Pages:
Author

Topic: How can we take Bitcoin Talk back into the Bitcoin community? - page 3. (Read 1608 times)

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756
Bobby Fischer was right
-snip-
In the end though, IMO many perceive forums like Bitcointalk as a relic of a bygone age. And unless all major social media platforms suddenly imploded, I don't think the situation is gonna change any time soon. However, if Bitcointalk upgraded it's software, supercharged it's attention towards effectively managing the community and put in effort into marketing itself, it might be able to regain it's position as the premier platform for crypto-related discussion for everyone.
Then it will stop being bitcointalk, at least for me.
There is this thing about relicts, they tend to gain value with time. I think it will happen here also.
Even in today times we can see how people react to old satoshis posts. Ton's of merits, threads are still active and links to his words are still being interchanged, discussed. This won't stop, you are right, its like fuel in perpetual motion machine.
I think bitcoin needs this place to stay a little archaic, out of time, mostly because it needs backstory. Some sort of a background.
In modern era conservative nature seems old-fashioned, pase even but nevertheless rock solid. Most stable constructions are built on bedrock, not sand and that's why this place is still alive, thriving in fact.
There also this; don't fix, what is not broken; rule, so in my mind this place is bitcoin Smiley the other side of the same coin, in some sense.
People just don't seem to realise this.

Is this because mainstream Bitcoin users and developers are not aware of the forum, or that they feel it is no longer relevant?
IMO normal people actually don't know about this place, because it became competitive due to sig.campaigns and in the interest of members is to keep it obscured. Devs... idk, they should at least be aware but remember the times when almost every new project was called a scam and hyena feeding of original idea?  Roll Eyes might be the reason, I guess.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4085
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
Thank you, Jet Cash for creating the topic.
The video in the OP is great, I have not watched all the video, but I will do watch all of it.
Your topic also raised a ideas in my mind. You will know what it is soon.
By the way, have a nice weekend, all bitcointalkers.
 Grin
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
I'm probably giving away my age by saying that I am quite comfortable with the current forum layout. Of course there could be some minor changes, but in the main it is holding up well.

I don't consider Theymos to be a despot, quite the reverse in fact. I think he could do with adopting a few of Trump's approaches. Not the hair, but draining the swamp, building a wall, and reducing the immigration of non-productive members would be a start.

For Bitcoin to survive, it does need a bit of protection, and this will have to come from an informed global population. In my opinion, mining is a possible vulnerability in the future. Whilst we have zero interest rates, and fractional reserve banking, it would be possible for the bankers to take control of mining by using public funds. The creation of hobby mining pools could be one way to help reduce this risk, but it requires many of the smaller users and investors in Bitcoin to learn and understand mining. There is no possibility of this in the current Bitcoin Talk environment.

Another potential for Bitcoin is the provision of rewards for content producers. Brave and Steemit are trying this. Where could one discuss this in relation to Bitcoin in the current forum?  The Lightning network is another important development for Bitcoin - should we have a Lightning board?
global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
Niche communities being spread out across the internet in their own little forums and chat rooms is rare sight nowadays. Ever since Facebook started gaining popularity around the mid 00s, internet communities, small and large, started congregating in these massive media platforms. The aforementioned Facebook, Twitter, Reddit (alongside some other ones I might've missed) have largely replaced regular niche oriented sites. Such is the nature of the internet turning mainstream.

However, even if we were to put aside the ever growing centralisation of social / public-driven media, Bitcointalk always drew in a specific type of crowd when it comes to it's regulars (with a few exceptions) - hardcore cryptocurrency supporters. Hence if you are just starting to get involved in crypto or are aiming to reach a more casual crowd, participating here really doesn't make sense.

In addition,  quite a few people outside the forum have a negative view towards how the forum is run, be it through first hand experience or through stuff they read about it online. The fact that the forum's running on an extremely outdated piece of software (both design-wise as well as functionality-wise) has definitely turned some people off. The general lack of manegerial attention (fostering the community through events, some level of basic marketing, actively working on solving pressing issues such as sig spam) is definitely turning away both new and old members alike. The forum is growing every day and theymos (and to some extent Cyrus) can only do so much without any professional help.

Some may dislike theymos himself. theymos' ban on BitcoinXT on /r/bitcoin (as well as his subsequent comments on the situation) have left some members on Reddit (and 4chan) perceiving theymos as a despot who censors dissenting opinion. While there's no concrete evidence, it's not a stretch to assume that some users have avoided participating in and promoting the forum due to this situation.

In the end though, IMO many perceive forums like Bitcointalk as a relic of a bygone age. And unless all major social media platforms suddenly imploded, I don't think the situation is gonna change any time soon. However, if Bitcointalk upgraded it's software, supercharged it's attention towards effectively managing the community and put in effort into marketing itself, it might be able to regain it's position as the premier platform for crypto-related discussion for everyone.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059
nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01
Maybe the right conclusion is: BT has reached its goal. What remains on the forum are the people who are interested in the more detailed, "specialized" parts of blockchain, trading and new projects. And of course the classic bounty hunters.

I think it's safe to say that everybody around the world who opens up a newspaper from time to time, has heard about Bitcoin right now. This is thanks to BT because this is where it all started.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Bitcoin Talk back to the Bitcoin community?
Very important:
Bitcoin talk and Bitcoin It is the belief of every strong member, in this discourse the community must be supported by meaningful goals and the Forum, Bitcointalk and Bitcoin have a special purpose, namely both in trade and community.
What is Bitcoin:
Bitcoin aims to be a revolutionary form in bringing Bitcointalk communities and cryptocurrency together.
Community goals:
brings together the bitcointalk and cryptocurrency communities in one place for example Forum. It contains unique characteristics and special objectives compared to other Forums out there without intrinsic value or real purpose.
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2472
https://JetCash.com
Bitcoin Talk was created by Satoshi Nakamoto ( and others ) to promote awareness of Bitcoin. It was extremely successful, and Bitcoin is now a major force in banking and the Internet. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that BT has grown with it, and many of the major names seem to have abandoned the forum, or have never joined. This was brought home to me when I watched this video -
Satoshi Nakamoto: The Mysterious Founder of Bitcoin

I found the video interesting, although it includes a number of items with which I would disagree. It includes a reference to Reddit, but no mention of Bitcoin Talk - the forum that started the Bitcoin revolution. Is this because mainstream Bitcoin users and developers are not aware of the forum, or that they feel it is no longer relevant?

I'd like to see Bitcoin Talk regain its position as a significant contributor to the growth and acceptance of Bitcoin. What can I/we do to achieve this?
Pages:
Jump to: