Pages:
Author

Topic: How can exchanges find out Bitfinex funds if "hacker" runs them throught mixers? - page 3. (Read 2231 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
But I think the deposited coins to the mixer going to be delivered to another mixer user later, at least it is the way most coin mixers work. So if you cannot recover these coins from coin mixer anymore, why not send them to some address, wait longer, and then you could use the coins as everybody expect the coins come from the mixer to somebody else?

This isn't how it works. If they just keep the coins and then spend them without mixing etcetera then they will be traceable. It's not a question of what people "expect." If they are mixed correctly and at a mixer who co-operates and doesn't sell them out, then no one will be able to follow where those coins end up. You can't just not be secure because "people won't expect it." I won't leave the front door to my house unlocked because people will expect it to be locked, do I? That's security through obscurity which is a poor ideal to follow.
legendary
Activity: 1457
Merit: 1001
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
But I think the deposited coins to the mixer going to be delivered to another mixer user later, at least it is the way most coin mixers work. So if you cannot recover these coins from coin mixer anymore, why not send them to some address, wait longer, and then you could use the coins as everybody expect the coins come from the mixer to somebody else? Or you believe if you use the coin mixer in the future and you end unlucky with these coins, you going to be investigated ?
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
I think that stolen BTC from Bitfinex is lost forever for them.The thief knew what he doing then and surely now will not make a rookie mistake to give them possibility to return funds.It's too late for anything else but to try to prevent things like this in the future.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
If you run through the mixers several times or with several mixers, it is not possible to find out the trace.
Activity: 490
Merit: 520
If a mixer receives coins that are from a known theft, as far as I know they remain neutral to the whole thing and limit themselves to do their job (mix the coins). There are certain sites like Helix that as far as I know are fully automatized, run on a onion tor website and deliver clean coins, after that I would say it's impossible to find, so he would proceed to sell in exchanges. Of course if he isn't a total idiot, he will not dump and will sell slowly so he doesn't get caught.

So in this situation... how can they find them? I wish they find them and people can recover funds but what if he runs coins through mixers?
If they get run through mixers, it does help to change up some of the ways you can trace the coins and it makes it considerably more difficult to determine which address holds the funds, but you could probably still find them if you really wanted to track the person down. You just have to spend a lot of time checking each address and seeing if any sync up to moves from the original wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
There aren't way to find them unless they make system which can detect tainted coin, secretly cooperate with mixer service or hack that mixer service and find any data that they can found.
Activity: 712
Merit: 500
Considering that he was able to obtain the coins that way, I highly doubt he fails on the exchanging process. The only thing that thieves may fail at is the last process: keep your coins stored without the ambition of exchanging them quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
If a mixer receives coins that are from a known theft, as far as I know they remain neutral to the whole thing and limit themselves to do their job (mix the coins). There are certain sites like Helix that as far as I know are fully automatized, run on a onion tor website and deliver clean coins, after that I would say it's impossible to find, so he would proceed to sell in exchanges. Of course if he isn't a total idiot, he will not dump and will sell slowly so he doesn't get caught.

So in this situation... how can they find them? I wish they find them and people can recover funds but what if he runs coins through mixers?
Pages:
Jump to: