Pages:
Author

Topic: How many of you feel ashamed for recommending Bitcoin to family & friends? - page 3. (Read 3539 times)

Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Well you are not the only person. Despite being so confident in the past and then doing all the best that I can to promote it, somehow I feel it might be a wrong decision after all. Even though there is a glimmer of hope that one day the price will take off and adoption becomes widespread I would rather leave it to the individuals to find out themselves. Better than telling something from my gut feeling that eventually turns out to be wrong
3x2
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004
I recommended to some friends with the warning of uncertain future and price, there is always certain amount of risk when you invest your money.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
I don't feel ashamed, because I never really feel when the price goin' down. Because I started to know Bitcoin when the price is around $400, and I also never buy a Bitcoin with fiat. Instead, I feel proud because the longer my Bitcoin income is increasing.
 Wink Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1399
Merit: 1004
northern exposure
I never feel ashamed with bitcoin and have no reason to think like that because i have strong believe in this true crypto currency.

exactly this. When i recommend bitcoin to family and/or friends,i always advert them about the risk and the advantages, i just leave them the decision to invest on it or not, there is nothing to hide.

I don't. EVerybody already get rich after I suggest them Bitcoin. That was early 2013. Wink

haha you feel like a unlucky man yes?, i know how you feel Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
I dont recommend so much as try to explain the money supply system and why BTC needs to be part of any investment protfolio, eg 2%~5% if considered High risk. Most people understand the need for a diversified portfolio that needs to include some *high* risk.

Personally I see BTC as low risk and FIAT as High risk....but then I have spent years getting to grips with money supply, banking, IT, BTC, programming, Law etc

most people just dont have that time to go into it .... ironically by the function of the the FIAT system mostly.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I recommend Bitcoin as just like other investment instruments, like Stocks, Gold, Real Estate, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1030
I don't. EVerybody already get rich after I suggest them Bitcoin. That was early 2013. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
I don't really see why you would feel shame. You talked about Bitcoin back then because you were excited about the new technology and its potential, that's fairly normal behavior. The actions your family and friends take based on the knowledge you've imparted to them has got nothing to do with you. They are their own person, you can't be responsible for their decisions.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
im not ashamed of recommending it to my friends in the future they will see that i was right when choosing it
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
We all know that bitcoin is unstable. Price is extremely volatile. It is not investment without risk which give you pure profit every time. If that was the case everyone would be riding this bitcoin train by now.
Op I feel sorry for you and I understand that your overzealous attitude caused you and your friends troubles, but that is to be expected in bitcoin world, you will never know.
It was foolish to think that bitcoin will be only stronger and more expensive.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
I'm so proud that all my friends listened to me to buy at 2012 before the first reward halving at least 20xed their investment. They typically bought a couple of coins for their children to play with but now that can buy the children a car. But I still insists that they should hold it for at least 2 reward halving to see the real power of bitcoin's long term anti-inflation potential

By the way, "BLASH" is always a wisdom when it comes to investment of anything  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1848
I mentioned to a few people, shouldn't feel ashamed as everyone has their own choice to make and I can't see any harm in giving people information.  It will pay off in the long run I'm sure.
Activity: 826
That is hard maan unlucky :/ I managed to get there a little before which cost me around 50 -70 dollars and the only guys I spoke with it about, my sister and partners farther all made money from it. It was not as much as they could have because they sold before the all time high. But, glad I don't have to ignore them or the conversation because they lost out like many did. Head up OP and don't let nothing make you feel ashamed, try put a little money aside each week and repay them a percentage of their losses.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014
I started buying bitcoins back in summer of 2013. I was so excited by this new technology and when the price shot up in November, my excitement became contagious. My brother bought a bitcoin for $1000 from me, my mother asked me to buy her one too also at $1000, my niece bought a tenth for $100, my boss bought a few from coinbase, a co-worker bought a few dozen or so until the price dropped to $800. He died about a year later and his family threw away his computer. So those were all lost.

I continued buying in 2014 and then spent a bunch early this year to take care of some things. Anyway, I went over my buys & sales, and discovered that my remaining couple dozen bitcoins cost me around $500 each, despite my use of cost averaging. And I know I did much better than all the people that I know who started buying later than me.

Now I am ashamed to even mention Bitcoin. Everyone I know has lost money and a lot of it. If they ask me about it, I refuse to talk about Bitcoin.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the concept. I am sure the technology will take off in a decade or two. I even use it to send money overseas (using bitpesa) and to fill phones (using bitrefill) all the time.

Anyway, just curious to hear how you all deal with the bitcoin shame from friends & family.

I never advised anyone to buy bitcoins. I always explain the technology, what might be possible in the near future with it, how disruptive it can be, what are the risks and actual downsides. That's it.
When I got asked if someone should buy I always say only if you have some money left what you can afford to lose. Because right now it's still a high bet and very speculative if it well ever become a worldwide success. Some bought 0.5 or 1 Bitcoin. They said let's see what it will be in the next ten years.Others never touched it.

The key is to show the positive and negative aspects.No risk no reward.That is why super early adopters are the lucky one today.
If you own Bitcoin you might be with them in 10 years.But no guarantee.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
I am one of the lucky ones, because I got my family into this and they got a good profit when they sold. It's all about timing... there is a fine line between being zero or a hero in Bitcoinland. Unfortunately the OP

got his family in when the price was at it's highest... if he brought them in and the price went to $10 000 ...He would have been their hero. This is just the way it works in early adoption of new technologies.

The other side of the penny.... if they hoard it and it goes beyond $10 000 ...he will still be the hero.  Wink
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
I would never feel ashamed of talking about Bitcoin, I don't however tend to tell many people about it due to it's complexity and my bad explaining skills Tongue

If I were to explain it to someone I would be sure to point out it's current volatility and that is the main reason I have refrained from telling a few of my café / restaurant owning friends about bitcoin; I would hate for the price to drop on them just after starting to accept it. I did convince my father to buy a few in 2013 when the price was hovering around $250-300 and he then sold some off when the price peaked. He's not the most tech savvy person but he keeps an eye on the bitcoin price and I let him know when it's a good time to buy; so far he is the only person I have shown how to use and buy bitcoin.
Activity: 686
I never feel ashamed with bitcoin and have no reason to think like that because i have strong believe in this true crypto currency.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226
Away on an extended break
I tell them that I buy and hold bitcoin for the idea, and the hope that one day it'll be more mainstream. It's kinda like buying AAPL back in the old days...

It's inevitable that bitcoin would have its ups and downs like any new commodity/stock, but just remember that if you don't sell, you don't actually lose.
Activity: 896
Feel ashamed for what Huh i don't understand what op want to say his story is little bit confused so when we are going to invest in any industry so it comes with risk factor and that nature of any kind of investment.
Activity: 1540
I started buying bitcoins back in summer of 2013. I was so excited by this new technology and when the price shot up in November, my excitement became contagious. My brother bought a bitcoin for $1000 from me, my mother asked me to buy her one too also at $1000, my niece bought a tenth for $100, my boss bought a few from coinbase, a co-worker bought a few dozen or so until the price dropped to $800. He died about a year later and his family threw away his computer. So those were all lost.

I continued buying in 2014 and then spent a bunch early this year to take care of some things. Anyway, I went over my buys & sales, and discovered that my remaining couple dozen bitcoins cost me around $500 each, despite my use of cost averaging. And I know I did much better than all the people that I know who started buying later than me.

Now I am ashamed to even mention Bitcoin. Everyone I know has lost money and a lot of it. If they ask me about it, I refuse to talk about Bitcoin.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the concept. I am sure the technology will take off in a decade or two. I even use it to send money overseas (using bitpesa) and to fill phones (using bitrefill) all the time.

Anyway, just curious to hear how you all deal with the bitcoin shame from friends & family.

Why be ashamed?

They didn't buy it because of you ...as a grown up person they bought it because they found it interesting. If they're pointing finger at you they need to grow the fck up and learn to take everything with grain of salt.

I told people about bitcoin and lot of them bought it..some of them lost money but I told them in the begining that they have to hold it for long term (10-20 yrs) to see any real development and price change and they were okay with it...lot of them still hold it and they bought more.
Pages:
Jump to: