Pages:
Author

Topic: How can we protect Newbies from getting scammed? - page 5. (Read 1538 times)

legendary
Activity: 2909
Merit: 1307
This is a quite well idea to protect (not only Newbies) from getting scammed.

A warming will be fine, maybe red in the PM Part.
But as we have a lot of warnings and technical tricks already and like in your example the scammers know also on this and find ways to avoid.
Moving to email/telegram etc..

The best will be we need to be faster than the scammers in helping Smiley

------

We need to create a police force, and then try to develop methods to recover stolen funds.

recover stolen funds will not possible as we did not manage the money for people..
Activity: 122
Merit: 20
Jet Cash's better half
We need to create a police force, and then try to develop methods to recover stolen funds.
Activity: 1035
Merit: 200
A warning PM for every few first posts they make?

Sounds good, but rather than a PM, the warning should be shown in the post writing area just like how we see warnings like for new posts that has been submitted while we were composing, etc. The warning could be like, "Beware of scammers. Don't blindly believe anyone since not every person is a genuine helper around." and some other precautions to prevent them from such scams.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
"theres a sucker born every minute"

There is only so much you can do to help, its just the world we live in.  People will always fall for scams.  Real world obviously is full of examples:

Herbalife scammed billions
Car dealerships scamming everyone
Bernie madoff was able to dupe intelligent and wealthy people

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Scenario
Someone has a problem with a wallet, comes to Bitcointalk, creates an account, asks a question, and gets a solution. Great! A happy new user for the forum, and another happy Bitcoin user, which adds to Bitcoin's popularity.

Reality (2 days ago)
Someone has a problem with a wallet, comes to Bitcointalk, creates an account, asks a question, gets "help" by PM from someone who asks him to enter some code into Electrum, enter his password (and I quote: "(NEVER share this password with anybody)"), and gets scammed out of $30,000.
Another clueless naive new user bites the dust, the forum loses a new user, and Bitcoin loses a potential user forever.

How can we prevent this? Wallets aren't always easy, not all Bitcoin users are tech savvy, scammers are smart and creative, and if we want Bitcoin(talk) to grow in the right direction, these things kinda just shouldn't happen at all. I know that's utopia, and we can't prevent all scams from happening, but we could do more than this, right?
What would work? Disable receiving PMs? If they can't PM, they'll post their email address so that doesn't help.
More warnings for new users? A warning PM for every few first posts they make?

I'm not sure if this topic is going to help, but I had to get it off my chest.
Pages:
Jump to: