Pages:
Author

Topic: How United are the States? - page 2. (Read 2545 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
May 02, 2014, 09:05:05 PM
I live in Europe now. If I ever wanted to emigrate and start to live in the US which state is the best to live in? I heard that Texas is quite nice place, but people there does not like foreigners too much.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
May 02, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
A large number of people have been moving away from states with high taxes and heavy regulation of business (like New York and California) to states with low (or no) income taxes and a regulatory climate that is more friendly towards business (like Texas, Florida and North Dakota). The governor of Texas has been traveling to other states and actively recruiting businesses to relocate to Texas.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
May 02, 2014, 05:57:21 PM
People from some states feel far more loyal to that state than the US as a whole. The most notable example would be Texas.

When Texans travel, they are likely to tell people they're from Texas, not from America.

Although this is more an issue of pride and has nothing to do with patriotism. Most of Texas and the surrounding states are extremely patriotic. All of America's states have totally friendly borders with other states, and even Canada in some spots. No passport required - in fact, a lot of the time there is no I.D. required. There's just a sign on the road that says "You are now entering this state."

The U.S. has a lot of solidarity when we aren't talking about partisan politics.

The world is so connected nowadays that people seem to care less about the distance between them. I can Skype a friend who is 1,000 miles away. Who cares if he's in a different state? No big deal.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
May 02, 2014, 04:42:28 PM
Can anyone suggest how Americans generally view the partnership with other states?
Does each state have a strong collective identity, or is it rarely expressed? Is the sense of membership of the USA always stronger than towards individual states?
For example, is there any obvious disquiet about the disproportionate contribution to the economic situation that somes states seem to have contributed?
Pages:
Jump to: