Pages:
Author

Topic: How many Alts do you expect to survive long term? - page 5. (Read 3883 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
I think we're gonna be surprised how many stick around. I really didn't think most of the stuff that went crazy in 2013 would still be here but it is. the speculative fringe is never ever going away now so I think they'll survive on the margins and keep feeding themselves bullshit pumps.
Activity: 379
Merit: 250
Ethereum is for sure the one is is unsinkable. Given all what it resisted to, I see no doom for them, ever.
Activity: 994
Merit: 513
Let's assume, that in ten to twenty years, blockchain is a word everybody knows like everybody knows the word internet.

Ok, if 'blockchain' becomes that ubiquitous then, like the internet, we'll have more and more alts functioning regionally like ISP's and filling their own niches.

So in my estimation: MOON OR BUST!!

Hmm, I doubt that. Unless, we will see something that is not that common at the moment but might be in the future: Throwaway blockchains, i.e. blockchains that are used for a short period of time for a very narrow purpose and are discarded or archived afterwards.
I'd expect them to be associated to a "motherblockchain", though, so I wouldn't really count them. I wouldn't count things like Iconomi, Blocksafe, SingularDTV and other tokens issued on an already existing blockchain either, for that matter. I expect to see tons of those, but I think there are going to be only a few "motherchains" to build upon.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Let's assume, that in ten to twenty years, blockchain is a word everybody knows like everybody knows the word internet.

Ok, if 'blockchain' becomes that ubiquitous then, like the internet, we'll have more and more alts functioning regionally like ISP's and filling their own niches.

So in my estimation: MOON OR BUST!!
Activity: 994
Merit: 513
Hello,

this is probably going to be another controversial topic, but I think, I'd start it for the heck of it. You can all scream at each other about how wrong the other person is, but please refrain from excessive verbal abuse.

To preface this, I'd define "survive" as being at least a few years old, holding steady or rising in value and having no indication of imminent end of the project/blockchain.

Anyway, I was just asking myself this:
At the moment, there are hundreds of Altcoins out there. Let's assume, that in ten to twenty years, blockchain is a word everybody knows like everybody knows the word internet.

How many altcoins/blockchain project/whatever you wanna call it, apart from Bitcoin will be out there? I'm not asking for specific names, I'm asking for an estimation.

I think you can roughly group all altcoin projects into two camps: the "pure" currencies, that are basically value transfer systems and the "blockchain as a service" groups. In both camps, there is a lot of redundancy, so that just a few will survive. I think it is going to be more than just bitcoin, though. BTC and ETH are a realistic scenario, although I's say it would be more like 3-5 value transfer coins plus two BaaS projects, who may have a bunch of different tokens associated with them.

Thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: