we can on some situations.Intuition might be one of the factors on doing such decision. If you didnt able to get out on profits then you might end up on breakeven and missing out the profits when a certain coin dumped all the way.
Activity: 294
Merit: 107
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
January 26, 2018, 03:03:56 PM

You're right in saying there are situations where holding is the second best option, generally though the advice will land on hold and I think there's one fundamental reason for that. If prices are already dipping you're already down, the only way to really make that worse is if you then sell at the low and have to buy back at a higher price. If you just hold you are safe as long as the price recovers at some point. You don't maximise profit but you greatly reduce risk.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
January 26, 2018, 02:54:14 PM

There are always exceptions but if it is the scenario 1 the reason you are selling then you need to make an analysis of why you bought that coin in the first place, what went wrong, the developers abandoned the project, the authorities began investigating the project or some other reason, this is why it is better to have a small portfolio since it is easier to monitor all your coins.
Activity: 896
Merit: 505
January 26, 2018, 02:42:37 PM
Sell, Hodl, Sell, Hodl....
The one say so the other so.

What du you think.
You think the coin in your portfolio will make his way? HODL
You don't now what do this coin? SELL

Now is not the time for invest in a black hole!
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
Santa Coin
January 26, 2018, 02:07:33 PM
Good points you make for not hodling during a dip and if any of those were the case I would sell as well. However this dip we are experiencing now I feel like it is almost over some alts are coming out of their holes and I am optimistic for the next week here.
January 26, 2018, 12:53:49 PM
I do agree with the points you pointed out. Whether to hold or sell during dip depends on the situation and the coin you are holding. If it's a shit coin that has been pumped and now being dumped, you should leave as the coin will die soon. Opportunity cost also comes into factor as pointed out by your second point. But how can you predict future dips as you said on your third point?

You can't.

I go with my gut, TA, news, etc.  Sometimes there are indicators that tell you that it is not the bottom YET.

It is exactly the same as buying coins (just the reverse direction).  Even if it pumped x2 x3, etc....if you believe it will keep increasing you buy.
copper member
Activity: 2968
Merit: 575
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
January 26, 2018, 12:51:03 PM
I do agree with the points you pointed out. Whether to hold or sell during dip depends on the situation and the coin you are holding. If it's a shit coin that has been pumped and now being dumped, you should leave as the coin will die soon. Opportunity cost also comes into factor as pointed out by your second point. But how can you predict future dips as you said on your third point?
Pages:
Jump to: