Pages:
Author

Topic: I have my wallet.dat from a backup but I can't remember my passphrase - page 5. (Read 17427 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
Honestly, no.

If your seed is restoring a different wallet... And your password isn't working, then your last resort is attempting to bruteforce it.

The use of a seed was meant to help recover from corrupted wallet or forgotten password scenarios, by simply allowing you to completely restore the wallet from just the 12 words.

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the situation where the seed written down doesn't match the wallet in use Undecided

This is why I always test that a recovery seed works and restores the same addresses before using any wallet

Good luck with finding the password... I'm sure the search time is measured in days! Shocked
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
Thanks for your advice i actually doing it i will know you the result.
Can i do something else to try to recover my wallet ?
HCP
legendary
If you know the length of the password and are sure it is just letters (upper and lower case) and numbers, use the %in token... Like this:

All combinations of letters/numbers, 8chars:
Code:
%8in

All combinations of letters/numbers, 6-10 chars:
Code:
%6,10in

Be warned that this will generate millions and millions of combinations and will take a looooooong time to brute force.

Knowing the exact length will help... Knowing even a couple of characters will also reduce the possible combinations by a significant amount... Knowing the structure, ie. 2 letters+4numbers+3letters will also enable you to specify a more exact token file and generate less combinations.
Might I suggest that you attempt to use btcrecover with a KNOWN wallet and password? That way, you can be 100% sure that you have setup btcrecover correctly and that it works the way you expect.

1. Create a new wallet in Electrum... call it "btcrecoverTest"
2. Set password as "abc123"
3. Create a testTokens.txt file containing just one line:
Code:
%3a%3d
NOTE: this testTokens.txt file will generate ALL combinations of 3 letters + 3 numbers

4. run btcrecover using:
Code:
btcrecover.py --wallet btcrecoverTest --tokenlist testTokens.txt --autosave testSave

You should get something like:

As you can see... even a very "weak" password combination of 3 letters + 3 numbers creates over 17.5 MILLION combinations... and will take over 1.5 hours on a Core i5-3570K+8Gigs to test all of them.

It's working, i have clear all the problem with btcrecover. But it still can't find my password.
My password is a combinaison of letters and numbers. How can i make a token to force btcrecover to try all the combinaison ?
HCP
legendary
Might I suggest that you attempt to use btcrecover with a KNOWN wallet and password? That way, you can be 100% sure that you have setup btcrecover correctly and that it works the way you expect.

1. Create a new wallet in Electrum... call it "btcrecoverTest"
2. Set password as "abc123"
3. Create a testTokens.txt file containing just one line:
Code:
%3a%3d
NOTE: this testTokens.txt file will generate ALL combinations of 3 letters + 3 numbers

4. run btcrecover using:
Code:
btcrecover.py --wallet btcrecoverTest --tokenlist testTokens.txt --autosave testSave

You should get something like:

As you can see... even a very "weak" password combination of 3 letters + 3 numbers creates over 17.5 MILLION combinations... and will take over 1.5 hours on a Core i5-3570K+8Gigs to test all of them.
My bad, i always thought that electrum wallet was .dat
Just for the record, i succed using btcrecover. But he gives me an error at some point : "memory full "
He can't finish the process. I try with a smaller tokens files, nothing found.

I'am sick. I don't know what to do. There must be a way.

Can you post a screenshot of your btcrecover window when this error occurs.

Yes i can. I'm actually doing an another try with btcrecover, when it will be finish i will post the screen.
Still looking for a solution at my problem.

There is a way to restore the old password from my wallet ? Can i use an another software for the seed or the wallet ?

EDIT : Btcrecover is stuck after analysing my wallet "wallet difficulty encrypt "
Can't find anything
legendary
Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012
Just for the record, i succed using btcrecover. But he gives me an error at some point : "memory full "

Can you post a screenshot of your btcrecover window when this error occurs.
No... recent Electrum wallets don't use any file extension (ie v2.x etc). The default wallet is called "default_wallet"... any further wallets are given default names like "wallet_1","wallet_2" etc... if you change the name they will be called whatever name you give without a file extension... ie. "MySuperSecretWallet" etc.

If your old file is called wallet.dat then it is likely from either Bitcoin Core or some other altcoin based on the Qt wallets... (dogecoin core, litecoin core etc)

HCP
legendary
No... recent Electrum wallets don't use any file extension (ie v2.x etc). The default wallet is called "default_wallet"... any further wallets are given default names like "wallet_1","wallet_2" etc... if you change the name they will be called whatever name you give without a file extension... ie. "MySuperSecretWallet" etc.

If your old file is called wallet.dat then it is likely from either Bitcoin Core or some other altcoin based on the Qt wallets... (dogecoin core, litecoin core etc)

You need to use --tokenslist 'C:\python27\python\tokens.txt'

Using --passwordlist will treat the items in tokens.txt as the ACTUAL passwords... It won't generate all the combinations.

In other news... Why do you keep blaming Electrum if you had a wallet.dat? Wallet.dat is from Bitcoin Core, not from Electrum... are you sure this "wallet.dat" was from Electrum? Or are you simply basing that on the output from seedrecovery? Huh

In any case, you can't blame the software because you forgot your password.

The extension of a wallet from Electrum is not .dat ? I don't use bitcoincore. I don't forget the password. I' AM SURE.I explain on the other post.
The update of Electrum corrupt my wallet i'm sure of that.

EDIT : now btcrecover refuse to work.. I open it and 1 second later, it close.
When i type C:\Users\Admin>C:\python27\btcrecover-master\btcrecover.py --wallet C:\python27\
btcrecover-master\mywallet --passwordlist=C:\python27\btcrecover-master\tokens.txt

Nothing happens , it get back to C:\users\admin
This is an endless nightmare.
HCP
legendary
You need to use --tokenslist 'C:\python27\python\tokens.txt'

Using --passwordlist will treat the items in tokens.txt as the ACTUAL passwords... It won't generate all the combinations.

In other news... Why do you keep blaming Electrum if you had a wallet.dat? Wallet.dat is from Bitcoin Core, not from Electrum... are you sure this "wallet.dat" was from Electrum? Or are you simply basing that on the output from seedrecovery? Huh

In any case, you can't blame the software because you forgot your password.

Doesn't work... I m' crying right now. It's a fucking nightmare.

I have tokens.txt on the right folder and my wallet on the right folder.
It doesn't reconize anything.

I type -- wallet mywallet and --tokenlist tokens.txt
What the fuck is wrong damn it . Why it is not reconize ?

"No such file or directory tokens.txt" I'm dying. Fucking Electrum

Edit : with --passwordlist it's working.
Now with --wallet it's not working. He don't reconize my wallet, i change the name but nothing. I had extension .dat but nothing.

Are you using the absolute directory path, sometimes if you don't then stuff doesn't work (even if it's in the same folder). Also, uuse speach marks '' to surround the text of the directory/file name.

An absolue directory reference includes the path before it.
E.g
'C:\users\user\appdata\local\bitcoin\wallet.dat' is absolute.

'wallet.dat' - isn't!

I don't understand what you say. I put my wallet on btcrecover folder. I type C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --passwordlist tokens.txt

And always the same error : errno2 no such file or directory "myfuckingwallet"

I can use tokens.txt now, when typing --passwordlist not tokenlist.
But my wallet can't be reconized. ANd when i try to use seedrecover.py it says :
Electrum 2.8+ fully encrypted wallet files cannot be read.. Try to recover from your master extend public key or an adress...

Where can i find the master extend public key ? Maybe this is the solution.
Because btcrecover can't work...
Thanks again Electrum great job.

The Master Public Key... errrr, that file or it can be taken out of that file anyway.
Actually, can you load up the file in electrum? If you have a password just on the private keys and not the entire wallet file than it would be possible to pick up your master public key from that, not sure it can be reverse engineered though but maybe that is what gets searched for in the file then.

I mean run these:
Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet 'wallet.dat' --passwordlist 'tokens.txt'

Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet 'C:\python27\python\wallet.dat' --passwordlist='C:\python27\python\tokens.txt'

And just check it's not a directory issue. If you're not using the quotation marks, on python scripts, that is often how the issue gets caused.

Thanks, finally it's working adding directory path.
Now it can't find the password with my indications... "Using 4 worket Threads" 13of 13
It's very short... 3 Days i'm on it night and day.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

Now with --wallet it's not working. He don't reconize my wallet, i change the name but nothing. I had extension .dat but nothing.

Are you using the absolute directory path, sometimes if you don't then stuff doesn't work (even if it's in the same folder). Also, uuse speach marks '' to surround the text of the directory/file name.

E.g

'wallet.dat' - isn't!

I don't understand what you say. I put my wallet on btcrecover folder. I type C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --passwordlist tokens.txt

But my wallet can't be reconized. ANd when i try to use seedrecover.py it says :
Electrum 2.8+ fully encrypted wallet files cannot be read.. Try to recover from your master extend public key or an adress...

The Master Public Key... errrr, that file or it can be taken out of that file anyway.
Actually, can you load up the file in electrum? If you have a password just on the private keys and not the entire wallet file than it would be possible to pick up your master public key from that, not sure it can be reverse engineered though but maybe that is what gets searched for in the file then.

I mean run these:
Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet 'wallet.dat' --passwordlist 'tokens.txt'

Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet 'C:\python27\python\wallet.dat' --passwordlist='C:\python27\python\tokens.txt'

And just check it's not a directory issue. If you're not using the quotation marks, on python scripts, that is often how the issue gets caused.

E.g

'wallet.dat' - isn't!

copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

E.g

'wallet.dat' - isn't!

HCP
legendary
On the commandline, in the directory where you have btcrecover and where you put your "tokens.txt" file... and where you have been typing your btcrecover command line, try typing:
Code:
dir
and press enter... it will give a list of ALL the files. You will be able to see what the file is ACTUALLY called... I suspect you may have Windows Explorer set to "hide extensions for known file types" (this is a windows default setting) and when you have named your file "tokens.txt", Windows has probably called called it "tokens.txt.txt" Roll Eyes

If you find that it IS called tokens.txt.txt, you might want to set windows to show the file extensions to avoid similar problems in the future: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/26/
Thanks for your help but i have a new problem : Errno 2 no such file or directory "tokens.txt"

But i create it and i put in the same directory i don't understand.

Are you on windows or linux?
Did you rename 'tokens.txt' into how your file is actually named?
According to the documentation it should work that way. Did you try to use the full path instead of just the name of the file?

I' am on Windows. I try it. Dam it's complicated. What i have to write on the file ?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
Thanks for your help but i have a new problem : Errno 2 no such file or directory "tokens.txt"

Are you on windows or linux?
Did you rename 'tokens.txt' into how your file is actually named?
According to the documentation it should work that way. Did you try to use the full path instead of just the name of the file?
Hi,

I try to make a token.list to use btcrecover.
I put my tokenlist on the right folder (btcrecover where btcrecover.py is) but everytime i open it i have this error message :
btcrecover.py error: argument : --tokenlist or --passwordlist is required or file btcrecover-tokens-auto must be present.

#-- my wallet.dat --autosave progress.sav --pause
--tokenlist

Thats a syntax issue. You have to deliver the name of your tokenlist as a parameter after --tokenlist.

Look here for usage:

For example,  windows:
Code:
C:\python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --tokenlist tokens.txt [other-options...]

and linux:
Code:
python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --tokenlist tokens.txt [other-options...]

You'll find more help to syntax/options here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#running-btcrecover

Pages:
Jump to: