Pages:
Author

Topic: How many BTC is in circulation? - page 2. (Read 400 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
May 19, 2022, 07:39:56 PM
Thank you , I am aware of it but I would like to know how many are in circulation and trading and how many are in cold wallets with holders! Is there any precision data in this regard?

You can't know if a coin is in a cold wallet or in a hot wallet, only the owner knows it, from the outside view it's the same. What we can know is the rough estimate of coins in wallets of big exchanges like Coinbase, and we can assume that majority of those coins are actively traded, but even here some percentage of users actually use exchange accounts for long-term storage, even though it's a bad idea. Coins in self-hosted wallets could also be actively traded, this can be spotted if they are moved frequently.

If I were to calculate an estimate for the circulating supply, I would look at all UTXO and consider all coins that haven't been moved in last 2 years as non-circulating, except for coins that belong to exchanges.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
May 19, 2022, 02:12:36 PM
There will only be 21 million bitcoins available because the bitcoin platform operates on a scarcity model.
Miners enforce the rules of the network and distribute the remaining 21 million bitcoins.

And currently around 19 million bitcoins, or more than 90% of the supply, have been mined.

Thank you , I am aware of it but I would like to know how many are in circulation and trading and how many are in cold wallets with holders! Is there any precision data in this regard?

If there would be any data then it would mean that the privacy is not really a choice here. The people sometimes hide their wallets and at the same time there are people who have lost their coins as well who might not have any idea where they are, some of them are also unfortunately passed on as well therefore their family might never know where those coins are hidden as well. Some people like the creator might be ' holding' it forever thus creating a balance between trading and stuff therefore I do think if someone was incharge of data he won't be accurate as well! Therefore I don't understand how one can answer it accurately.
Activity: 84
Merit: 0
May 19, 2022, 01:54:42 PM

Anybody know how many BTC from 19 million minted coin is in circulation and trading in almost three hundred exchanges?
You initially operate with an inaccurate figure of 19 million BTC. Immediately you need to subtract ~1 coins, which is stored on Satoshi's wallet. I can't tell if access to these facilities is lost forever or if it's just being stored, but at the moment, this BTC's don't participate in the circulation for sure. Next, you need to subtract the number of coins, access to which was lost forever. For example, due to a breakdown / disposal in the HDD trash or due to sending BTC to the wrong address, which also leads to their loss forever.

Therefore, it is almost impossible to estimate exactly how much BTC is circulating.

Of the originally conceived 21 million BTC, the world will end up with less than 21 million at its disposal. Also, I assume that over time this figure will decrease, due to future loss of bitcoins.

As far as I heard there are 60 to 63% with hodlers or lost ( anyhow out of the market) and remaining in circulation , it is very important since if hodlers start selling and change their strategy it will change the whole game!

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
May 16, 2022, 02:01:41 PM

Anybody know how many BTC from 19 million minted coin is in circulation and trading in almost three hundred exchanges?
You initially operate with an inaccurate figure of 19 million BTC. Immediately you need to subtract ~1 coins, which is stored on Satoshi's wallet. I can't tell if access to these facilities is lost forever or if it's just being stored, but at the moment, this BTC's don't participate in the circulation for sure. Next, you need to subtract the number of coins, access to which was lost forever. For example, due to a breakdown / disposal in the HDD trash or due to sending BTC to the wrong address, which also leads to their loss forever.

Therefore, it is almost impossible to estimate exactly how much BTC is circulating.

Of the originally conceived 21 million BTC, the world will end up with less than 21 million at its disposal. Also, I assume that over time this figure will decrease, due to future loss of bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 16, 2022, 01:02:04 PM
There will only be 21 million bitcoins available because the bitcoin platform operates on a scarcity model.
Miners enforce the rules of the network and distribute the remaining 21 million bitcoins.

And currently around 19 million bitcoins, or more than 90% of the supply, have been mined.

Not really. You can't tell the difference between a bunch of coins sitting in an address that is a paper wallet sitting in someones safe vs coins that were lost when a PC crashed taking the wallet.dat (or whatever file) with it and coins that are sitting in a hot wallet that the owner has not wanted to spend since 2018 since they cashed out a lot then and are just sitting on the rest.

The ones that are moving are also a guess. If I bought 2BTC on the dip last week from an exchange and withdrew them to stick them in a cold wallet for a decade you really have no way of knowing that either.

There are some sites & people who can give you a really good guess / estimate but you can never be sure.

-Dave
May 16, 2022, 12:44:43 PM

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
May 15, 2022, 12:54:10 PM
You can see the amount of Bitcoins in circulation simply by looking at the unique transaction volume over the past few weeks/months. That would still be inaccurate because you can always mix Bitcoin and the numbers would be inflated. Both trading volumes and declared holdings by exchange would be inaccurate as well because of the abovementioned reasons. You can possibly collate the number of Bitcoins by looking at the different cold storage and hot wallets of the exchange but it is impossible to ascertain the correct amount because no exchange would give any exact values and you can't possibly find all of the addresses associated with the exchanges, barring larger ones.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 448
May 15, 2022, 11:45:21 AM

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971
Block halving is coming.
May 15, 2022, 11:21:32 AM
Why not use Coinmarket or Coingecko? You can see circulating supply on both of them. Check the image below.

Then check this Metrics for exchange balances

Register there for free to check it.
staff
Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129
May 15, 2022, 11:10:48 AM
See this: https://cryptoquant.com/asset/btc/chart/exchange-flows

These lists only include the biggest CEXes and obviously don't have P2P and decentralized platforms like LocalCryptos and BISQ since they're non-custodial.
May 15, 2022, 10:51:30 AM

Pages:
Jump to: