Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you create an altcoin? - page 3. (Read 21825 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s
April 21, 2013, 05:50:58 PM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

Very, very far from being enough  Roll Eyes
ditto
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
April 21, 2013, 06:31:35 AM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

Very, very far from being enough  Roll Eyes
It's the muffins that must be stopped.
April 21, 2013, 05:23:18 AM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

Activity: 714
Merit: 510
April 21, 2013, 01:19:53 AM
I'm bored, its the weekend. I was thinking of creating an altcoin for fun, I won't release it, it would just be cool to get it running and see how fast mining is. Hopefully its not to hard :3 If it is I have a VPS with nothing on it I could use for some sort of litecoin web script.

Thanks Cheesy
Apparently you just fork Bitcoin or Litecoin and change a few lines of code and call it Newcoin. Honestly I could even do it.
Activity: 235
Merit: 101
April 21, 2013, 12:29:39 AM
I started a thread similar to this one a year ago or so and I will be following this one, I would be interested in building a software product that automatically generates new coin systems based on the values you feed into the UI.
Activity: 84
Activity: 859
Merit: 1004
BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo
April 20, 2013, 11:30:52 PM
How is the guide comming? :3
Ditto
Activity: 631
Merit: 501
April 20, 2013, 11:16:38 PM
I bet that you have no idea about writing a code or even reviewing it , I love an open source programs and I wish if my company would invest into it , but I hate it when people like you start messing around it, you do not even know from where to start , and if you somehow create a coin... how will you support it in future , you know that you have to do some development after you create it, and what will you do if there will be a bug , you think that people will spend their money and time for some weekend project from some amateur ?

the only real coin for me is BTC or LTC and maybe NMC, all other coins are just a waste of time and money 

Lol... posts like this make me laugh!!

If this is true -- why are you even here?   
Your rant falls on deaf ears!
x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s
April 20, 2013, 10:08:10 PM
How is the guide comming? :3
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 20, 2013, 09:04:44 PM
I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error?
+1

It will only make GarrCoin (, ...) cooler to mine.  Cool

When's the launch?
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
April 20, 2013, 08:16:21 PM
I bet that you have no idea about writing a code or even reviewing it , I love an open source programs and I wish if my company would invest into it , but I hate it when people like you start messing around it, you do not even know from where to start , and if you somehow create a coin... how will you support it in future , you know that you have to do some development after you create it, and what will you do if there will be a bug , you think that people will spend their money and time for some weekend project from some amateur ?

the only real coin for me is BTC or LTC and maybe NMC, all other coins are just a waste of time and money 

One or two years ago you would have probably said BTC was the only coin for you, do I want my BTC to be undermined by loads of altcoins? No, but I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error? Regardless, even if their code is a buggy mess, all that means is people will not support their work and will stick with the best option available. For you their project is probably a waist of time, for them this could be the beginning of a successful future.

Yup.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
April 20, 2013, 05:38:34 PM

One or two years ago you would have probably said BTC was the only coin for you, do I want my BTC to be undermined by loads of altcoins? No, but I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error? Regardless, even if their code is a buggy mess, all that means is people will not support their work and will stick with the best option available. For you their project is probably a waist of time, for them this could be the beginning of a successful future.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
April 20, 2013, 04:00:04 PM
We're having fun. You don't have to be involved in any way. Go enjoy your stale ideas; we're all here for different reasons.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
April 20, 2013, 03:26:41 PM

Activity: 18
April 20, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
just saw this over here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1562398

Steps of becoming an altcoin operator:

1) Learn to use git/github and build bitcoin/altcoins
2) Manage at least 2 nodes on 2 computers/VM/VPS
3) Bootstrap your own network by changing pnSeed, running with dnsseed disabled, irc seed disabled, and change pchMessageStart
4) Learn to make genesis block and start up network.
5) Change default p2p port and rpc port.
6) Change address version (optional)
7) Remove checkpoints, generate master key(s).
8> Cosmetic changes.

Now you can start playing with various parameter changes. Of course doing any real work from here on would require more skills and understanding of the innerworkings of bitcoin. But if you are just content with a simple clone of bitcoin/altcoins then it's done.

Good luck!  Wink
April 19, 2013, 11:43:28 PM
I have to create a new Ubuntu VM for development... my general development environment is just jacked up!   Roll Eyes
Activity: 18
April 19, 2013, 11:19:55 PM
It would require changing 1 line of code

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley

Code:
sed -i "s/y >>=/y <<=/g" main.cpp
Reward doubles instead of halves.(for original bitcoin client from git)

Don't forget to irrigate your nasal passages.  Cool

Thanks!  Grin
::off to figure out what to do with it::
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
April 19, 2013, 11:05:03 PM
It seems possible they might not be strictly proper multicoin coins, as I am not sure where the message comes from they put on their status output saying what coin they are. I am not sure if that is something multicoin does of if they actually hacked the code of multicoin, for example to add that message.

Multicoin was intended that you would use the exact same binary program to run all the various coins, but maybe these two aren't really like that, it'd be interesting to compare their code to the actual multicoin and to each other...

Best of all though will be to recreate them using latest bitcoin code.

-MarkM-
April 19, 2013, 10:57:36 PM
Cloned the source... working with it now  Grin
April 19, 2013, 10:51:20 PM
Tenebrix and GeistGeld are both currently implemented using Multicoin, so you should now be able to get both of those running, and since both are low difficulty you can set them both up chugging away in background earning you coins!

-MarkM-

I'll track down the code for Tenebrix and have a look.
It would be neat to get it up and running!
Pages:
Jump to: