Pages:
Author

Topic: I made a giant, overpriced mining rig - page 4. (Read 7818 times)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100
March 25, 2013, 07:07:11 PM
Can you promise to ship in the next .. oh 2 months?

If so, where is the pre-order page?  I'm looking for a 2014 delivery.  Grin
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
March 25, 2013, 07:03:01 PM
My one test was a dismal failure at about 26600 Mh but I was testing on cracking phpBB3 hashes when I got that speed, so I will see for sure in a day or two.

Most likely this will be a bad investment though.  I can face that but I am going to look for ways to "hedge" a potential loss.

Well, according to the Bitcoinx mining profitability calculator, that hashrate would gross $4403.21/month.  Granted, you did spend a lot for your rig, but I wouldn't call that a dismal failure!

Unless I'm mistaken phpBB3 uses md5 hashes (~4x quicker to compute than sha256d) which fits with TCollar saying there's only 12 GPU total (~8GH/s with 7970 for sha256d))...

I hope it's all a big joke...
Activity: 927
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin
March 25, 2013, 07:02:35 PM
What GPUS are you going to be using?
Activity: 671
Merit: 500
March 25, 2013, 06:53:53 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

It'd be nice if lack of pics could get me a refund.

But here we are.  Things happened.

Does google face recognition work for pictures of your rig?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
March 25, 2013, 06:39:39 PM
Failover? Redundancy? can you elaborate further on those topics? because I don't think they apply to the bitcoin world unless we are talking about a pool that needs to be up 24x7 or a market exchange, but from the miner's perspective?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them. 

Redundant means they are the same and have the ability to failover.
I think what he was asking is how you are making this work for bitcoin.
Failing over the running applications does not help you because there is no "progress" in bitcoin mining.

Ok.  Hmmm...  More to test when it gets set up then.

Crap.

I think I may have been a tad done in by hubris in thinking clusters are better at everything.

copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
March 25, 2013, 06:36:20 PM
Just to clarify I have 12 GPU cards.    I do things for failover and redundancy because that is how I set up everything that handles potential income.  It might be excessive but it is just a habit.

As far as ASIC goes,  How many people do you know personally with ASIC rigs? 

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

My one test was a dismal failure at about 26600 Mh but I was testing on cracking phpBB3 hashes when I got that speed, so I will see for sure in a day or two.

Most likely this will be a bad investment though.  I can face that but I am going to look for ways to "hedge" a potential loss.

No pictures yet.  On the off chance this does work, I really don't want copycats with my rig chugging away at what could be my bitcoins.  If it works I might be open to "leasing" as part of my hedge plan.  Being that if it works, I lease instances as a hedge against BTC for dollars.

Failover? Redundancy? can you elaborate further on those topics? because I don't think they apply to the bitcoin world unless we are talking about a pool that needs to be up 24x7 or a market exchange, but from the miner's perspective?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them. 

I'm glad you understand the concepts, but they do not apply to bitcoin mining, or, better said, you'd be a complete fool if you setup failover that provides redundancy in a miner operation, othern than power redundancy.
I want to wish you the best of lucks, you'll need every bit of it.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
March 25, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
+1

We want pics! Anyway, what an ugly choose! 512GB of ram, you are trolling us, correct?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them.  

Yes... you must be really trolling.

GG Smiley

Do you think I could use my cluster for trolling and make some trollcoin with it?

Certainly  

Seriously now, some pics would be nice. They worth more than 1k words.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
March 25, 2013, 06:36:35 PM
Failover and cluster are two concepts that doesn't really apply to mining.
Activity: 471
Merit: 256
March 25, 2013, 06:35:38 PM

I think what he was asking is how you are making this work for bitcoin.
Failing over the running applications does not help you because there is no "progress" in bitcoin mining.
March 25, 2013, 06:34:22 PM
+1

We want pics! Anyway, what an ugly choose! 512GB of ram, you are trolling us, correct?

GG Smiley

Do you think I could use my cluster for trolling and make some trollcoin with it?

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
March 25, 2013, 06:27:24 PM
+1

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them.  

GG Smiley
March 25, 2013, 06:27:19 PM

It'd be nice if lack of pics could get me a refund.

But here we are.  Things happened.

March 25, 2013, 06:25:48 PM
Just to clarify I have 12 GPU cards.    I do things for failover and redundancy because that is how I set up everything that handles potential income.  It might be excessive but it is just a habit.

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

No pictures yet.  On the off chance this does work, I really don't want copycats with my rig chugging away at what could be my bitcoins.  If it works I might be open to "leasing" as part of my hedge plan.  Being that if it works, I lease instances as a hedge against BTC for dollars.

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
March 25, 2013, 06:22:46 PM
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
March 25, 2013, 06:19:40 PM

Well, according to the Bitcoinx mining profitability calculator, that hashrate would gross $4403.21/month.  Granted, you did spend a lot for your rig, but I wouldn't call that a dismal failure!
copper member
Activity: 1428
Merit: 253
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
March 25, 2013, 06:17:13 PM

March 25, 2013, 06:19:33 PM
I'm guessing copycats are the absolute least of your worries. I hope you have a use for this hardware beyond mining.

Heh. You are probably correct.  But it is unique on the inside but really, really boring on the outside (quad 6U cases being driven to two racks somewhere now). 

March 25, 2013, 06:16:22 PM
Very interesting choice on BSD for the OS as opposed to win/linux.  How's the driver support?

The controller is *BSD.  The rest is CentOS.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
March 25, 2013, 06:14:09 PM
I'm guessing copycats are the absolute least of your worries. I hope you have a use for this hardware beyond mining.
Activity: 6
March 25, 2013, 06:11:47 PM
Very interesting choice on BSD for the OS as opposed to win/linux.  How's the driver support?
Pages:
Jump to: