Pages:
Author

Topic: How long does the Bitcoin-QT cleint take to sync for newbies? - page 2. (Read 16083 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

Blockchain downloading rate is lowered artificially to force newcomers to use centralized online services controlled by Illuminati Bitcoin Foundation someone. When most of bitcoiners start using such services, their owners will switch to FRB.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Depends on a lot of things— the software is fairly sensitive to slow or unreliable behavior from its peers. With super fast peers on a fast connection and a fast host you can sync in a couple hours.   With lossy peers, a slow host, a slow connection and some bad luck it can take several days.  There should be some major improvements in the next major release which make the worst case much more like the best case— basically from fetching blocks in parallel and not letting slow peers wedge the process.

Online wallets are very popular, a fact which concerns me greatly as they present a huge systemic risk— but the usability is hard to argue with.  There are also thin client like electrum which have a stronger security model than online wallets and are basically as easy to use.

That was the thought I had in mind, the idea of new users just going for the convenient (less secure) option is probably not the best idea. It is good to hear that the client can be optimized further, at the moment I would have trouble convincing a non-Bitcoin user to bother downloading the QT Client, perhaps Electrum then would be a good recommendation, until QT and Armory is setup. Cheesy
Activity: 350
I downloaded it and waited a couple of weeks before I gave up.
The last blocks were much longer that the old ones, I don't know why.

But if you have a good connexion, it should take 1 or 2 days.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Depends on a lot of things— the software is fairly sensitive to slow or unreliable behavior from its peers. With super fast peers on a fast connection and a fast host you can sync in a couple hours.   With lossy peers, a slow host, a slow connection and some bad luck it can take several days.  There should be some major improvements in the next major release which make the worst case much more like the best case— basically from fetching blocks in parallel and not letting slow peers wedge the process.

Online wallets are very popular, a fact which concerns me greatly as they present a huge systemic risk— but the usability is hard to argue with.  There are also thin client like electrum which have a stronger security model than online wallets and are basically as easy to use.
Activity: 406
I was wondering how long the standard Bitcoin-QT client takes to sync roughly? Lets say on a 3mb connection which is about average in global terms, if running 24/7 how long do you think it would take the user to fully sync? I am curious as I have not fired up the client in a few days and the syncing is taking ages. I wonder how long the Bitcoin-QT client must take for newbies, back when I first downloaded the client it take a few days and this was a while back. Considering most people now days don't like waiting am I right to assume that online wallets are more popular for Bitcoin users just starting out too?
Pages:
Jump to: