Pages:
Author

Topic: How to add message in Bitcoin tx - page 2. (Read 389 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
May 30, 2023, 12:11:50 AM
Yes, you can do that using OP_RETURN. I'm not sure about other wallets, but I know Electrum supports it. Here's a step-by-step guide for it:

https://armantheparman.com/op_return/

Make sure to read the warnings.
I don't know what I'm missing, pardon me. I can't see the spend option either. I'm trying to spend funds from the address list of coins tab. What does this "spend from" mean? Spend from X address? Then is it the same as "Add to coin control" in the current version of electrum?

Sorry, if it is a little bit out of topic, but I find all this very interesting, because I've always wondered how you can technically write a message in the coinbase transaction when you find a block as a mining pool ?

Is it just the pool that defines a message in their node that will be displayed in all the coinbases of the blocks it finds?

How did it work in the past, when we solo mined with Bitcoin Core? Was it possible to choose a text  that was integrated into the coinbase transaction?

I can't tell you how as I'm not an expert but I can say yeah, you can attach a message to the coinbase data. Genesis block has this message attached by satoshi-
The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
if you check the block's coinbase data, you will find many of them has message attached to the coinbase data although most of them are meaningless. One of the blocks after the last halving (can't remember exactly) had something like "Last time to buy below $10000." How nice the message was!

Also, as an end user, we can attach a message to our transaction as well. I was trying to figure out that so I can attach messages in my future txs, just for fun though but I have something in mind for the future. I can utilize this feature.
Activity: 504
Merit: 1065
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 29, 2023, 09:27:46 PM
Sorry, if it is a little bit out of topic, but I find all this very interesting, because I've always wondered how you can technically write a message in the coinbase transaction when you find a block as a mining pool ?

Is it just the pool that defines a message in their node that will be displayed in all the coinbases of the blocks it finds?

How did it work in the past, when we solo mined with Bitcoin Core? Was it possible to choose a text  that was integrated into the coinbase transaction?
rby
Activity: 742
Merit: 611
Brotherhood is love
May 29, 2023, 07:00:02 PM
Well detailed tutorial here.
Yes, you can do that using OP_RETURN. I'm not sure about other wallets, but I know Electrum supports it. Here's a step-by-step guide for it:

I want to re emphasis from the article, the two places where you can lose all your bitcoin or 90% of it to miners so that you will be more careful at this stages.

First, select any UTXO you wish to spend (Learn more on what a UTXO is). In the address window (or coins window), right-click the particular UTXO (or address), and select “spend from”:
Then in the “Send” tab, enter an address you wish to send the UTXO balance to (Otherwise it all goes to the miner! Be very careful!).

Final warning: To spell it out further, if you have for example a 1.0 bitcoin UTXO to spend, and you set the OP_Return value to zero sats (good), and an payment of 0.1 bitcoin to an address, and nothing else specified, then the remainder (0.9 bitcoin) will be sent to the miner! Don’t do that

Congratulations LM, looking forward to seeing it in Flush.com campaign payment next week. Grin
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
May 29, 2023, 02:27:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
May 29, 2023, 02:21:49 PM
I have seen a lot of txs add messages to Bitcoin transactions. They are publicly visible through the explorer. If I can remember correctly, there was a message in a block where the miner has written something about the price.
How I can add such a message too in a tx created by me? This has been always my curiosity but I forgot when I'm in the forum lol. Can someone share with me the way to do so? I'm using Electrum only now as I had my pc crashed and I have to download the core and whole chain once again  Cry Can I add a message with Electrum? If not, which wallet should I use for this?
Pages:
Jump to: