Pages:
Author

Topic: How high a of a market cap would bitcoin need to have to be 'stable'? - page 3. (Read 6187 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 260
Or at least different market caps for different levels of stability.

What is your estimate for +-1% variation and +-3% variation. Or what do you think is the most realistic +-% range that we'll see?

Gold is what, 9 trillion? And it's still often volatile. I'm guessing this is purely due to speculation.

Do you consider gold stable?

Not really. But it's a lot more stable than bitcoin and and if bitcoin were ever to become as volatile as gold I would consider that a big step forward.
Gold is still more stable then a lot of 3rd world currencies. Over the long term bitcoin could potentially supplement currencies in the "3rd world" allowing it to reach it's true potential 
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Well when you consider it from a small percentage movement instead of a cash value then one can consider it more or less stable.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
Given how mining work for bitcoin, I do not think the price will stable.

It has to keep going up so miners can have "profit" in either profit or transaction fee.

Well, it can still go up and be relatively stable as well.

Generally speaking if something is rising in price at a rapid rate it will not be considered stable.
Activity: 266

What is your estimate for +-1% variation and +-3% variation. Or what do you think is the most realistic +-% range that we'll see?

Gold is what, 9 trillion? And it's still often volatile. I'm guessing this is purely due to speculation.

Gold is a commodity and commodity's do not generally have stable prices, that is why there are futures markets for commoditys - so buyers and sellers can hedge their prices 
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
amarha

Not really. But it's a lot more stable than bitcoin and and if bitcoin were ever to become as volatile as gold I would consider that a big step forward.
Would it take governments deciding to hold bitcoin in their reserves for bitcoin's market cap to reach these heights or not? Or is private capital sufficient to get bitcoin to the 100 billion, 500 billion or 2 trillion dollar market caps mentioned?

When some country buys another currency for reserves, yes that strengthens the foreign currency.

The only reason to have reserves, is to manipulate (also called stabilize) a local fiat currency. If the fiat currency in question were allowed to float, reserves would not be necessary.
If a country has a trade surplus and nothing to spend the excess currency that is pouring into the country then it will have foreign currency reserves.

That is not enough, the foreign money has to somehow get into the pockets of the government.
Most governments charge some kind of tariff when goods are imported, these can be paid for with foreign currency. Governments also often have some kind of ownership stake in various industries. 
Activity: 378
Merit: 255

legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074
Bitcoin price was relatively stable during 2012, because of high supply and concentrated trading at MtGox.
Now with lower supply (and more hoarding) and market fragmentation, it's much easier to pump bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
amarha

It has to keep going up so miners can have "profit" in either profit or transaction fee.

Well, it can still go up and be relatively stable as well.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
Would it take governments deciding to hold bitcoin in their reserves for bitcoin's market cap to reach these heights or not? Or is private capital sufficient to get bitcoin to the 100 billion, 500 billion or 2 trillion dollar market caps mentioned?

When some country buys another currency for reserves, yes that strengthens the foreign currency.

The only reason to have reserves, is to manipulate (also called stabilize) a local fiat currency. If the fiat currency in question were allowed to float, reserves would not be necessary.
If a country has a trade surplus and nothing to spend the excess currency that is pouring into the country then it will have foreign currency reserves.

That is not enough, the foreign money has to somehow get into the pockets of the government.

Activity: 406

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

I'm not sure if market cap is the only relevant factor for price stability. I think equally or even more important is the main use of bitcoin.

I'd argue that the more bitcoin is used for transactions the less volatile it will be. If bitcoin is primarily seen as a commodity it will have higher volatility than if it's primarily used as a transactional currency. With market capitalization in the trillions and primarily commodity properties it will have gold-like volatility which is still substantial but would not impede usability either.

This is 100% correct. It is not so much market cap that affects stability but total transaction volume, both measured by goods/services to bitcoin and by exchange volume.
Once TX volume picks up (from TX of actual trades involving goods/services) then the price of bitcoin should stabilize.
I would say the opposite. I would say that once the price stabilizes then trade volume would increase as people will be less susceptible to losing money between the time they acquire the bitcoin and the time they spend the bitcoin
When you have more trades, you will have more people buying/selling bitcoin (and higher volume), when you have more volume of bitcoin being traded it will take more money to move the price then when volume is lower
Activity: 406
I'm not sure if market cap is the only relevant factor for price stability. I think equally or even more important is the main use of bitcoin.

I'd argue that the more bitcoin is used for transactions the less volatile it will be. If bitcoin is primarily seen as a commodity it will have higher volatility than if it's primarily used as a transactional currency. With market capitalization in the trillions and primarily commodity properties it will have gold-like volatility which is still substantial but would not impede usability either.

This is 100% correct. It is not so much market cap that affects stability but total transaction volume, both measured by goods/services to bitcoin and by exchange volume.
Once TX volume picks up (from TX of actual trades involving goods/services) then the price of bitcoin should stabilize.
I would say the opposite. I would say that once the price stabilizes then trade volume would increase as people will be less susceptible to losing money between the time they acquire the bitcoin and the time they spend the bitcoin
Activity: 266
Even gold with its huge market cap is still relatively volatile. Bitcoin will always be relatively volatile as long as it isn't used as a widespread unit of account.

Is it really gold that is volatile being priced in fiat or fiat being volatile when priced in gold?

No, even priced in other commodities, Gold is still volatile (especially on a monthly or yearly basis).
It doesn't matter in what currency or unit of measure something is priced in. If something is volatile it will be in every measure
Activity: 1092
Merit: 500
Life is short, practice empathy in your life
Even gold with its huge market cap is still relatively volatile. Bitcoin will always be relatively volatile as long as it isn't used as a widespread unit of account.

Is it really gold that is volatile being priced in fiat or fiat being volatile when priced in gold?

No, even priced in other commodities, Gold is still volatile (especially on a monthly or yearly basis).
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
★☆★Bitin.io★☆★
When it is back by goods and services it will stabilize. One thing that would help would be to decouple it from the dollar, yen, etc. We need so many satoshi or bits compared to a basket of goods and services to get a true value. As acceptance increases this will come.

Pages:
Jump to: