Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you make friends after college? - page 2. (Read 1108 times)

Activity: 382
Merit: 256
January 22, 2014, 02:46:42 PM
I graduated last year and started working in California. A lot of my co-workers are in their early 30's or early 40's. Most have kids and the ones who don't do not entertain the aspect of socializing outside of work. In university, I lived in the dorms and could stop by at any room and start mingling. Naturally I made friends that way throughout the 2 years I was in the dorms.

At school there were clubs where I could find others with the same interests and make friends that way. After leaving all this behind, I'm a bit lost as to how people make friends post university. I think it gets exponentially harder to make friends as you age. When you're a little kid, anyone can be your friend but as an adult you have all these other filters you think about when trying to make an informed decision about friendship.

How about joining a local gym, and meeting people there?  I moved to a new town recently, and after joining a gym, I met people who I now train with, and see regularly and also go out now and again with them.  Most people in my gym are friendly, you just need to be proactive and say hi and start a conversation, some people will reciprocate, and some won't, you just need to take chance.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
January 22, 2014, 02:43:36 PM
I absolutely suck at making friends. I'm really bad at pretending and hate most people. So I guess we are in the same boat. I'm still learning how to fake interest in other people and everything. I'm reading the book 'How to make friends and influence people', which is packed with obvious things that I need to hear again and again. Another thing that really hurts meeting new people is the fact that I have a girlfriend. So - if you go somewhere, always go alone.

It's really difficult to make friends usually, because I feel most guys are just interested in girls. And most girls think that you hit on them and don't respond. Haha. Most of my friends are female, because making male friends seems to be almost impossible for me.

Saw a presentation once by a designer who said 'give your business card to 3 people per day'. And he really follows that.

You should probably go to meetups on meetups.com or a similar site. There are many groups you can join - kind of like a university club. There are even three different Bitcoin meetup.com groups in my city. Really is something for every taste. If you are not from a major city I guess it's pretty hard. Just go to events that interest you and introduce yourself.
Activity: 661
Merit: 108
January 22, 2014, 02:24:56 PM
I graduated last year and started working in California. A lot of my co-workers are in their early 30's or early 40's. Most have kids and the ones who don't do not entertain the aspect of socializing outside of work. In university, I lived in the dorms and could stop by at any room and start mingling. Naturally I made friends that way throughout the 2 years I was in the dorms.

At school there were clubs where I could find others with the same interests and make friends that way. After leaving all this behind, I'm a bit lost as to how people make friends post university. I think it gets exponentially harder to make friends as you age. When you're a little kid, anyone can be your friend but as an adult you have all these other filters you think about when trying to make an informed decision about friendship.
Pages:
Jump to: