Pages:
Author

Topic: How long till BitCoins become outlawed? - page 3. (Read 2633 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
July 27, 2011, 08:04:51 PM
The easiest method of attack would be shutting down the exchange of bitcoins with fiat currency.

Taking out the large exchanges would make finding the price of bitcoins at any given time more difficult.

It would be near impossible, however, to stop local bitcoin trading.

Price befuddlement in addition to illegality would prevent adoption by any meaningful scale of retailers (legitimate ones anyway).

So, worst case scenario is a very distributed network of exchangers and merchants. Not too bad, but more difficult certainly.
Activity: 10
Merit: 1
July 27, 2011, 07:40:30 PM
It will be interesting to see how they try to do it. ISPs block certain ports? If you get caught with them on your harddrive, you face criminal charges? What form would that take?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
July 27, 2011, 07:08:58 PM
Actually I think some of the politicians might consider using this tool to attack the traditional banking system, which government have no control at all today.

Lincon was murdered just because he did not take loans from those bankers to support the war.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
July 27, 2011, 04:14:09 PM
The more people try and get rid of it the larger it will get, especially with all the anti-gov't sentiment these days

Anyplace they get banned will drive business elsewhere.  I'm not sure this can be stopped.

Activity: 8
July 27, 2011, 04:01:01 PM
The more people try and get rid of it the larger it will get, especially with all the anti-gov't sentiment these days

Good point, when they start going after it, people will take an interest to it and maybe pick it up (kinda like k2, synthetic coke, etc.).
Activity: 1008
Merit: 250
July 27, 2011, 03:39:26 PM
Activity: 32
July 27, 2011, 03:36:57 PM
I would think it would be as successful as trying to ban Euros or any other type of foreign currency. Maybe I'm being naive here but I don't see bitcoin as any different than any other currency except that its decentralized.
Activity: 8
July 27, 2011, 03:13:20 PM
I was wondering what was your personal opinion on how long till bitcoins become outlawed? I read that a few governmental officials are trying to ban them do to being anonymous and being a competing currency with the USD.
Pages:
Jump to: