Pages:
Author

Topic: How do I use bitcoin if I have no internet? - page 2. (Read 3011 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250
If the internet goes down so does bitcoin though, am I right?

The internet is such a large network, it is impossible to take down now. The computers in the internet can work independently of each other, and on a local area we simply call them networks.  Also most of the economy would stop, many companies depend on the internet. The event of internet going down is very unlikely to happen.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028
wew i never imagine if this can happen someday  Shocked

As i know bitcoin is high risk market
why do i must hold it like i keep dollars...
So I can prevent this case with spend all of my BTC first before that happen,
Activity: 322
If I was an insanely big holder like the Winklevii I would get in contact with other insanely big holders and create an internet that's based on satelites and that cannot be put down by the powers that be. I think Kim Dotcom is already at this as we speak. If the "owners" of this new internet are positive for Bitcoin it means BTC will never go down.
legendary
Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050
i don't know about bitcoins , what if internet goes down , then half of our lives too  Sad

This is the real truth.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018
HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com
how long until internet is back up and running?  with no internet - the mining network would need to transition to another networking layer - otherwise you could sign transactions between parties- BUT NO transactions will be confirmed until the miners have a chance to see them and relay them into the next block

Hmm - does BTC act like its own forked blockchain and we have our own miners verifying millions of forks because they are disconnected and only see their own relayed transactions without internet?
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
Get a flash drive, and place your info on it. Then use a public library, which you can often access without a library card, off your drivers license.

Smiley
He is talking about the whole internet being down. The public library won't have internet either.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
Get a flash drive, and place your info on it. Then use a public library, which you can often access without a library card, off your drivers license.

Smiley
Activity: 420
Why don't we all invest in gold though? it's not as volatile and is always rising, always holds its value, has been around for thousands of years, has real value, can be used regardless of the internet/electricity situation and in crisis skyrockets in value. It is probably more rare than bitcoin, has been used as currency for millenia, no one can take your gold if you have a good safe, gold is tax free, I could go on for hours here!

no brainer?

Actually this guy is selling his 2million dollar gold mine for BTC it currently can make 1million a year revenue...

Even he said Gold is influenced by politics so with gold you are in the mercy of the big boys in black... He was a mature guy in his 60s id say and very well entrenched in the gold scene
Activity: 585
Why don't we all invest in gold though? it's not as volatile and is always rising, always holds its value, has been around for thousands of years, has real value, can be used regardless of the internet/electricity situation and in crisis skyrockets in value. It is probably more rare than bitcoin, has been used as currency for millenia, no one can take your gold if you have a good safe, gold is tax free, I could go on for hours here!

no brainer?

Have you seen the 3year gold chart?

http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/3year/ounces/GBP/

Also, you can't buy and sell gold with less than 1% charges between buying and selling like you can with bitcoin..  Bullionbypost.co.uk probably the best rates in UK are still close to 10% difference between buy/sell price.  If you sell your gold to the wrong place the fee can be like 25% less than spot price.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

no brainer?

It does change value, it does rise and it does fall. It's not as nearly as perfect as you described it, but in some tituations (like global blackout) it IS beter solution than BTC. Than again, BTC can bring you potentionaly MUCH larger gain than gold, so just as any other sane person diverse your wealth and you are good and will probably gain some as time passes with wery low risk (depends on how you spread it ofc).
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029
If "internet goes down" you will have much larger problems than Bitcoin...trust me...
So many very important financial and military stuff relies on Internet, that, if it ever goes down, you can expact shitstorm comming our way, that is so large, that you wont think of Bitcoin for quiet some time.
Activity: 177
Merit: 100
Now that's a can do attitude!

no brainer?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
If the internet goes down, bitcoin is the least of your worries. Email, news, global trades, global phone networks will cease, people would panic. Personal safety and food would be your priorities. Who would care about bitcoin?
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 1222
Just looking for peace
i don't know about bitcoins , what if internet goes down , then half of our lives too  Sad
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
what a problem ...

go to the church of your village.
deploy an antenna.
install a wifi router.
plug an old desktop with server activate.
plug an USB Bitcoin miner (333MH/s).
use an old blochchain and bitcoin client.

and you have bitcoin.  Grin customers must connect to wifi to pay with bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
If the internet goes down so does bitcoin though, am I right?
Well, Bitcoin would be temporarily on pause. Nothing gets lost, the network isn't destroyed, and bitcoins don't disappear into thin air or something.

The dollar and euro (which consists of >99% internet traffic nowadays) would go down as well, by the way. Do not think for a second that cash can compensate for this.

at the very least, bitcoin priced would crash big time if the internet went down. but how likely is that?
You're wrong sir, the euro and dollar are more dependent of internet than Bitcoin. If internet went down, euro and dollar prices would plummet, thus Bitcoin would go moonward.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Another point I'd like to make, government can regulate the internet through ISP's therefore can they not regulate bitcoin?
No.

1. No need at all to broadcast transactions from your own IP or ISP connection. Plenty of ways to do so through other hops, in other countries/jurisdisctions.
2. I doubt if there is a way to detect (and thus, block) Bitcoin traffic that can't easily be overcome by means of encryption, packet wrapping, etc.
3. Tor.
4. Besides internet, there are already alternative ways of running Bitcoin P2P traffic, like radio waves, SMS / texting, etc.
5. What do you mean by "regulate"? Other than just trying to block it (which won't work, see previous points) there isn't much they can do. It's not as if they could put arbitrary restrictions on Bitcoin transactions, like they can (and do) with bank transfers.
Activity: 472
Merit: 100
Gamblica Pre-Sale launch 01.03.2018!
you can send bitcoin thru morse code or HAM radio when internet goes down

I ran a 440 byte hex transcation through a morse code generator at 80 WPM (assuming digital decode) to see how long it took. 3 mins 20 secs. Don't think you want to morse it.

Morse code, your idea is great.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
you can send bitcoin thru morse code or HAM radio when internet goes down

I ran a 440 byte hex transcation through a morse code generator at 80 WPM (assuming digital decode) to see how long it took. 3 mins 20 secs. Don't think you want to morse it.
Pages:
Jump to: