Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you create an altcoin? - page 4. (Read 21825 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
April 19, 2013, 10:48:39 PM
Tenebrix and GeistGeld are both currently implemented using Multicoin, so you should now be able to get both of those running, and since both are low difficulty you can set them both up chugging away in background earning you coins!

-MarkM-
Activity: 631
Merit: 501
April 19, 2013, 10:43:10 PM
Irritated by the army of negativity that hit on pages 9-11.  Tweaking parameters of a working program IS the first step in learning.  It's not the same as walking into a blank hello-world project...  there's a lot of existing work on this already.  Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel, and it takes time to catch up.

So where are we right now?

It sounds like you've successfully tweaked your parameters.
Genesis block creation was successful, and imported successfully.
Compiled and Mined?

Waiting for Garr255 to post his guide?  If so, I don't think the first copy needs to be super-polished.  He can proofread and revise it after people ask questions.

I for one am not irritated by the comments... but you learn, over time, that comments like this serve to inspire a deeper understanding.
For example, I thought 'tweaking' the code was neat... but it didn't stop there.  I wanted to know why.

I have successfully compiled MultiCoin, created a genesis block, setup a mini testnet and mined my first block.
This is fun... but  now I want to know why it worked.

So, I spend time investigating the code base, following functions, watching the program unfold itself.
Eventually, I would one day like to come back with an idea -- one that makes this code base 'different'.

However, I cannot do that until I understand the whys.
People saying I can't play in their pool only make me want to learn even harder how things work   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
April 19, 2013, 08:58:58 PM
More people familiar with varying the code and variants of the code is good, as it seems like there will regularly be need to update all the many altcoins so the more people capable of doing so maybe the more likely it is to happen.

Two that really need updating badly are Tenebrix and GeistGeld, they might even be old enough that they might crap out on file size of the blockchain on 32 bit Windows systems maybe or something silly like that.

They are interestingly different from each other too since Tenebrix is scrypt without merged mining whereas GeistGeld is SHA256 with merged mining. So bringing both of those up to date would be a really great learning-project for someone and meanwhile of course both are also so ridiculously low difficulty you could be mining them both all along with CPUs and rake in tons of both while you learn. Unlike starting a new coin you don't tend to get jumped on by all the big miners with these old coins, so you can go months on end peacefully mining them with CPUs.

Compare that with the way difficulty skyrockets on new coins lately and you'll see those new coins won't likely be useful for spreading the coins around newbies for maybe months or years, whereas these old coins have been serving newbies well for what, a year or more now and still nice low difficulty...

-MarkM-
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
April 19, 2013, 08:53:24 PM
Irritated by the army of negativity that hit on pages 9-11.  Tweaking parameters of a working program IS the first step in learning.  It's not the same as walking into a blank hello-world project...  there's a lot of existing work on this already.  Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel, and it takes time to catch up.

So where are we right now?

It sounds like you've successfully tweaked your parameters.
Genesis block creation was successful, and imported successfully.
Compiled and Mined?

Waiting for Garr255 to post his guide?  If so, I don't think the first copy needs to be super-polished.  He can proofread and revise it after people ask questions.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
It's the muffins that must be stopped.
April 19, 2013, 02:55:35 PM
Wouldn't it be better to look at the code?

In the current bitcoin source look at the function GetBlockValue
Sed works.. but doesn't help understand what/why you are changing.

Yes I know. That is what I meant to say "in code".  Grin

Lol!  I hear you.
I have been spending my time immersed in the bitcoin code... fascinating and ingenious stuff!

Sure thing! I've swum in code quite heavily couple of years ago. Not so much lately..
Hellofa lot better time-burner than 'facebooking'!  Cool
April 19, 2013, 02:17:37 PM

Lol!  I hear you.
I have been spending my time immersed in the bitcoin code... fascinating and ingenious stuff!

April 19, 2013, 02:06:32 PM

April 19, 2013, 02:01:06 PM

April 19, 2013, 01:19:17 PM
It would require changing 1 line of code

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley

Code:
sed -i "s/y >>=/y <<=/g" main.cpp
Reward doubles instead of halves.(for original bitcoin client from git)

Don't forget to irrigate your nasal passages.  Cool
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
April 19, 2013, 12:40:01 PM

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
April 19, 2013, 03:03:32 AM
x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s
April 19, 2013, 02:47:38 AM
Just finished reading the whole forum... Eagerly awaiting the guide. Thanks for doing this!

A question...
Is it mandatory that the number of coins a block releases halves? Could it instead double? Or perhaps... fibonacci?
 Huh

Thanks.  Grin
I suppose you could but it would require some programming.
Activity: 18
April 19, 2013, 01:51:17 AM
Just finished reading the whole forum... Eagerly awaiting the guide. Thanks for doing this!

A question...
Is it mandatory that the number of coins a block releases halves? Could it instead double? Or perhaps... fibonacci?
 Huh

Thanks.  Grin
April 18, 2013, 10:48:21 PM
Would it be possible to prevent the block rewards from going to the one who found the block, but to 25 randomly selected IPs connected to the network.  Doing so would pervent the creation of large centralized mining pools.  Would it protect the network?

Problem would be people would not have an incentive to mine. Sad
This is true
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
April 18, 2013, 10:35:03 PM
Would it be possible to prevent the block rewards from going to the one who found the block, but to 25 randomly selected IPs connected to the network.  Doing so would pervent the creation of large centralized mining pools.  Would it protect the network?

Problem would be people would not have an incentive to mine. Sad
Activity: 717
April 18, 2013, 10:34:14 PM
Activity: 12
April 18, 2013, 06:53:19 AM
I just need to figure out how to compile the QT client, then clean up the guide!

Look at: http://qt-project.org/downloads for tools to build the client.

-BlueWall
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
April 18, 2013, 01:14:59 AM
I just need to figure out how to compile the QT client, then clean up the guide!
April 18, 2013, 12:10:41 AM
What's the status on everyone's development, its been awhile since I have heard anything Cheesy
Activity: 12
April 17, 2013, 01:10:00 PM
Have you looked at multicoin?

It moves most of the things that are different between different coins all into the config file so you can use the same program to run different chains by changing the config file.

By backtracking from the config stuff you can find what things needed to be changed from one coin to another.

Also I think he had code to print into the log the data you need to plug back into the config file to make a new genesis block work.

-MarkM-

Thanks,

The code needed a little updating to get it to build but it's running here now. Nice tool for exploring.

-BlueWall
Pages:
Jump to: