Pages:
Author

Topic: How to defend against asics or prove Metroid wrong - page 2. (Read 1184 times)

legendary
Activity: 4312
Merit: 3517
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
might be answered already but if most popular coin algos go to gpu, and say 6 gpu coins dominate with all gpus coins more or less evenly split gpu hashpower wise, whats to stop people suddenly taking the gpu mining power from say 4 coin algos, switching to 5th (very easy to switch algos on gpus) and 51%ing one of the others? take a lot of bad actors and coordination but the possibility is there. it could effectively kill the attacked coin.

at least with asics that are dedicated to a coin you cant use them to attack another coin on a different algo.

just playing devils advocate here. i am all for getting rid of asics, at least until there are many more manufacturers (like dozens) that play fair (ie not limiting supply, mining on them for months before release etc).   
Activity: 106
Merit: 0
can we win against the rich?
can we as a miner GPU remain allowed to actively mine?

your idea is good, please make a referral letter for your idea to crypto .. me as a miner GPU worried can not mine again because asic!

they are a very greedy rich people creating asic into small coin coins!
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
To some extent there are merits in both forms of mining. The main problem as I see it is the centralization of asics around Bitmain which I completely agree is abhorrent.

Decentralization spreads adoption, end of story. 10-100k peeps with a "hobby" will do a lot more to drive adoption than any reasonably honest marketing campaign can.

A couple of years back, there were a ton of opensource initiatives with ASICS that would have stopped Bitmain from getting into the position they're in now. There were even a couple of "commercial" ventures that got badly burnt doing business in China and ended up eating failcake on that account. The current initiatives I see at developing less evil asics seem either scammy as fuck or just as evil as Bitmain.

Forking coins regularly will just drive additional innovation on the Asic front but is in my opinion a more than reasonable stopgap measure. However to do something truly effective, some of those next gen ASICS need to be democratized one way or the other.

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

And how many people can get an ASIC to become miners?

How many people can get gpus AND are willing to invest in them? AMD and nvidia inspires a hell of a lot more trust than Bitmain.

Can you say the next sentence with a straight face? BITMAIN IS A FIGHTER FOR DECENTRALIZATION.

Also for the main reason, immagine how much we can stick it to metroid  Cheesy

We all dont want something like decentralization, I dont own any asic miner as well but Bitmain is too big now, and they have too much money to not only destroy another asics manufacturers also our small GPU miners, to monopolize the market. So we hope now some actions like Monero team who may launch a radical means of combating ASIC-miners through the update of CryptoNight algorithm. But that's all about the efforts of development team, this's quite exciting times, I think Ethereum team also are watching on what happens to Monero. I believe that it would be best practice would be to fork like Sir Phil said.

A few things to note:
1) Bitmain became wealthy because folks bought from them in large scale. Mcafee, genesis mining etc large corporate mining businesses that a centralised hubs for mining now.
2) i say let the btc value go back to zero so these large mining businesses shutdown as running costs get too high (electricity, labor costs etc)
3) devs keep modifying their coins to keep them decentralised (sia tried but failed; monero is trying to beat asics and eth is undecided). Only fork when asic video is launched by manufacturer.
4) just need to figure out how many forks will it take to discourage these asic manufacturers to stop making these new asics (capital losses in millions) to bankrupt them.
5) dont forget why bitcoin came into existence in the first place. It was to move away from corporate suits trying to fabricate regulations only to break it themselves and ending up causing the markets to crash by 6 trillion dollars. Bitmain is turning into another central bank controlled by Jihan and it seems we have created a centralised entity.How is crytpo better than the current banking system if its lost its initial vision and only a few key players hold a majority of the coins/hashing power.....
Activity: 672
Merit: 154
Blockchain Evangelist.

How many people can get gpus AND are willing to invest in them? AMD and nvidia inspires a hell of a lot more trust than Bitmain.

Can you say the next sentence with a straight face? BITMAIN IS A FIGHTER FOR DECENTRALIZATION.

Also for the main reason, immagine how much we can stick it to metroid  Cheesy

We all dont want something like decentralization, I dont own any asic miner as well but Bitmain is too big now, and they have too much money to not only destroy another asics manufacturers also our small GPU miners, to monopolize the market. So we hope now some actions like Monero team who may launch a radical means of combating ASIC-miners through the update of CryptoNight algorithm. But that's all about the efforts of development team, this's quite exciting times, I think Ethereum team also are watching on what happens to Monero. I believe that it would be best practice would be to fork like Sir Phil said.
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
Hi @philipma1957 ,

miners do secure blockchains,
it does not matter what device is used.

The value of a coin does not come out of "how" it is mined.

Use case and adoption gives value.

Cheesy PanneKopp

Also for the main reason, immagine how much we can stick it to metroid  Cheesy
Activity: 182
The possibility for one company mining with their new asics in secret for months, dominating  block chain, before then selling them at obscene prices, reminds me of a kind of insider trading coupled with monopoly. This seems to exemplify some of the worst features of the traditional financial oligarchy.

Maybe GPU mining isn't perfect, megafarms and such. But seems more consistent with solutions to the problems crypto was supposed to solve.

Exactamundo.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
replying to subscribe to this thread due to interest.

good  I would love to  see how this plays out.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
replying to subscribe to this thread due to interest.
Activity: 140
Merit: 2
The possibility for one company mining with their new asics in secret for months, dominating  block chain, before then selling them at obscene prices, reminds me of a kind of insider trading coupled with monopoly. This seems to exemplify some of the worst features of the traditional financial oligarchy.

Maybe GPU mining isn't perfect, megafarms and such. But seems more consistent with solutions to the problems crypto was supposed to solve.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303
https://github.com/ethereum/EIPs/issues/958

Please post your ideas on this topic at github

We are doing something and devs will look for surr
Activity: 45
Why in a freaking hell they like this word of decentralization when it's not?!?! Are mined coins spread across the globe thru geo-nodes equally? No they're not. The fattest wallet gets it first and that is totally wrong, IT breaks the whole idea! What we could do is that we could create the coin spread thru geo-nodes ... what i mean with that ...the country like china could get out of the geo-node only 25 coins! If hashrate cap is reached in that region then there wouldn't be any point in increasing the hashrate in that region as the total payout cap is at reached. And if you add a mining rig circulation into it it, that would add some value IMO.

Activity: 182
Factor in that the government is coming down hard on ico's, further compressing the ecosystem.
legendary
I support the idea of protecting coin algorithms from the use of asics. But how can we force developers to do that. For them, it does not matter who will be able to mining. But for decentralization mining and survivability of the coin is of great importance. How to explain this to the developers, I don't know.

You cannot force anyone to do anything.

In fact, a great many developers are ASIC pro, not against, due to the high volume of hashrate that can be achieved to secure network through PoW.

My firm belief is that GPU mining will ALWAYS have a place, and that the largest component to this is the home user. However, for assurance that this will be the future, there needs to be stability in the GPU mining systems, and the current state of affairs in the GPU market is abhorrent. Almost NO decent GPU can be had, and the manufacturing giants are elevating the prices of GPU's much higher than they are actually worth. This is a side effect, and a negative one at that, of the market at play here. We know, we buy and supply the GPU's. Shortages are not the only problem, though price is a major one.

So ASIC's become much more attractive in that case, as they come close to the price of GPU's in the medium level ASIC market.

What does this mean on an overall level?

Simply that NO ONE can kill ASIC's, just like NO ONE can kill GPU's.

I believe there will be a balance of all mining hardware, and that this balance will be maintained WELL into the future of mining. The fact that the head of nVidia himself believes that mining will be a core aspect of the business proves that the GPU mining will be alive and well MUCH deeper into the future than what anyone can conceive.

As for the Algo change, that is not difficult at all. We know, we have designed a few ourselves which will appear shortly in our coins. Getting around an adaptive ASIC/FPGA miner is!

#crysx

Dont have the misconception that high hashpower = secure.  I for one would rather a lower hashrate but many more people on the network.  And hashrate is reletive to the machines available to mine.  

Wrong ...

That is where 51% attacks come from. Security is a hashrate phenomenon, whether you or I like it or not.

If the network is a GPU hashed PoW and has 25MH, while we come along with our 'theFARM' and thrash the network at 250MH, then the network has a massive issue.

MH or GH, the figures stand.

#crysx

So you are saying when bitmain developed the x11 they couldnt have 51% the dash network....they crushed the network....i.e. asics.

What phil is saying is to be adaptive and change algos.  You have stated that there might be adaptive asics coming out, i am no tech guru but i dont believe thats how asic chips are designed...they do one thing and do that one thing very well

I could make a 4 board miner like the L3   with 4 sets of asics  and a good controller  (fpga)

It would be decent and be able to adapt , but  at a certain point  of complexity it would fail.

My skill set is looking at economic factors  that make coins work.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 1406
I support the idea of protecting coin algorithms from the use of asics. But how can we force developers to do that. For them, it does not matter who will be able to mining. But for decentralization mining and survivability of the coin is of great importance. How to explain this to the developers, I don't know.

In fact, a great many developers are ASIC pro, not against, due to the high volume of hashrate that can be achieved to secure network through PoW.

My firm belief is that GPU mining will ALWAYS have a place, and that the largest component to this is the home user. However, for assurance that this will be the future, there needs to be stability in the GPU mining systems, and the current state of affairs in the GPU market is abhorrent. Almost NO decent GPU can be had, and the manufacturing giants are elevating the prices of GPU's much higher than they are actually worth. This is a side effect, and a negative one at that, of the market at play here. We know, we buy and supply the GPU's. Shortages are not the only problem, though price is a major one.

So ASIC's become much more attractive in that case, as they come close to the price of GPU's in the medium level ASIC market.

I believe there will be a balance of all mining hardware, and that this balance will be maintained WELL into the future of mining. The fact that the head of nVidia himself believes that mining will be a core aspect of the business proves that the GPU mining will be alive and well MUCH deeper into the future than what anyone can conceive.

As for the Algo change, that is not difficult at all. We know, we have designed a few ourselves which will appear shortly in our coins. Getting around an adaptive ASIC/FPGA miner is!

#crysx

Dont have the misconception that high hashpower = secure.  I for one would rather a lower hashrate but many more people on the network.  And hashrate is reletive to the machines available to mine.  

Wrong ...

That is where 51% attacks come from. Security is a hashrate phenomenon, whether you or I like it or not.

If the network is a GPU hashed PoW and has 25MH, while we come along with our 'theFARM' and thrash the network at 250MH, then the network has a massive issue.

#crysx

So you are saying when bitmain developed the x11 they couldnt have 51% the dash network....they crushed the network....i.e. asics.

What phil is saying is to be adaptive and change algos.  You have stated that there might be adaptive asics coming out, i am no tech guru but i dont believe thats how asic chips are designed...they do one thing and do that one thing very well
Activity: 476
Merit: 19
I don't like the idea of having my day to day transaction based on Bitmain.

I don't believe that developers at Etash and even Monero are doing something strong enough to have a decentralize network.
The problem is a complex problem  and need complex and structured answer

There are huge holes leaving the door open to Asic:
for example, to name a few:

1) Mining solo: nobody does that in the normal mining. But allowing to do that open the door to Asic.

2) the developer of the coin MUST have direct relationship with the pool. Where is written that anybody can open a pool ? And distribute coins? If a developer want he can decide to send money ONLY to pools that are registered and that follow the rules indicate. It doesn't make sense that Monero, among others, realize that 1/3 or more of their hashrate is coming from nowhere.

It's like Tesla saying that anybody can sell their car. They are not doing that. The channel ownership  is what define a business.

3) Do we want really 10000 pool spread across the globe in which 2M people mine ? Then algos must be choosen in order to do so.

4) do we want the lower energy for transaction ? well, Algos must be chooosen for that, difficulty increase / block reward need to be stable .

I like and mine Ubiq. They decide what they want and just trying to have the network follow them.
I like the idea of RVN( well, pigeon idea is better). And I will wait to see what they would like to do with "an asic resistant" blockchain
Activity: 391
Merit: 250
aka ...
Hi @philipma1957 ,

miners do secure blockchains,
it does not matter what device is used.

The value of a coin does not come out of "how" it is mined.

Use case and adoption gives value.

Cheesy PanneKopp

You are missing the point, he is not talking about value of a coin.  He is talking about keeping gpu mining alive, and yes miners secure the blockchain but not when asic mining is a mainly centralized venture.  Gpu miners allow for easy entry for people to mine crypto.

Yes  and what  most people do not realize is every home in the world  should have  a good pc with a good card.

I still propose this and gpu mining  becomes a slightly more complex rebate for your machine/pc.

This makes adoption   worldwide
below is a 1750 usd pc if it earns 4 dollars a day

1 year later it earned 1460

pretty good rebate  and many  can go this route  we need this it is important

Dear Phil,

if you propagate the idea,
that mining has to come back to the roots,
the way that users mine on their node the coins that they use,
then I totally agree with you !

If it is about mining as a business, the ones with lowest energy costs will stand longest (not here).

Roll Eyes PanneKopp

P.S. miners do not deliver adoption
legendary
Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---

#crysx

Wrong ...

#crysx

wrong but tricky to make this wrong

Phil16r

already has  
Phil18r
Phil20r
Phil22r
Phil24r

developed

and ready to fork  could do a fork every week

this means no asics can ever het a foothold

Well ...

I did mention that an Algo change would be easy, like you have just mentioned.

I also stated that an Adaptive ASIC/FPGA would be very difficult to get around. Key word here - Adaptive.

These hybrid systems are on the drawing boards, and I assure you will make life very difficult in this arena due to their upgradable flexibility in Algo change. If they are perfected, there will be almost no Algo they couldn't hash, unless they are built with limitations on RAM and capacity of processing. Otherwise, these Hybrids WILL be able to duplicate the vast majority of Algos.

It wasn't long ago that people said 'ASIC proof' then 'ASIC resistant'. Don't think this is science fiction when I mention that these Adaptable Hybrid Miners (I call them AHM - I am creative that way Wink ) are being developed right now. The moment the PHI algo is updated, a software update for the AHM will be available also shortly after.

I am off to bed now for a long drive for Family, so I will not be able to answer any more posts for the time being until I get back, but mark my words that this will happen sooner than you think.

Happy Easter All, and Nite Nite!

#crysx
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
We definitely need complete ASIC immune algos to keep Bitmain out.

Bitmain is making ASICs for the coins which are designed to be ASIC resistant. These coins owes most of their value for being decentralized/ASIC immune/Home mining friendliness but Bitmain has no respect to any of us.

Think about it, Ethereum&Monero clearly advertised their coins for being ASIC resistant. They advertised this as a feature. Now that feature is cracked by Bitmain. That means Bitmain is clearly attacking those coins and they will attack anything they are able to.

What we need is to fuck them right up where it hurts.

Vote with your hashpower, do not buy ASICs.
legendary

#crysx

Wrong ...

#crysx

wrong but tricky to make this wrong

Phil16r

already has 
Phil18r
Phil20r
Phil22r
Phil24r

developed

and ready to fork  could do a fork every week

this means no asics can ever het a foothold