Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we get Gary Johnson 5% of the popular vote? - page 2. (Read 3925 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
We're all intelligent, similarly minded individuals, many of who are fed up with how our politicians do not do the job we elected them to do.

Your premise is false.  Politicians are highly responsive to the electorate and do exactly what voters want.

Look up and down your street.  Estimate the number of people receiving direct or indirect funding from the government.  If you are honest and realistic, you'll notice that it's greater than 50%.

Your Libertarians will get more votes when they start offering more loot.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Persuading republicans in solidly democrat states and democrats in solidly republican states to vote libertarian is probably your best bet.

This should help... He's bound to agree with either side on some of the issues (not necessarily the same ones): http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
We're all intelligent, similarly minded individuals, many of who are fed up with how our politicians do not do the job we elected them to do. One politician shows some promise, at least well over that of Obama and Romney. So what can we do to get the Libertarian Party that 5% of the vote so we can change the voting dynamics at least a little bit come next election cycle?

I'm voting libertarian because I don't reside in a swing state, and my state will likely vote for Romney. I don't like Romney, and I don't like Obama, so why not cast my vote for a candidate that actually reflects my values and at least help them be better heard?

No. There is no way for [Ron Paul] to get 3% on write-ins alone for which he did not ask. Among his supporters: a few will write in his name, some are going to vote for Romney, some will not vote at all, most will vote for Gary Johnson. If Gary Johnson is serious about a 2016 run, HE NEEDS 5% of the popular vote this year.

I met Jim Gray, he said 5% is the goal because that will give them Federal matching funds and ballot access that would effectively establish the Libertarian Party as a serious contender for the forseeable future, even after Johnson. That is why they are working so hard on getting non-Libertarians to vote for him, because it could potentially end the two-party system or bring a major re-alignment era. That is why I am trying to convince the voters in my solidly democratic district in a solidly republican state to vote for Gary Johnson. It is not a "waste of a vote" if we can get above 5%.
Pages:
Jump to: