Pages:
Author

Topic: How ethical is it? - page 2. (Read 351 times)

Activity: 162
Merit: 24
May 02, 2018, 08:16:58 AM
Man, this is an old post and it is not relevant right now, but I guess there are discontinued coins and it might be relevant to other people.
So, let's hear the name of the coins that are discontinued but you can still find a buyer for them.

I think this list will be very long.
Many coins out there were forsaken by their devs or just declared "finished".
After all some altcoin devs just jump from coin to coin for money.
Activity: 490
Merit: 110
May 02, 2018, 07:41:59 AM
Man, this is an old post and it is not relevant right now, but I guess there are discontinued coins and it might be relevant to other people.
So, let's hear the name of the coins that are discontinued but you can still find a buyer for them.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
May 02, 2018, 05:14:06 AM
To my mind, this is not enthical but this is such a question that every person should decide for himself how to act. If you think that you can do like this, then do. Trading is such a thing that everyone thinks about himself more
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024
May 02, 2018, 04:20:54 AM
This was a long time ago and honestly I do not remember what I did. But I remember it was on a decentralized exchange and you would just put the coins to be sold, no talking.
Since it is a market and someone is falling for it to buy it, then it is just dead coins switching hands and someone else could have stupidly transacted a dead coin. It is a free world, an open market and everyone is auctioning what they have and I see nothing unethical there.

Anyone who is buying a coin and decided not to do some research before doing so, obviously should have themselves to blame. As long as you are not deceiving or imposing anything on anyone, I do not see anything bad there.
Activity: 70
Merit: 0
May 01, 2018, 03:11:48 PM
You can sell your coins if someone wants to buy them. And you will sell at the price that you offer the buyer.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
May 01, 2018, 03:00:58 PM
So, I have some bitcoinred (btcred). I received the new revolution or whatever coins. I am now trying to decide if I should sell my old btcred coins. They 0.20 USD a pop.
I do not want to sell something that if the buyer does not know that they are not valid anymore. On the other hand, you can never be sure. Maybe they wanna buy it anyway.
Any help on the ethical implications of selling an ended coin?

I would say its very unethical that your selling a discontinued coin.  However, it is being actively being traded on an exchange, and people are placing buy orders for 0.20 USD like you said then it would be ok to sell it on the exchange.  But from the looks of it seems like you would be making a deal with someone which would be unethical in my opinion. 
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054
May 01, 2018, 02:37:15 PM
What do you mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I think he misunderstood - or didn't read your post at all.

From my perspective it is unethical. At some point, it is analogous to "tricking" someone to buy something that doesn't have any value in the future so it won't be profitable for them. This is not a trade, as somebody, in the end, won't get any benefits. Even if there is a possibility that they do want to buy it, there's also a possibility that they don't know the coin is dead, or they will use the coins bought from you to scam others by thinking that this coins still has some value (or simply doing a pump and dump).

I believe it is better for you to not sell it after all. Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).
As long as you are even doing something at the detriment of the other person for your own gain, that is a scam !
That is more like stealing from someone just to pretend to them that what you are selling to them is the real thing, whereas, it is fake.

The first thing the OP should have asked himself is how would he feel if someone actually ended up doing that to him ? Probably he should start from there and the answer he ends up giving to himself will be the answer to his own question on whether what he asked is unethical or not.

However, if this is done on a normal trade market where you have placed a sell order or someone dropped a buy order for it, then I am not sure how ethics come in. You are just simply trading anyway !
Activity: 322
Merit: 101
April 27, 2018, 05:58:21 AM
I think you can warn people who would buy them from you, that they are already done, and if they anyway would like to buy, you are clean.

How do you want to warn People? You can never avoid having sh coins on an Exchange. I guess if it is still a valid coin and still offered on any Exchange, than it is the buyers decision to invest in such a coin.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
April 27, 2018, 05:44:51 AM
I think you can warn people who would buy them from you, that they are already done, and if they anyway would like to buy, you are clean.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 306
April 27, 2018, 05:35:33 AM
Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).
Agree with this.  However, I would also say that if you made sure the buyer understood what he was doing, by way of informing him (or verifying that he knows) that the coin is dead, OP would be covering his ass, ethically.  I don't know anything about this particular altcoin but it sounds like one that you'd probably want to unload if you can find a buyer for it.  You're probably not going to get many chances to sell it.  Jump at this if you can but it would be wrong to dump a dead coin on someone if they didn't know that's what it was.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics
April 27, 2018, 05:10:14 AM
If you find someone well aware of the current situation and who is still ready to buy your coins, I don't see the problem
Otherwise, it is not ethical at all. It's a kind of scam for me.  And I think you know it as you ask the question
April 27, 2018, 05:01:24 AM
I do not remember if I sold it or not, but sometimes old coins are revived, so there might be a reason that person is buying.
Activity: 249
Merit: 100
April 26, 2018, 08:26:24 PM
personally i wouldn't do it , because i couldn't stomach doing that to someone. but if someone does it i can understand it a little bit , because it is also on the person buying to do some decent research. so in my opinion if you can live with yourself go ahead , no judgement.
Activity: 322
April 26, 2018, 08:22:00 PM
this one is tough and in my opinion this is the hardest part about cryptocurrencies. how I think about it is like this: if you are selling sh*t and the buyer knows it's sh*t is it wrong ?? we all have the same information about any cryptocurrency that is available to everyone so what is the harm ??
Activity: 1232
Merit: 738
Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com
April 26, 2018, 07:15:05 PM
This was a long time ago and honestly I do not remember what I did. But I remember it was on a decentralized exchange and you would just put the coins to be sold, no talking.
if it's on DEX, ethical or not isn't the issue here. It's the buyer's due diligence before buying the coin
by looking at the volume trades and simple google search on the coin's name,
he can find out the necessary information about the coin and make his own investment decision (buying the coin or not)
Activity: 966
Merit: 501
April 26, 2018, 04:58:55 PM
So, I have some bitcoinred (btcred). I received the new revolution or whatever coins. I am now trying to decide if I should sell my old btcred coins. They 0.20 USD a pop.
I do not want to sell something that if the buyer does not know that they are not valid anymore. On the other hand, you can never be sure. Maybe they wanna buy it anyway.

I think the coins you hold do not have any potential ,, maybe it would be better if you sell what you hold from now ,, before the price becomes more beautiful and if that happens, you will not get any ...
look for potential that can make the movement to be more specific
Activity: 303
April 26, 2018, 04:54:23 PM

From my perspective it is unethical. At some point, it is analogous to "tricking" someone to buy something that doesn't have any value in the future so it won't be profitable for them. This is not a trade, as somebody, in the end, won't get any benefits. Even if there is a possibility that they do want to buy it, there's also a possibility that they don't know the coin is dead, or they will use the coins bought from you to scam others by thinking that this coins still has some value (or simply doing a pump and dump).

I believe it is better for you to not sell it after all. Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).
You would already turn out to be a swindler.Well put the situation that you did able to sell out those coins but sooner or later that buyer will surely sue you that the coins is worthless and would request to reverse transactions and give him his money back. High chances for that situation to happen would be there. If you tell him on the first place that the token is useless but he still tend to buy it then its his choice and your conscience wont bother you anymore.
How is this any different from ICOs that make promises and don't deliver? Sure it isn't 100% ethical but at the same time if the other party in this transaction wants to buy a dead coin, that is THEIR FAULT! Not yours. Pretty ruthless way of thinking about it, but they won't learn if you do them a solid. They will learn when they buy a useless broken coin and then next time vow to never do that again, and vow to research. Don't aid people who don't do research, it simply isn't fair to the rest of us who do.
Activity: 2226
Merit: 347
April 26, 2018, 02:39:54 PM

You would already turn out to be a swindler.Well put the situation that you did able to sell out those coins but sooner or later that buyer will surely sue you that the coins is worthless and would request to reverse transactions and give him his money back. High chances for that situation to happen would be there. If you tell him on the first place that the token is useless but he still tend to buy it then its his choice and your conscience wont bother you anymore.
Activity: 392
Merit: 66
April 26, 2018, 02:36:24 PM
If you use an exchange it is an open market. Everybody has the right to buy and sell. Everybody has to do their due diligence and estimate the value of the coin they are buying. If you trade with a friend it is definitely unethical.
April 26, 2018, 02:28:11 PM
Pages:
Jump to: