Pages:
Author

Topic: How to take keep your BTCs 100% safe? - page 3. (Read 1240 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
September 04, 2017, 11:48:13 PM
Im going to get a Ledger Nano S....but there's a backorder currently.....
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 04, 2017, 11:31:42 PM
Bitcoins are hard to be safe especially if it is placed on third party companies. Because they just hold it down and the only thing you can do is save your password because it is known or hacked by the hackers to say goodbye to your bitcoins because the hackers or the company that you put in your bitcoins will not give you back your bitcoins. It's best to use of the walllet where you hold your private keys because you only know your bitcoins.  And only you can access your wallets theres no other.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
September 04, 2017, 11:17:30 PM
I have two accounts on Blockchain.info. I'd like step by step instructions preferably to how I can keep my current + future coins 100% safe from hacks, forgetting password, authorities shutting down the wallet etc. Seems like authorities can shut down any site they like (recent example btc-e). If I back up my private keys or something like that, maybe then I'll never lose the coins even if I forget Blockchain.info password or if it gets hacked or shut down etc. Right?  I'm not sure how it's all done. Please advise.
If you want to secure your bitcoins, the best way to do is store it in trusted wallets like coinbase. My bitcoins are in coinbase because I know that all of my bitcoins will become safe in coinbase.

you cannot trust any service that is amenable to a writ. On any day your coins can be taken. Even if you only have the private key, when you log in to their service, they can fake the receiving address and you would unlikely know.

They can key catch and more.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
September 04, 2017, 11:01:43 PM
Do you need to continue to use Blockchain.info for your entire balance?

Keep it for transactions and put everything else in a Trezor. It's as save as it gets...just don't lose your passphrase.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
September 04, 2017, 10:56:28 PM
~I'd like step by step instructions preferably to how I can keep my current + future coins 100% safe from ~

step 1: stop using blockchain.info

step 2: learn what real bitcoin wallets are and learn what their differences are.
https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/general-bitcoin-wallets-which-what-why-1631151

step 3: learn what cold storage means
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet

after reading the above links if you still had any questions then feel free to ask those.

if you still insist on using blockchain.info despite it being a bad choice then what you need to do is to
- set up a strong password
- enable 2FA
- backup your recover phrase which is in fact a seed you can use to get back all your private keys using a tool such as this: https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/
Activity: 1428
Merit: 358
September 04, 2017, 10:55:56 PM
I have two accounts on Blockchain.info. I'd like step by step instructions preferably to how I can keep my current + future coins 100% safe from hacks, forgetting password, authorities shutting down the wallet etc. Seems like authorities can shut down any site they like (recent example btc-e). If I back up my private keys or something like that, maybe then I'll never lose the coins even if I forget Blockchain.info password or if it gets hacked or shut down etc. Right?  I'm not sure how it's all done. Please advise.
If you want to secure your bitcoins, the best way to do is store it in trusted wallets like coinbase. My bitcoins are in coinbase because I know that all of my bitcoins will become safe in coinbase.
Activity: 47
September 04, 2017, 10:49:54 PM
use a HD wallet, write down your words in paper, keep paper at a safe place.(bank Huh Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
September 04, 2017, 10:44:42 PM
using any online service is unsafe, they can fake where you are sending coins to as once happened.

Air gapped computer, that signs transactions is your best bet.

I would never use trezor or other hardware solution, you cannot see their OS hardware.

open source air gaped

consider electrum....
Activity: 635
Merit: 251
September 04, 2017, 10:39:54 PM

If you have the seed you can always import it in electrum.
If they theoretically take blockchain.info down it's not like everyone has lost their wallets.

An exchange works in a very different way.
Activity: 644
Merit: 264
Aurox
September 04, 2017, 09:01:30 PM

Your question is complicated since you have to do many things just to make your coins safe. In terms of hacking as long as your bitcoins are placed on a hosted web wallet there is a tendency that it is a possible victim of hacking even giant site are being attacked and so if you store your bitcoins in a hosted web wallet is has still the tendency of being hacked if the site is hacked.

If you want your bitcoin to be safe from hacking store it in your flaskdrive or a hardwallet. But of course if you are not careful it is also some dangers in it.

And do my advise to you my friend is to place your bitcoins on different kind of wallets on different sites. This may not offer 100% guarantee but it would lesser the risk. Just always keep with you the private keys and password or otherwise you cannot access it.

Activity: 35
September 04, 2017, 08:35:10 PM
Pages:
Jump to: