Pages:
Author

Topic: How To Save The Planet With Bitcoins - page 2. (Read 2195 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
May 21, 2012, 06:10:42 PM
Can't tell if serious... but this deserves some lulz Smiley

Not trolling, I believe the threat to be quite real, it's my understanding that another earthquake could cause an above ground cooling pool to fracture and drain exposing spent fuel rods to the atmosphere and igniting them, once ignited they cannot be extinguished and will pollute the atmosphere with more radioactive waste than all other previous nuclear incidents combined. If there is someone on this forum who actually knows something about this topic please comment as I would love to be proven totally wrong about this. Otherwise humanity will need a means of global financial cooperation to solve this problem ASAP. I prefer decentralized, voluntary, non-violent solutions to social problems. That's why I'm proposing bitcoin as the best means to finance what could be the most important engineering project in human history.

Hmmmmm... let's examine the theories using the tools of basic skepticism. Claims:

1) The fukushima plant will get hit with another earthquake so large as to cause all the precautions currently being taken at the site to be futile.  This is possible, but unlikely.
2) The damage from this subsequent earthquake will drain toxic fuel and ignite it into the atmosphere to such an extent it will be the worst nuclear disaster ever! This is possible, but unlikely.
3) The best way to prevent this from happening, is to convince the world to change its monetary system so quickly that Bitcoins become extremely valuable, and then we just convince everyone holding Bitcoins to donate a little bit, and then those funds will be used to clean up the site quickly and take appropriate safety precautions. This is beyond absurd.

So we have Unlikely + Unlikely + Beyond Absurd = good idea???

I can only assume this was a well-presented joke and as such it is pretty funny Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
May 21, 2012, 04:27:13 PM
I guess it's going to be hard living for you know OP. Are you at least keeping back some of your money/income for food? I guess that would mean something is worth more to you than devoting resources to Fukushima though, which seems to contradict your message. Maybe you mostly meant that Fukushima was more important than anything we might be using our money for though.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
May 21, 2012, 04:11:05 PM

Not trolling, I believe the threat to be quite real, it's my understanding that another earthquake could cause an above ground cooling pool to fracture and drain exposing spent fuel rods to the atmosphere and igniting them, once ignited they cannot be extinguished and will pollute the atmosphere with more radioactive waste than all other previous nuclear incidents combined. If there is someone on this forum who actually knows something about this topic please comment as I would love to be proven totally wrong about this. Otherwise humanity will need a means of global financial cooperation to solve this problem ASAP. I prefer decentralized, voluntary, non-violent solutions to social problems. That's why I'm proposing bitcoin as the best means to finance what could be the most important engineering project in human history.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
May 21, 2012, 03:23:44 PM
so if people want to donate to Japan, you suggest they buy bitcoins Huh
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
May 21, 2012, 03:17:12 PM
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
May 21, 2012, 02:26:07 PM
I know the title of this post appears very sensationalistic, but it’s my understanding that as I type this, all life on earth is being threatened by Japans Fukushima reactor 4 (see link below). I personally think it’s high time the worlds best nuclear physicists and engineers get together and workout the best possible solution ASAP. They should not be constrained by a cost parameter; the human species should spare no expense on this one, or risk extinction. It would be foolish for humanity to rely upon the incompetent governments that created this mess to solve it for us. Instead I am proposing that we route around these dysfunctional and easily corruptible systems by crowding fund a massive engineering project in the free market using an experimental, highly liquid, global, decentralized electronic currency that is free from government interference. Bitcoin.

Presently the value of the entire bitcoin economy is approx. $50 million US. Not nearly enough to finance the above mentioned project. This problem can be easily solved. Widespread adoption of bitcoin as a medium of exchange (currency) by billions of people could drive the value of the bitcoin economy from a mere $50 million into the hundreds of billions of dollars. This dramatic increase in value could enable human beings from around the world to voluntarily allocate a portion of their productive capacity to solving what is potentially the most dangerous problem on earth.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120518/fukushima-dai-ichi-risk-reactor-4-120519/

Pages:
Jump to: