Pages:
Author

Topic: How often do you send PM's? - page 2. (Read 466 times)

global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
September 26, 2019, 02:35:25 PM
I don't really get into intense discussions nowadays so most of my messaging is usually moderation related. However, unless it's a personal matter (direct requests, notifications of a discussions related to my actions, etc.), I prefer to keep the discussion public and in the thread. It always felt weird when I commented on someone else's thread (either positively or negatively) and they directly messaged me about it instead of just replying in the topic.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
September 26, 2019, 02:33:03 PM
When I need to point out something to a person without polluting a thread with topics which are more off-topic than on-topic.

For example, I literally just PM'ed someone calling them a troll instead of posting that out in the thread he commented, which would be totally off-topic. Smiley
Or like a few hours ago when I PM'ed someone answering/clarifying something he pointed out in another thread (which doesn't fit the point of the thread).

legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 2736
Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o
September 26, 2019, 02:31:10 PM
I always try to keep everything in public. I am not a big fan of PMing users unless it's about asking something personal. However did someone notice some users send you PM when they add you to their trust list, when they send you a feedback or when they talk to you in a conversation which is not going in their way - they send PMs for clarification.

The last one is okay but I do not think it is okay to send PM when you add someone to your trust list or send a feedback. It feels like you are asking favor in return.

So I'm legit curious as to the what and why of your PM usage.
I have PM conversation with very limited users. Most of them are with my sig managers asking him this and that question and him to me asking to change this and that LOL, some is about EPL pool with hilariousandco, some with the fellow Liverpool fan (you all should know who he is LOL, no homo by the way), a PM conversation about a tag against a shady exchange, about a NEO deal which we kept private, about some escrow which we have done for a pool etc. I think these are reasonable.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036
September 26, 2019, 02:26:12 PM
So I've been wanting to create this topic for a while as it seems people vary widely on when, how, and why they chose to PM or not. I've held off as it seemed for a while the use or lack of use of PM's seemed to be an issue and I didn't want it tied to any one instance, as that's not why I'm creating this thread.

There are always disagreements and misunderstandings between users, or even the perception of injustice based on personal opinions. I've never really seen the benefit to creating an entire thread when a simple PM could suffice. This can easily clear the air a lot of the time without bringing in the peanut gallery, which more often than not can aggravate the situation. It makes total sense if you've attempted to reach out and receive no response or if someone is defaulting and no longer communicating.  I personally prefer to PM users for a variety of reasons, some could have been threads or topics some definitely not. 
  • Instead of posting @whoever if I want to draw their attention to something
  • If perhaps someone is being called out or questioned on something but isn't a part of the thread yet
  • When something seems off to me
  • For opinions on people without dragging them through the mud first
  • For advice on something specific and/or just to chat
  • To notify some of trust list changes or reasoning
  • hammer out the details of a deal/trade before posting the agreed upon facts

I guess it just boils down to personal preference, that and some people love to grab the popcorn and watch the fireworks. Perhaps a bit jaded in my perception as well but sometimes it just feels like a way to get a couple more posts in that week.  So I'm legit curious as to the what and why of your PM usage.
Pages:
Jump to: