Pages:
Author

Topic: How long till BitCoins become outlawed? - page 2. (Read 2633 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Outlawed or not... how would they stop it from being used...
Activity: 6
I doubt that would happen - although they can make life difficult for us, what was that site that accepted paypal that got shutdown recently?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
I hear the govt is going to ban Bitcoins right after they shut down ThePirateBay.
Heh, exactly.
Activity: 17
I hope it is never outlawed. It is nice being left alone by any Bitcoin specific laws.
Activity: 56
I don't live in a world of make-believe either.

I do however live in the real world.
Many things were said to be "impossible in the US" - until one day they happened.

Those things happen to "citizens" and "residents".
I don't live in the land of make believe.
There is no state and there are no citizens.

A body politic can neither make nor take homage
ex fide non ficta
Activity: 56
Many things were said to be "impossible in the US" - until one day they happened.
Activity: 4
They could ban all legal business in the US (or other countries that decide to crack down on bitcoins) from accepting them. Without non-blackmarket or completely private real world uses in that country, bitcoins would loose a lot of their potential and appeal.
Bitcoin can never be outlawed in the US.

They can refuse to enforce bitcoin contracts in their court's but that is it.

Bitcoin would have to be inherently unlawful, which of course it isn't.

Activity: 19
I don't think it could be made illegal in the UK.

Well if it did the law would also apply to the Brixton Pound and many other regional currencies in the UK.
Activity: 16
I don't think it's possible for them to take out Bitcoin fully, and people have invested a lot of money in Bitcoin, I think it would just be too controversial for them to shut it down. It's not like it's causing anyone harm [yet].
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
I hear the govt is going to ban Bitcoins right after they shut down ThePirateBay.
Activity: 455
Merit: 250
You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin
My opinion:

Before they can outlaw BitCoin in supposedly a free country like USSA, the Main Stream Media will need to mold a decent portion of public opinion to be in favor of its destruction. I don't think it will be easy for them to make it illegal, but you'll know they are pushing for it when there are big stories on national TV demonizing the currency.

I believe they are still banking that it will fail on its own or it will never achieve the potential that many of us see in it.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
Indeed, a networkprotocol cant seriously be banned (in the way that it doesnt exist any more afterwards). But even if its illegal and perfectly useable, it will deter 99% of all possible users and all legal merchants. Without that as a backup, it would even get uninteresting for blackmarket use. So, ban the trading (which is somewhat easy to do), bring the BTC system to a halt.

That said, I highly doubt it will ever get banned in european countries. Which might be enough for a stable system..

On a sidenote: In Germany they try to pass a law to outlaw any anonymous purchase of money, currency, vouchers, no matter how small the amount..

Ente
Activity: 126
If they can't raise taxes at the points of sales/services, that is where the real problem is to any government. In some ways it is like a cash in hand business, but on the bright side for taxmen/IRS it is traceable in ways that cash is not.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
To be honest I don't think they will ever be outlawed, either that or all other virtual and in-game currencies need to be disallowed too... it's just not practical. There needs to be some form of cash in the digital age and cryptocurrency is the way to do it.
Activity: 126
got a VPN provider?
Activity: 11
They can try and ban it, but it wont work.

That said, they could try to kill the markets... and other things without directly affecting bitcoin itself.

It'll probably become a black market though because they pop up everywhere.
Activity: 11
I would like to agree with what others have said already. Trying to ban bit-coins will only attract more adopters.
And besides, if they do try and ban it, it's just gonna result in something similar to what is happening with torrents.
Shut one site down, 10 more will pop up.
And there are too many people using these for them to go after everyone, so they will most likely just make "examples" out of the biggest users.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
July 28, 2011, 12:28:08 AM
There was a ruling by FinCEN recently that is likely to be interesting to Bitcoiners:
 - http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30152.0

Also, this issue isn't specific to Bitcoin.  Facebook is getting closer to letting users redeem Facebook Credits for real-world goods and services.  Here's an interesting article that is related to this discussion:
 - http://seekingalpha.com/article/281501-i-want-my-virtual-currency
Pages:
Jump to: