Pages:
Author

Topic: How much would you trust trezor? - page 4. (Read 10232 times)

Activity: 278
Merit: 251
December 08, 2015, 07:39:00 PM
Id personally trust trezor more than I trust myself. That rules out every single computer based bitcoin wallet, and coinbase... Well the turn-off is that I can't import addresses.

I use Trezor with Electrum.  While Electrum won't import private keys, it will sweep them. Once you've done this your funds are under the protection of your Trezor.  The only downside is that you will have to pay a small transaction fee to the miners.  Importing private keys would be a bad idea, because you would gain no protection from the Trezor hardware wallet by doing this, which is why it's impossible.  (And also why Electrum doesn't allow importing private keys.)

I view my real wallet as the piece of paper that I've locked up in a fireproof vault and that contains my seed words.  If your Trezor is destroyed you can recover your funds from the seed words.  You don't even need another Trezor as there are software wallets that can recover your funds.  (But you will need to trust the computer you use.)  $100 for a small, simple computer that you can trust sounds like a very good deal to me. Trezor wallets are very easy to use and I've tested them with Electrum and MultiBit HD and both of these programs can access my funds.

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
December 08, 2015, 07:35:32 PM
what i fear most is that the initial key isn't random enough (but that is also the case with any private key generation let it be core, some offline java generators etc.) and if that kind of problem is discovered at any point in the future it allows to steal your coins no matter how far you went to protect your own copy of a key

other than that i trust trezor enough to have some coins there for every month use

Trezor has the capability to use an alternative entropy source when generating the private key. Not sure whether you can literally seed it yourself (using a physical entropy source), but it can definitely take entropy from the machine/OS you're using the Trezor with.
Activity: 170
Merit: 100
December 08, 2015, 06:46:00 PM
I don't like the fact that you have to log in to some interface to get your coins out of the wallet. What happens if I don't have internet? I don't want to depend on some webpage to get my funds out.

well if you don't have internet connection you won't be able to send that btc anywhere anyway

you don't have to use mytrezor frontend http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/index.html

anyway, now i have one of those Wink

i don't trust it with whatever left from my coins in 100%, but then again i don't trust ANY storage with all my coins

paper wallet is great, but you have to have a lot of knowledge to use it safe, and there is that point that you need to move your private key to some electronic device to spend (i would like to see private key import in trezor v2)

any electronic device, including trezor can be hacked in one way or another, it can be pure firmware\software vulnerability, it can be hardware based software attack https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sps32/mcu_lock.html or something else, it is just a matter of how bad someone want it hacked, how much skills and resources he has and how much your devices are exposed - there is almost always some 0day available for your OS, browser, wallet, IM, etc., and if is not there right now it will be soon enough

but with reasonable precautions you can be safe enough

what i fear most is that the initial key isn't random enough (but that is also the case with any private key generation let it be core, some offline java generators etc.) and if that kind of problem is discovered at any point in the future it allows to steal your coins no matter how far you went to protect your own copy of a key

other than that i trust trezor enough to have some coins there for every month use
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
December 08, 2015, 06:32:23 PM
Id personally trust trezor more than I trust myself. That rules out every single computer based bitcoin wallet, and coinbase... Well the turn-off is that I can't import addresses.

That part is very nasty. Not be able to use your own/previous wallets makes it not usable (for me at least). The overal reviews i read about trezor are quite good actually.
Maybe I will buy some one day, just for kicks.

That's ridiculous. What kind of person trust a hardware more than himself? I never trust electronic equipments.

The problem is that humans are predictable... You may trust yourself more than an electronic device, but when it comes to securing something, you will be much more likely to make a mistake than the electronic device.

Remember, it is not the device that installs a keylogger or vrius on your electronic device, it is you that does it.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
December 08, 2015, 06:28:04 PM

As I mentioned above somewhere in this thread, I like the Trezor!  (I also like the Ledger Nano)

The only thing that worries me a bit about the Trezor (besides "insider hacking" problem just written above) is that the device seems plastic-y and not very sturdy looking.

Has ANYONE had a Trezor fall apart?

Mine has not, but it just seems flimsy.

It is plasticky but it is also very, very light. I am sure that even if you would throw it from few meters height, it wouldn't fall apart. I am not sure about the components inside, are they shock resistant? I wouldn't imagine so.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
December 08, 2015, 06:20:21 PM
I don't like the fact that you have to log in to some interface to get your coins out of the wallet. What happens if I don't have internet? I don't want to depend on some webpage to get my funds out.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
December 08, 2015, 06:16:47 PM
I don't trust myself, how could i trust other company, even if their source code gets audited coz its open source?
It have most trust amongs hardware wallets but still...
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
December 08, 2015, 06:12:38 PM
I don't think you can mess with Trezor, because it is a hardware wallet.
Its impossible to crack unless you give someone your wallet.
I don't understand how its even possible to be insecure.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
December 08, 2015, 06:11:02 PM

That part is very nasty. Not be able to use your own/previous wallets makes it not usable (for me at least). The overal reviews i read about trezor are quite good actually.

That's ridiculous. What kind of person trust a hardware more than himself? I never trust electronic equipments.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
December 08, 2015, 06:09:44 PM
I currently have ~2 BTC stored in a Ledger Wallet. It's cheaper than trezor and IMHO it offers the same security... what do you guys think?

Ledger is fine. Because of the lack of a screen you have to take care to set it up on a box you know is clean, but they sell a Starter to help with that. I use both and find myself using Trezor more often but that is personal preference.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1043
Cypherpunk (& cyberpunk)
December 08, 2015, 06:03:10 PM
I remember when I first bought it. Their site was down 3 hours after of putting my BTC inside. I was sweating for 10 minutes. Feeling was really bad.
Eventually, site got back up and life continued.

I love Trezor.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
December 08, 2015, 05:59:30 PM

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
December 08, 2015, 05:48:22 PM
I currently have ~2 BTC stored in a Ledger Wallet. It's cheaper than trezor and IMHO it offers the same security... what do you guys think?
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
December 08, 2015, 05:45:20 PM
The current price for a Trezor is about 0.4 BTC.
I recommend you wait until your bitcoin holdings are 10-20 times that (4-8 BTC) before you invest in a Trezor.

Your logic is flawed. No amount of bitcoin is too small to lose to malware. New users should start right with a hardware wallet and then would never have to worry about malware stealing their bitcoin. If you can not afford a Trezor the Ledger HW.1 sells for less than $20.
Activity: 412
Merit: 251
December 08, 2015, 05:30:38 PM
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
December 08, 2015, 05:26:56 PM
Trezors are great. Even using it is childsplay. However don't go all playing stuntman with it. The device itself is strong, but it would probably not survive some water or a fall from a higher ground.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
December 08, 2015, 04:15:19 PM

As I mentioned above somewhere in this thread, I like the Trezor!  (I also like the Ledger Nano)

The only thing that worries me a bit about the Trezor (besides "insider hacking" problem just written above) is that the device seems plastic-y and not very sturdy looking.

Plastic-y is not neccesarily a bad thing. It allows for cheaper production and is just as durable as a metal casing. The only thing is that it feels weak and cheap, but that shouldn't be much of a problem right?
Unless you really use it on a daily basis, than I can imagine that you want something stronger.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
December 08, 2015, 04:09:22 PM

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003
December 08, 2015, 03:34:43 PM
What ever you use you should trust them, like coinbase, like xapo or like ledger you should trust them a little bit to use their service, so nothing is 100% safe but you should trust them.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.
December 08, 2015, 03:27:45 PM
Im not bitcoin rich enough to get a trezor. It would be
like buying a $300 wallet to keep $100 in lol.  I dont think
its a bad deal at all if you were an early adopter and your
sitting on a pile of coins.

You could be said to be an early adopter being here since January 2012. Anyway It is a shame in all this time you didn't build a stack of bitcoins and be able to store some of them away on a Trezor Wink

op I have a Trezor among others and hold the most in Trezor as I feel that is the safest of the hardware wallets. I trust it enough to store a good amount of bitcoin on like yourself and has been a good choice until now! I don't have any doubts it will continue to be.

Edit: Disclaimer, I don't have a massive amount of coins but the price is small really to make your coin that bit safer. I trust them the most of all the hardware wallets and even more so as I have a trusted friend also look over the code and tell me as far as he can see all is good. Many experienced people have also had their eyes on the code etc
Pages:
Jump to: