Pages:
Author

Topic: How stable will bitcoin be? - page 2. (Read 16019 times)

Activity: 454
Merit: 250
December 18, 2016, 01:14:58 AM
volatility is being reduced as market cap is growing, you may think a increase of 50 usd in value is very volatile now but reading the history charts they show pumps or dumps of more than 25% in a single day was a daily basis.  Grin
hopefully we are now inside a steady uptrend.
That's probably the area we are in. The bullish trend at the moment is gradual, yet strong and without large scale dumps. And with respect to the volatility years ago, in fact Bitcoin is reaching better levels as time passes, I think this is good for the general user, who tries to adopt a new currency.
Activity: 910
Merit: 550
December 18, 2016, 12:36:50 AM
Bitcoin will never be stable if you could see the graph of the price of bitcoin this past few years its not stable but bitcoin will never be disappear as long as there are many investors and new users eachday remember that bitcoin users is a huge part of the economy of bitcoin without users bitcoin will never grow.
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
December 18, 2016, 12:24:12 AM
So, supposing bitcoin, or some variant, manages to completely replace the world's currencies.  This will certainly make some governments unstable, some might well collapse - see http://freedomainradio.com/board/forums/t/19983.aspx

But, there's a big problem here, bitcoin requires electricity and global internet to function well, and these kinds of services probably won't be so stable without working government.

So... bitcoin substitutes currency, government is destabilized, society descends (or ascends?) into anarcy, electricity & internet become unstable, society descends into the next dark age.  Has anyone thought about that?

Welcome fergalish

Bitcoins will 'never' replace other 'world currencies'. That's a bit like suggesting that PayPal will replace the USD or that Gold will replace Oil or that credit cards will replace paper money. They are just not the same thing, however which ever way you look at it they all help the world go around. Grin Bitcoins are just another currency.

Yes Bitcoin requires electricity and the internet to function. However, this hopefully doesn't rely only on Governments, you are ignoring Capitalism, the 'Corporation' and the free market. Are you suggesting that Bitcoin runs on the cypher net ?  Cool Huh

Anarchy ? That's wishful thinking ! Such is the price of progress... lol
I agree, don't thank no government is gonna make bitcoin a world currency or nonathat.  But if you all want it to be a currency, then it'd be a dang good thing if it were stable, wouldn't it?  We nowhere near that right now.  Bitcoin be up an' down like a goddamn yo yo.  That be nice if you gamblin' on it but real bad if you spendin' it.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
December 18, 2016, 12:00:50 AM
Bitcoin in my opinion will never be stable even if it replaced other currencies since volatility will always be present since bitcoin is being traded in a free market. It will just be stable for a week or so and then it's price will move later on if someone buy and someone sells. That's how bitcoin works. Also if government collapsed and internet and electricity becomes unstable, then I think less users will use bitcoin unless there will be a way to spend bitcoin without internet and electricity in that time.
Activity: 770
December 17, 2016, 11:00:48 PM
One good thing about Bitcoin is the price is not stable. I say it is a good thing because traders are most likely will earn because of the unstable of Bitcoin price buy low and sell high.
However, it is unpredictable. Bitcoin can easily be affected by many events aroung the world. These Consequences are most likely happen every two weeks. Traders can not foretell them and it is hard to know when to sell or to buy them
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1306
December 17, 2016, 04:00:31 PM
I started to think that volatile prices keep people hyped
And it doesnt really damage money, cause its limited supply.
So I think bitcoin should never be stable at all.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
December 17, 2016, 03:08:03 PM
I think bitcoin will never be a stable price. I guess bitcoin
has been created not to be stagnant price but design to be
a volatile price. Because if bitcoin will stable others wont get
easily earn money.

Volatility is needed to attract fresh money from people around the world. That's how you keep the market liquid. But then you can also say that when there is a decent level of stability. It will attract fresh money from people looking to use Bitcoin as long term store of value tool. Either way, money will flow into the Bitcoin eco system.
Activity: 700
December 17, 2016, 02:53:22 PM
in the past few months the bitcoin's price was very stable and i think it is going to stay stable for quite some time which is good because this will make investors trust this currency more and we might see it becoming used everywhere on the internet , it is true that we can't replace real money with bitcoin because if there is no internet there is no bitcoin but as long it exist as long we will see bitcoin
As internet is now one of the most important part of our life. And specially the new generation are totally depending on it, as they now giving preference to online trading and business hence we cannot think about internet to remain absent from our life.

Bitcoin can replace fiat if all the people of the world start using bitcoin and ignore fiat. This way we can expect bitcoin will stay with us as a stable currency for ever.
Activity: 1134
Merit: 502
December 17, 2016, 12:24:59 PM
One good thing about Bitcoin is the price is not stable. I say it is a good thing because traders are most likely will earn because of the unstable of Bitcoin price buy low and sell high.
Activity: 588
December 17, 2016, 10:35:46 AM
So, supposing bitcoin, or some variant, manages to completely replace the world's currencies.  This will certainly make some governments unstable, some might well collapse - see http://freedomainradio.com/board/forums/t/19983.aspx

But, there's a big problem here, bitcoin requires electricity and global internet to function well, and these kinds of services probably won't be so stable without working government.

So... bitcoin substitutes currency, government is destabilized, society descends (or ascends?) into anarcy, electricity & internet become unstable, society descends into the next dark age.  Has anyone thought about that?

First your link is not working "Sorry, we couldn't find that!". You know what bitcoin require, and how much of it bitcoin needs to be stable, just you forget about fiat :
https://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/129814/factory-inside_large.JPG
    What you people think that fiat money is made from air? And all their factories dont need electricity, and man power, big machines?
"So... bitcoin substitutes currency, government is destabilized, society descends (or ascends?) into anarcy, electricity & internet become unstable, society descends into the next dark age.  Has anyone thought about that?"  What??? Are you living in EU or USA, maybe Australia or Kuwait? That is happening for last 100 years without break. Its like that in my country, and believe there is countries in much worst situation then my country. People wake up!
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
December 17, 2016, 10:22:20 AM
easily earn money.

There is nothing inherently stable or unstable about Bitcoin's design. It is just that when the market cap is relatively small, actions by a few players can move the market. Once the market cap increases, this problem should be solved.

It won't be solved just for the increase in the market cap

The market cap itself reflects the price of Bitcoin. If the latter is set to increase, so will the former. I specifically mention this so that we could speak directly in terms of price, not some obscure concept like market cap, which may mean a thousand different things. The price will increase if the demand for bitcoins rises (or supply decreases, which is essentially the same), which would lead to more bitcoins being stashed away (otherwise the price simply wouldn't rise). This basically means that less amount of bitcoins will be traded, and, consequently, you will be able to move the price with less bitcoins than it is required now (to move the price for the same percentage). Thereby, we can only expect the rise in volatility with the rise in price. I would be happy to hear any plausible arguments refuting this approach, but so far I'm heavily inclined to think that the things will unfold exactly in this way
Activity: 357
December 17, 2016, 09:58:22 AM
Yes the stability of bitcoin will be affected if is there is any interruption in Internet or in electricity. But we cannot expect a worldwide interruption. That is the reason bitcoin will have no problems on any circumstance.

There are countries which are having uninterrupted power supply for decades, one good example is Singapore.

If there is ever a worldwide interruption then we need to worry about surviving and not silly little bitcoins.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
December 17, 2016, 09:55:12 AM
easily earn money.

the way bitcoin price is volatile these days is not because of its design!

it is because the market is not yet big enough and exchanges are too small, and with the smallest change price goes wild. in the future as more people start using bitcoin changing price also becomes harder.

think of it this way, if you spread FUD about gold, gold price may only go down half a dollar but spread the same FUD about bitcoin and it goes down $50. now compare bitcoin with 2011 the same FUD could hit the price $500
Activity: 1148
Merit: 528
December 17, 2016, 02:54:54 AM
Actually bitcoin wont replace currencies because some problems of bitcoin is facing. First, it has no physicality. Second, you need electricity and internet to use it. Third, its unstable. The price can crash anytime. Bitcoin can be useful for investments. It wont replace any currency but it can be use as subtitute.
Yes, bitcoin is not here to replace any currency, bitcoin itself a currency and now people started using bitcoin as currency even in their local shops, although bitcoin is depending on internet and electricity, but I think in present time all of our banks that deal in fait currency also mostly depend on internet and electricity, therefore I think it is not a valid reason to reject bitcoin as currency and to use it only for investment purpose.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
December 17, 2016, 02:46:35 AM
volatility is being reduced as market cap is growing, you may think a increase of 50 usd in value is very volatile now but reading the history charts they show pumps or dumps of more than 25% in a single day was a daily basis.  Grin
hopefully we are now inside a steady uptrend.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1041
December 17, 2016, 02:27:18 AM
easily earn money.
well. in some points you have a valid point. bitcoin is basically designed for Traders and for exchangers.. if bitcoin price stable at one price and don't go up and down. than it won't remain an Ideal Currency for traders. right now traders and miners love bitcoin because it have the potential to give lots of profit..
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000
December 17, 2016, 02:17:34 AM
easily earn money.

There is nothing inherently stable or unstable about Bitcoin's design. It is just that when the market cap is relatively small, actions by a few players can move the market. Once the market cap increases, this problem should be solved.
About making money, Bitcoin was not just made for the day traders.  Smiley
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
December 16, 2016, 12:51:39 PM
So, supposing bitcoin, or some variant, manages to completely replace the world's currencies.  This will certainly make some governments unstable, some might well collapse - see http://freedomainradio.com/board/forums/t/19983.aspx

So... bitcoin substitutes currency, government is destabilized, society descends (or ascends?) into anarcy, electricity & internet become unstable, society descends into the next dark age.  Has anyone thought about that?

Welcome fergalish

Bitcoins will 'never' replace other 'world currencies'. That's a bit like suggesting that PayPal will replace the USD or that Gold will replace Oil or that credit cards will replace paper money. They are just not the same thing, however which ever way you look at it they all help the world go around. Grin Bitcoins are just another currency.

Yes Bitcoin requires electricity and the internet to function. However, this hopefully doesn't rely only on Governments, you are ignoring Capitalism, the 'Corporation' and the free market. Are you suggesting that Bitcoin runs on the cypher net ?  Cool Huh

The discussion are going too far, let's back to the topic up here.
We do thinking and predicting about how bitcoin will be in the future, for 2-5 years later is more reasonable to predict if you have exceptional analytical skills about world economics with all of the factors affecting it. Yes, I agree if bitcoin won't replace any currency as we need every currency as state based exchange rate and medium of exchange. Too far to say bitcoin would make government become unstable and created anarchy.

I really liked and truly believe what you told is correct Mr.Fergalish, as everyone wants bitcoin to replace the currency of world currency but everyone forgets that it cannot be possible , Bitcoin is mostly should be used as investment option and another currency to enjoy the online purchase and other works.
Activity: 910
Merit: 523
December 16, 2016, 12:40:33 PM

Welcome fergalish

The discussion are going too far, let's back to the topic up here.
We do thinking and predicting about how bitcoin will be in the future, for 2-5 years later is more reasonable to predict if you have exceptional analytical skills about world economics with all of the factors affecting it. Yes, I agree if bitcoin won't replace any currency as we need every currency as state based exchange rate and medium of exchange. Too far to say bitcoin would make government become unstable and created anarchy.
Activity: 672
December 16, 2016, 12:28:49 PM
easily earn money.

It depends on the demand, if the demand increases so does the price, but if the demand decreases then the price will start being stable i guess, because we have a limited amount of bitcoins in circulation which makes the price grow when the demand and usage increases.
Pages:
Jump to: