Pages:
Author

Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins? - page 20. (Read 42323 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
September 15, 2014, 02:48:35 PM
I would get a tattoo with the private key (encrypted) somewhere on my arm, nobody can't steal it Smiley

Translate it to another language would also help. 16组QT 2 I LQ 7d5我ŸKK怀俄明州金6 MF R无UFZ 3 NZ赫兹
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
September 14, 2014, 05:24:47 AM
I would get a tattoo with the private key (encrypted) somewhere on my arm, nobody can't steal it Smiley
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
September 14, 2014, 04:50:34 AM
25 BTC to cold wallet
25 BTC for shopping
25 BTC for trading
25 BTC for mining/create company
Total 100 BTC
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
September 13, 2014, 08:05:54 PM
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I kinda like having my Bitcoin in an online wallet. It means I can access them anywhere in the world without having to carry anything with me and without incurring fees from CC companies. I've been using Coinbase for a while now and I personally think they're as safe as it gets when it comes to online wallet services. Also they now have the 'Vault' accessible to everyone and it allows you to store big amounts of BTC offline.
I think as long as you use coinbase's vault service it would be somewhat safe to keep your bitcoin there. I would personally prefer blockchain.info above coinbase, but this is personal preference. I would say that if you are going to keep a large amount at coinbase that you will not need in the near future there is no reason not to use their vault services.

Absolutely not advised. Who wants "somewhat" safe? The only methods you should be using for your savings are multiple offline generated paper wallets (with bip38 encryption recommended) and copies on usb stored in multiple safe locations. Other options include Armory wallet generated offline or hardware wallet like Trezor (use a password and store seeds in multiple safe locations). I use all 3 methods.

I would say the chances are likely higher that you would either lose access to your bitcoin or have your bitcoin stolen verses potentially loosing bitcoin from having it stored at coinbase vault. I think the chances of each are very low, but coinbase is likely more secure.

HIGHLY disagreed. This is maybe true only for someone who isn't quite sure what they are doing when it comes to paper wallets/cold storage and encryption. Perhaps you need a little education and practice to feel comfortable and secure?

Also, still a chance coinbase can be hacked. (they don't insure all your coins), their site can go down, it takes 48 hours to withdraw, who knows what else could possibly happen in the future leaving your coins with a 3rd party. I would not feel at all safe and neither should anyone else. I also don't suggest anyone recommending CB Vault as a secure method of storage.
During this 48 hour time-frame if you did not actually authorize the withdrawal then you have the opportunity to cancel/stop the withdrawal, you will be notified via multiple ways that you will likely not miss.

If you have control of your private keys and are using some method of cold storage then you could potentially be notified of a withdrawal, however it would be more or less impossible to stop a TX if you did not actually authorize it.

The point is you have to wait 48 hours for your savings...no thanks. And what about the fact that it is a 3rd party, they could go down when you need your money, their servers and backups could be attacked, they could put a freeze on your account (possibly even out of their own will), I don't see how someone could feel assured their holdings are safe on Coinbase. It's just something people who are too lazy to learn a better method resort to. Your argument about stopping a transaction doesn't apply because they woudn't have my private keys to begin with unless the broke into my house, and another house, compiled the encrypted keys and then cracked the passwords to the paper wallets. Take the time to learn proper storage.
The 48 hour hold is for your protection. It protects you in case your account is hacked, so you have a chance to protect your money from being withdrawn from your account
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
September 07, 2014, 10:45:33 PM
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I kinda like having my Bitcoin in an online wallet. It means I can access them anywhere in the world without having to carry anything with me and without incurring fees from CC companies. I've been using Coinbase for a while now and I personally think they're as safe as it gets when it comes to online wallet services. Also they now have the 'Vault' accessible to everyone and it allows you to store big amounts of BTC offline.
I think as long as you use coinbase's vault service it would be somewhat safe to keep your bitcoin there. I would personally prefer blockchain.info above coinbase, but this is personal preference. I would say that if you are going to keep a large amount at coinbase that you will not need in the near future there is no reason not to use their vault services.

Absolutely not advised. Who wants "somewhat" safe? The only methods you should be using for your savings are multiple offline generated paper wallets (with bip38 encryption recommended) and copies on usb stored in multiple safe locations. Other options include Armory wallet generated offline or hardware wallet like Trezor (use a password and store seeds in multiple safe locations). I use all 3 methods.

I would say the chances are likely higher that you would either lose access to your bitcoin or have your bitcoin stolen verses potentially loosing bitcoin from having it stored at coinbase vault. I think the chances of each are very low, but coinbase is likely more secure.

HIGHLY disagreed. This is maybe true only for someone who isn't quite sure what they are doing when it comes to paper wallets/cold storage and encryption. Perhaps you need a little education and practice to feel comfortable and secure?

Also, still a chance coinbase can be hacked. (they don't insure all your coins), their site can go down, it takes 48 hours to withdraw, who knows what else could possibly happen in the future leaving your coins with a 3rd party. I would not feel at all safe and neither should anyone else. I also don't suggest anyone recommending CB Vault as a secure method of storage.
During this 48 hour time-frame if you did not actually authorize the withdrawal then you have the opportunity to cancel/stop the withdrawal, you will be notified via multiple ways that you will likely not miss.

If you have control of your private keys and are using some method of cold storage then you could potentially be notified of a withdrawal, however it would be more or less impossible to stop a TX if you did not actually authorize it.

The point is you have to wait 48 hours for your savings...no thanks. And what about the fact that it is a 3rd party, they could go down when you need your money, their servers and backups could be attacked, they could put a freeze on your account (possibly even out of their own will), I don't see how someone could feel assured their holdings are safe on Coinbase. It's just something people who are too lazy to learn a better method resort to. Your argument about stopping a transaction doesn't apply because they woudn't have my private keys to begin with unless the broke into my house, and another house, compiled the encrypted keys and then cracked the passwords to the paper wallets. Take the time to learn proper storage.
Activity: 308
September 07, 2014, 05:05:42 PM

September 07, 2014, 04:11:22 PM

Activity: 588
September 07, 2014, 03:11:07 PM

I especially do not like trezor because it is so new and untested against attacks.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
September 07, 2014, 01:15:07 AM
I want to get your guys's take on this.  How many different wallets or paper wallets, do you think that 100 BTC should be spread across? How about 25BTC?
September 07, 2014, 12:26:54 AM

Activity: 588
September 06, 2014, 11:13:23 PM
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
September 06, 2014, 02:06:41 PM
Firstly I would prefer keeping so many coins offline, possibly exchanging them to cash. If I am bound to store then offline/cold wallets are the best move. The wallets will also be provided with additional security like no internet access and complete isolation during non-usage of wallet.
Activity: 56
September 06, 2014, 01:40:13 PM
I would use the Trezor device, it exsist because of that.
legendary
Activity: 1148
September 06, 2014, 01:01:18 PM
legendary
Activity: 1330
Bitcoin
September 06, 2014, 12:38:27 PM
Not gunna lie no wonder we here about Bitcoins being stolen everywhere ....look at some of the suggestions people are offering up ^^ LOL
Activity: 42
September 06, 2014, 12:07:12 PM
Paper wallet? Or a super duper secure online wallet, heavily encrypted with backups.
Activity: 70
September 06, 2014, 11:53:51 AM
In a encrypted HD, with tons of backups.
Activity: 111
September 06, 2014, 07:12:19 AM
TIL a huge number of cold storage coins held by bitcoiners will be lost forever on their death.

My whole family knows vaguely how to get them. I'm sure upon my death they'll do the necessary googling.
Activity: 57
September 06, 2014, 06:47:39 AM
TIL a huge number of cold storage coins held by bitcoiners will be lost forever on their death.

Think of it is a service to you. They are making your coins more valuable.
Activity: 406
September 06, 2014, 06:03:41 AM
Well if I had that many I would definitely store them offline. Probably but a Raspberry pie and get them on there. Also I would put them on a few of those, just in case.
Pages:
Jump to: